Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1926 Shotwell Set (Gridiron Greats Article) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209241)

TanksAndSpartans 07-28-2015 10:39 AM

1926 Shotwell Set (Gridiron Greats Article)

Just got to reading the new issue of GG and this was my favorite article - great job Jeff!

I really like that the article includes the history of the Shotwell company and lots of interesting non-card images like an ad display, 2 wrappers, and a box.

Some questions:

Can someone please post the reverse of one of the ad back cards, so we can see the ad?

Does anyone have the 11x14 photo?

There's a great image of the front cover of the album in the article, what's the rest of the album like? How many pages does it include? All photos or some text too?

For a collector who wanted the earliest Grange card (as opposed to the the 33 GSK "rookie"), we don't really know which one it is right? It could be the strip card or the Spalding or the Shotwell?

jefferyepayne 07-28-2015 12:54 PM

Glad you like it, John. There was supposed to be a scan of the ad back in the article but it must have gotten cut due to space constraints. Here is one:

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgall...127_008221.jpg

The album has text and photos in it. I'll try to scan some more pages of it after the National. It's a nice companion piece to snag!

My bet is that the W590 Grange strip card is his first card. We know these strip cards began production in 1925 but don't know for sure whether ALL of them were printed that year.

The Spaldings have a copyright of Nov 1926 on them so its unlikely the Grange in this set is the first. However since the Grange wasn't distributed with the set and was likely a sales sample, it probably was produced earlier in the year. A sheet of prototype / sample cards from 1925 came up for auction a while back so it looks like they were originally planning to release the set earlier than they did. No grange was on that sheet, though.

We know the Shotwell's were produced sometime after Alfred Shotwell and Grange agreed to a deal in Dec 1925. Since the movie "One Minute to Play" wasn't filmed until May/June of 1926, at least the Blank Back Shotwell's probably weren't released until the movie was released that Fall. No one knows for sure whether the ad backs were released before, at the same time, or after the blank backs.

Based on what I know, I'm going with:
Late '25/early '26 for the W590 Grange
Early '26 / mid year '26 for the Spalding Grange
Fall of '26 for the Shotwell Grange's

jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezHood (Post 1435809)
Just got to reading the new issue of GG and this was my favorite article - great job Jeff!

I really like that the article includes the history of the Shotwell company and lots of interesting non-card images like an ad display, 2 wrappers, and a box.

Some questions:

Can someone please post the reverse of one of the ad back cards, so we can see the ad?

Does anyone have the 11x14 photo?

There's a great image of the front cover of the album in the article, what's the rest of the album like? How many pages does it include? All photos or some text too?

For a collector who wanted the earliest Grange card (as opposed to the the 33 GSK "rookie"), we don't really know which one it is right? It could be the strip card or the Spalding or the Shotwell?

TanksAndSpartans 07-28-2015 05:49 PM

Great post - thanks Jeff - I appreciate it.

Publius 08-01-2015 07:59 PM

Jeff
There was a letter the Spalding co sent out to players they wanted in the set, and the letter mentioned an example included with the letter of what the set would look like. I always assumed the example mentioned was the Grange card. The date of the letter was April of 1926.

That stip card is ugly, so I hope that's not it. :)

SPC I read might have been 1926?

Excellent article by the way, I read it front to back

jefferyepayne 08-02-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 1436981)
Jeff
There was a letter the Spalding co sent out to players they wanted in the set, and the letter mentioned an example included with the letter of what the set would look like. I always assumed the example mentioned was the Grange card. The date of the letter was April of 1926.

Yeah, that's why I said "early '26s / mid year '26" for Spalding. Whether the example in the letter was of Grange or not, it was clearly not distributed with the set and so had to have been a promotional / sales piece of some sort distributed beforehand.

Mike B, Ty, and I were talking at lunch at the National about these types of mysteries in the hobby and how much fun it is to try and solve them. It's what keeps many of us interested in these cards and their story.

jeff

Exhibitman 10-09-2017 10:24 AM

1926 Amatller?

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...Grange%201.JPG

jefferyepayne 10-09-2017 01:52 PM

No doubt the Amatller is in the mix, Adam, given its 1926 date.

Had forgotten all about this thread! Thanks for bumping it.

jeff