Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mickey Mantle signed glove! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264356)

johnts1 01-09-2019 01:56 PM

Mickey Mantle signed glove!

1 Attachment(s)
Any thoughts? Look authentic??

Thank you!

johnts1 01-10-2019 11:42 AM

Anyone? I personally don't like it, but would love to hear from the experts.

canjond 01-10-2019 11:55 AM

I don't like it. There seems to be a lot of hesitation and formation issues.

JollyElm 01-10-2019 07:32 PM

First thing I'd do is ensure that type/brand of mitt was available when Mantle was alive. If it was, it doesn't help move anything forward, but if it wasn't, then that's the end of the story.

bgar3 01-11-2019 06:35 AM

No opinion on the signature, but a beautiful old glove and, I assume, original box. Nice. Show more of them please.

Stampsfan 01-11-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1844174)
I don't like it. There seems to be a lot of hesitation and formation issues.

Maybe because he's signing the finger of a baseball glove.

perezfan 01-11-2019 01:41 PM

I see the hesitation but still think it's good.

Agree that the medium is unusual and more challenging to sign than a ball or flat. The glove is authentic and of the era, and is so incredibly nice that I believe Mantle simply took great care in signing this piece.

perezfan 01-11-2019 01:46 PM

Furthermore....

That Mantle Glove (Mint in Box) is worth a lot of money without the sig. I really doubt that someone would deface a Mint Glove in Box with a fake autograph. It's too risky, and much too desirable an item to mess with... especially since the Mantle auto doesn't even increase its total value all that much.

RedsFan1941 01-11-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1844425)
Furthermore....

That Mantle Glove (Mint in Box) is worth a lot of money without the sig. I really doubt that someone would deface a Mint Glove in Box with a fake autograph. It's too risky, and much too desirable an item to mess with... especially since the Mantle auto doesn't even increase its total value all that much.

you need to post more!!!!

Duluth Eskimo 01-12-2019 10:16 AM

I think the signature is good as well. I agree with Mark on the value of he item and unlikelihood of someone attempting a fake auto. The auto looks good with some slight deviations which would be expected from someone trying to sign a leather glove.

frankbmd 01-12-2019 10:23 AM

Just a thought

When Mantle was upset, did he sign gloves on the third finger?

Fuddjcal 01-12-2019 12:04 PM

I don't buy the signature for a minute. It wants to be good, but I'm nota likin it.

danno561 01-13-2019 07:49 PM

Mantle plus a few others on this glove

6 Attachment(s)
Nice to have #7 posted with this Mantle signature as well

Bpm0014 01-14-2019 07:05 AM

When Mantle was upset, did he sign gloves on the third finger?

:D:D:D Frank you never fail to amuse me!

Huysmans 01-14-2019 07:37 AM

As others have mentioned, I would have no problem with that signature as well.

Michael B 01-14-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1844708)
I don't buy the signature for a minute. It wants to be good, but I'm nota likin it.

Do you think that this signature looks off due to it being a paint pen versus a Sharpie? I do like them on albums and photos on occasion but I could see them 'dragging' on leather and fabric due to the writing head of the large ones. I do not have the expertise to offer an opinion on the signature though the 'key' looks more like a capital cursive A and a y.

Fuddjcal 01-14-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danno561 (Post 1845098)
Nice to have #7 posted with this Mantle signature as well

What an amazing glove this is...This gorgeous signature bares no resemblance to the OP glove, IMHO.

I never liked the silver sharpie especially on a glove, so maybe I'm just a paranoid schizophrenic? after review, No maybes.

Curious what other "Mantle guys" might think about the OP silver sharpie glove?

Fuddjcal 01-14-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1845251)
Do you think that this signature looks off due to it being a paint pen versus a Sharpie? I do like them on albums and photos on occasion but I could see them 'dragging' on leather and fabric due to the writing head of the large ones. I do not have the expertise to offer an opinion on the signature though the 'key' looks more like a capital cursive A and a y.

To be honest, I don't like 1 letter of the "Mickey" and I hate the "Man". Not 1 letter is in the correct formation, glove or paint pen aside. The "Mantle" is not even close to a normal "Mantle" baseline. I think it's a forgery and after a 3rd further review, not a very good one.

danno561 01-14-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1845281)
What an amazing glove this is...This gorgeous signature bares no resemblance to the OP glove, IMHO.

I never liked the silver sharpie especially on a glove, so maybe I'm just a paranoid schizophrenic? after review, No maybes.

Curious what other "Mantle guys" might think about the OP silver sharpie glove?

Thanks Fudd. I agree with your perspective on the OP’s signature.