Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The word "Graded" as is applies to PSA & SGC item titles (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244965)

RealToppsaholic 09-15-2017 05:57 PM

The word "Graded" as is applies to PSA & SGC item titles

Was hoping to get a few takes on the word "GRADED" being used in ebay item titles when the card is a PSA or SGC graded card but the card has only rcvd an "A" or 'authentic' designation.

There is a hermit (who I would be happy to name if provoked) who has written to us and posted here that we are "mis-using" the term 'graded' ---imagine the time on this person's hands !

SO -- I am saying the card has been 'GRADED' by a company and the grade is ..... "authentic' ---

does anyone here think we are out of line using the term ?
very few people use graded slabbed holdered or anything like that
anyway so its not a search/browse benefit .... thanks for reading

also noteworthy ...we NEVER mis-use a grand name ...
we only use the proper company in the title

iowadoc77 09-15-2017 06:01 PM

Saying graded does not necessarily imply a numerical grade. I think you are fine. Doesn't mean some people won't get grumpy about it.

HawkFan70 09-15-2017 06:41 PM

I agree. Technically it doesn't have a numeric grade but at least you know that the card isn't a fake.

bnorth 09-15-2017 06:45 PM

For SGC, PSA, and Beckett I consider the "A" slabbed cards as graded. With the no name companies it does not matter what they have printed on them I just call them garbage. So an "A" would not apply to them. Just my 2 cents.

JollyElm 09-15-2017 06:54 PM

All the time, people say a card was graded an 'A.' In essence, saying something was graded simply implies it has ended up in a slab.

frankbmd 09-15-2017 07:04 PM

I wouldn't have had to repeat the third grade, if it weren't for those "F" grades.;)

drcy 09-16-2017 03:32 AM

I'd vote that technically the guy is correct, but it's just a technicality if the card is advertised and shown as being entombed as authentic. Even if my view is correct, this falls under no harm, no foul.

I note that, personally, I've always considered a trimmed or otherwise altered card as a grade of Poor. But the grading companies don't do it that way (which would circle around to why I said the guy is technically correct).

swarmee 09-16-2017 07:46 AM

Authentic grades at PSA used to count as 0.5 on the registry. They now count as Poor 1s for registry purposes.
However, slabbed by PSA/SGC/BVG in my opinion includes Authentic grades.

bobbyw8469 09-16-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1701514)
I'd vote that technically the guy is correct, but it's just a technicality if the card is advertised and shown as being entombed as authentic. Even if my view is correct, this falls under no harm, no foul.

I note that, personally, I've always considered a trimmed or otherwise altered card as a grade of Poor. But the grading companies don't do it that way (which would circle around to why I said the guy is technically correct).

I don't see it that way. I have had cards grade "A" that look MILESSSSSS better than a "poor" grade. It's a minority, but I have also had "A" cards by one grader get graded by another.

vintagetoppsguy 09-16-2017 11:44 AM

If the card is slabbed an "A" then it went through the grading process. It is graded.

My pet peeve is when sellers put "NM appearance" in the title when the card is graded "A" because it was trimmed. Duh, of course it looks NM, it's freaking trimmed. Stupid sellers.

drcy 09-16-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1701580)
I don't see it that way. I have had cards grade "A" that look MILESSSSSS better than a "poor" grade. It's a minority, but I have also had "A" cards by one grader get graded by another.

Irrelevant to what they look like, they grade either poor or less than poor.

Grades really are suppose to be applied to unaltered cards, with the Altered/Authentic grade being the odd-man-out or * designation being a matter of discussion. We all know what altered/authentic means, so whether or not "A" qualifies as a grade is a debate on the order of whether it's po-TAY-to or po-TAH-to.

HRBAKER 09-16-2017 12:20 PM

Of course it's been graded.

drcy 09-16-2017 12:34 PM

"Number grade"

Actually, now that I think of it, I have heard collectors use the term "number graded." Type graders saying they want the rare card in any condition as long as it will be assigned a "number grade" (1-10), meaning it is unaltered.

There you go. Problem solved. Now we can move on and debate Peace in the Middle East and the theoretical possibility of cold fusion.

"But, David, you haven't actually solved the debate, but compartmentalized the issue and put the Authentic in another room."
"Shut up."

Immanuel Kant said that many arguments are not caused by disagreement over the main ideas, but that the arguers unknowingly define terms differently. Once the parties mutually set the definitions (which they didn’t do in the beginning), they are often surprised to discover how much they agree with each other.

Which leads us to So then, If a Tree Falls When No One's Around Does It Make a Sound or Doesn't It?

HRBAKER 09-16-2017 12:56 PM

I think I'll crack out the "Critique of Pure Reason." :)

drcy 09-16-2017 01:41 PM

When I was little and would ask if something was "a" or "b," my professor dad would say "There may be other possibilities" or "It might not be an either/or. It might be a both/and."

Now you know where I got it from.

botn 09-16-2017 01:57 PM

Neither SGC nor PSA list Authentic on their list of "grades" however I think most collectors consider a card in a holder as graded even if the outcome is Authentic.

Not all card assessed as Authentic are altered. Cards which are larger or smaller than the factory specs, for instance, will get encapsulated with an A, if the submitter wants. And not all cards assessed with an A are NM or better. I see more that are chewed up.

drcy 09-16-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1701681)
Neither SGC nor PSA list Authentic on their list of "grades" however I think most collectors consider a card in a holder as graded even if the outcome is Authentic.

Not all card assessed as Authentic are altered. Cards which are larger or smaller than the factory specs, for instance, will get encapsulated with an A, if the submitter wants. And not all cards assessed with an A are NM or better. I see more that are chewed up.

And many autographed card submitters looking for the "A" don't even ask for or want a number grade, but just designation that the card (and autograph) is authentic.

botn 09-16-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1701685)
And many autographed card submitters looking for the "A" don't even ask for or want a number grade, but just designation that the card (and autograph) is authentic.

Great point. I vaguely recall in the very early days of grading there had even been a discussion to not assign a numerical grade but to simply assess the card for authenticity. It was suggested that using a numerical grade distracted from the main purpose of assessing cards--to determine if they were altered. Anyone else recall that?

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-16-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1701637)
If the card is slabbed an "A" then it went through the grading process. It is graded.

My pet peeve is when sellers put "NM appearance" in the title when the card is graded "A" because it was trimmed. Duh, of course it looks NM, it's freaking trimmed. Stupid sellers.

Raises hand sheepishly, I did that with an e75 John L Sullivan. It did sell however.

bobbyw8469 09-17-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Not true David....the "A" grade has the biggest collection of condition ranges there is. I have seen Hank Aaron rookie "A"s that have looked like that got run over by a truck. The "A" doesn't always mean trimmed.

vintagetoppsguy 09-17-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1701824)
Not true David....the "A" grade has the biggest collection of condition ranges there is. I have seen Hank Aaron rookie "A"s that have looked like that got run over by a truck. The "A" doesn't always mean trimmed.

I think you misread my post. I understand there are other reasons for the "A" grade, but I meant specifically when the card is graded an "A" because it's trimmed. The purpose of trimming the card is to make the corners appear more sharper.

Then the seller puts in the title or body "NM appearance" or something similar. To me, that's just plain stupid. Of course it looks NM, it's trimmed. I could make all my EX and Ex/Mt cards look NM if I trimmed them.

Quote:

irv 09-17-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1701845)
I think you misread my post. I understand there are other reasons for the "A" grade, but I meant specifically when the card is graded an "A" because it's trimmed. The purpose of trimming the card is to make the corners appear more sharper.

Then the seller puts in the title or body "NM appearance" or something similar. To me, that's just plain stupid. Of course it looks NM, it's trimmed. I could make all my EX and Ex/Mt cards look NM if I trimmed them.

I get a kick out of that too! When the time comes to sell my cards, I am also going to state, other than the creases, bent corners, paper loss and scuff marks, this card is mint! ;)

irishdenny 09-18-2017 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been Called All Sorts of Names in my Life!
Definitely a 1st time fir "Hermit"! :)

Anyways...

You Seem to have answered Your own question in Your Opening Statement!

"Was hoping to get a few takes on the word "GRADED" being used in ebay item titles when the card is a PSA or SGC graded card
"but" the card has only received an "A" or 'authentic' designation."

*Slabbed "Authentic" Cards are Not in the Same Category as a Card that has been given a Numerical Grade.

So...
If a Seller took one of the Cards I've Attached and Cracked it out of it's Slab.
The Seller Then proceeded to Sell sed Card as Near Mint,
Adding that the Card Would "Grade" if Sent in to Any one of the Major Card Grading Company's.

The Mention'd Card is then Sold to a New Collector in Our Hobby.
New Collector Sends it in Hoping to get at Least a "5", Maybe even an "8"!!!

Upon Receiving the Slabbed Card back in an "Authentic" Holder,
New Collector is Confused.
Howevar, Because He is New to the Whole Process, He's tentative about approaching the Seller about His Card that didn't Receive a "Grade"
And Because They are New to Our Hobby, He Financially Eats the Sellers Gain!

So is a Slabbed "Authentic" Card Really a "Graded Card"?
Awww... "No!"

This is why Experienced Collector's Know to Ask,
"If It Doesn't Receive a Numerical Grade and it Comes Back "Slabbed Authentic", Will You Refund my Payment!?"

"Months Ago", When I Sent You a Message through Ebay about Your Selling Technique, I was merely Pointing this out.

As was mention'd Earlier, "Authentic" Slabbed Cards are Not part of SGC's Grading Scale.

https://sgccard.com/GradingScale.aspx

Please feel free to point out where Your "Graded Authentic" Cards
Fall within SGC's Grading Scale?

As fir Provoking Member's of THiS Fine Community of Collector's...
I'll Leave THaT uP Ta You, You Seem to Be Very Good at it!

Howevar, "IF" You Do Feel Provoked...?
THeN I Hope THaT THis Hits You RiGHT Between Your Stargazers'
LiKe a Texas Cattle Prod ~

Oh... SeeiN How You are a "ToppsAholic", I was Wondering?
Which of Your "12 Steps" Are You WorkiN oN?
Are You Evan Working Your 12 Step Program?
We Certainly Don't Want You Relapsing!
Remember What Happen'd Last Time!!!

I Know, I Know!
Some Will Say THaT I'm Just bein to Hard oN the New Comer!
Well, I Say... The Short Time Since He's Been Here He's Taken Many Liberties
Towards Quite a Few.
Howevar, He Has made Some Progress!
He Even Knows We Have a BST Now...
And Fir Some, THaT Could Prove Dangerous!

Well, Banter Away Sir...
I Leave You ta Spend Lots of Time Provoking & BeiN Provoked. ;)

Nuf Sed Aye!

bobbyw8469 09-18-2017 09:09 AM

I guess Im in the minority, but I don't have a problem with "A" cards. It allows you to get a nicer looking card for a fraction of the price. The problem arises when a seller like Battlefield wins an "A" card on the cheap, cracks it out, and sells it for the "unaltered" price. There is a HUGE monetary incentive to do that, and not all sellers exhibit the necessary ethics to avoid temptation.

ls7plus 09-18-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1701415)
Saying graded does not necessarily imply a numerical grade. I think you are fine. Doesn't mean some people won't get grumpy about it.

+1

Best regards,

Larry