Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   End of an Era, no more HBO Boxing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260393)

BearBailey 09-27-2018 03:41 PM

End of an Era, no more HBO Boxing

Wow, I was saddened and shocked to see HBO will no longer be televising boxing from 2019 going forward and their October card could be their last.

vintage mesiah 09-27-2018 03:56 PM

Me and a buddy was just talking about that, so many BAD nights , Emmanuel steward , Foreman analyzing.Espn , DAZN, pbc better get it together ,..

Arazi4442 09-27-2018 07:21 PM

What a gut punch. HBO has always been my go to for boxing. Favorites were once or twice a year, they would a triple header of young fighters. Usually it's a prospect vs. some nobody but they usually had two good young fighters.

That's too bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearBailey (Post 1815892)
Wow, I was saddened and shocked to see HBO will no longer be televising boxing from 2019 going forward and their October card could be their last.

Exhibitman 09-28-2018 11:57 AM

#&*$^^#^!!!! I am a boxing nut and subscribe to HBO and Showtime for the fights, though I do like some of the shows too. So what, now I gotta watch commercial tv (ESPN, Fox) or subscribe to streaming services (DAZN), which I hate, to get my fix?

I am going to have to rethink my media strategy...

pclpads 09-28-2018 06:58 PM

Can't say I'll miss it. Never was a sweet science fan, whatever the hell that term means. My antipathy goes back to 1962 when Benny Kid Paret beat the dog s**t of Davey Moore, who ended up dying days later from the brutal beating. Totally brutal sport, if you can even call it that with a straight face. I liken it to cock-fighting and watching pit bulls rip kittens to shreds as part of their training for dog fights. Probably in the minority here, but whatever . . .

1952boyntoncollector 09-28-2018 07:36 PM

USA Tuesday Night fights

I miss those. Sean O'Grady

Lots of chris byrd fights..

BearBailey 09-29-2018 06:30 PM

Tuesday night fights was great boxing mid week. The Mercer Morrison double headers leading up to there eventual showdown were awesome.

Writehooks 09-29-2018 09:58 PM

Yo, pclpads:
Although I respect your antipathy towards "the noble art", you should get your facts straight. Davey Moore was killed in his fight with Sugar Ramos in 1963. Benny Paret died from the beating he took from Emile Griffith in 1962. And yes, both bouts aired live on national television.

glynparson 09-30-2018 06:08 AM

Not the same to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1816175)
Can't say I'll miss it. Never was a sweet science fan, whatever the hell that term means. My antipathy goes back to 1962 when Benny Kid Paret beat the dog s**t of Davey Moore, who ended up dying days later from the brutal beating. Totally brutal sport, if you can even call it that with a straight face. I liken it to cock-fighting and watching pit bulls rip kittens to shreds as part of their training for dog fights. Probably in the minority here, but whatever . . .

Not really a fight fan, but to me the big difference between your examples is that humans can make the choice on their own to enter or not enter the ring that choice is not given to the animals. I understand its appeal i am just not into watching people receive punishment. Just not my thing, but to each his own. I did like watching fights when my late Pop Pop was alive because he would get so excited for them one of the few things that did excite him.

1952boyntoncollector 10-01-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1816175)

yes you are in the minority......so are the people against tackle football at all levels due to all the head injuries that are being sustained

pclpads 10-01-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Writehooks (Post 1816393)
Yo, pclpads:
Although I respect your antipathy towards "the noble art", you should get your facts straight. Davey Moore was killed in his fight with Sugar Ramos in 1963. Benny Paret died from the beating he took from Emile Griffith in 1962. And yes, both bouts aired live on national television.

Thanks for the corrections. As I always say, never let the facts get in the way of a good story. :D