Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How is a variation handled by PSA that they currently don't have listed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246410)

insidethewrapper 10-19-2017 02:44 PM

How is a variation handled by PSA that they currently don't have listed

How is a card variation graded by PSA if I send it in and they don't currently have that card listed in their master set ? Do they list the new variation on the label or not recognize it ? Do I wait until the variation is listed on their site ?

Republicaninmass 10-19-2017 02:48 PM

In my experience, they won't recognize it.

maximus35 10-19-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1711827)
How is a card variation graded by PSA if I send it in and they don't currently have that card listed in their master set ? Do they list the new variation on the label or not recognize it ? Do I wait until the variation is listed on their site ?

I would post a sticky note on the card explaining the variation. They will most likely research it if they are unsure of it. But by you explaining it to them may make their research much easier.

ALR-bishop 10-19-2017 08:37 PM

Is it recognized by any hobby source, such as SCD or Beckett ? If not I think it will be a tough sell directly to PSA. I know folks who worked hard to get SCD and Beckett to recognize a variation as a prelude to seeking PSA recognition.

Getting Beckett or SCD recognition may depend on whether it is a just a recurring print defect or an intentional change in the card by the manufacturer in the printing processs

glynparson 10-20-2017 02:52 AM

If it is not recognized

If it is not recognized in any hobby publications you have a very very very slim to no chance of getting PSA to recognize it and label it as one. There are many cards out there that have variations that PSA does not label. You can do the sticky note but it is almost definetly a waste of time.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 10-20-2017 06:47 AM

My understanding has always been that it needs to be documented in a hobby resource for them to recognize it. However, if it is indeed a legit variation, it shouldn't be too hard to get it documented.

MikeGarcia 10-20-2017 08:05 AM

How , please ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger (Post 1712039)
My understanding has always been that it needs to be documented in a hobby resource for them to recognize it. However, if it is indeed a legit variation, it shouldn't be too hard to get it documented.

..What would be the first step ? To whom do you submit your "new var."? Thank you .

bobbyw8469 10-20-2017 08:34 AM

Try scanning the front and back of the card and sending it in an email to info@PSAcard.com

Been there, done that.

pokerplyr80 10-20-2017 08:44 AM

The decision to recognize a new variation is arbitrary, as is the grade they assign.

greco827 10-20-2017 10:17 AM

I'm curious as to what the variation is. Would you be willing to share?

drcy 10-20-2017 12:15 PM

I think you want to get it recognized elsewhere before they would label it-- unless it's an obvious variation. A discussion and recognition of it on a board like this, or on the CU board, would be helpful. Substantial discussion threads here on Net54 have been referenced by auction catalogs before. And there was a NNOF T206 that was holdered by PSA in part because it was discussed here on Net54 then examined in person by two board members. Discussion boards are where experts come together to discuss on the record the validity and existence of variations, errors and other such topics.

ALR-bishop 10-20-2017 12:25 PM

When Lemke was with SCD it was easy to send him variant cards and get a response on whether he would recommend it. His definition for inclusion
over time narrowed to exclude recurring print defects ( like the Herrer and Bakep) for new listings. And he removed some listed variations, like border gaps from later editions. He decided only intentional changes in a card by the manufacturer should be included. But he realized it is sometimes impossible to tell an intentional change from a defect that occurs in early runs and disappears

It was harder to get recognition under his replacements, Fluckinger and Bartsch. Maybe because variants did not interest them as much as Bob, or maybe
SCD cut back on resources for the print edition.

Rich Klein has some influence on variant listings on COMC, and he may have insight on who to contact at Beckett. They may be more lenient given their recognition of the 61 Fairly with a green smudge in the baseball on the back, which PSA then adopted .

Fact is there is not now nor likely ever will be a standard accepted hobby definition of what constitutes a variation

drcy 10-20-2017 01:10 PM

I'd post it here and see what we think.

ALR-bishop 10-20-2017 01:32 PM

And Arthur should post a pic of that cheeseburger too :)

brianp-beme 10-20-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1712204)
And Arthur should post a pic of that cheeseburger too :)

If not currently identified in the guides, PSA will most likely not recognize the cheeseburger as a variation of the regular hamburger.

Brian

bobbyw8469 10-21-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1712345)
If not currently identified in the guides, PSA will most likely not recognize the cheeseburger as a variation of the regular hamburger.

Brian

lmfao!!! For the group sub, I am having to send some T203's comic cards that are CLEARLY marked "Winner Cut Plug" as "Mayo Cut Plug"......these aren't Mayo's!!! I thought PSA would clearly want to label the cards correctly.

Leon 10-26-2017 01:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1712365)
lmfao!!! For the group sub, I am having to send some T203's comic cards that are CLEARLY marked "Winner Cut Plug" as "Mayo Cut Plug"......these aren't Mayo's!!! I thought PSA would clearly want to label the cards correctly.

Winner Cut Plug, a scarce but well known brand on the T203's, might not have been an option in their system.

bobbyw8469 10-27-2017 05:13 AM

I'm sending them in anyway so they can examine them. Hopefully they can slab them properly. I am surprised no one has sent any in before now. I had to manually remove the word Mayo's on the prefill, and call them "T203 Winner Baseball Comics".....hopefully they will recognize the variation.