Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Tough 1970's & 1980's Autographed Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241928)

dgo71 07-09-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyranusberg (Post 1679046)
Signed '86 Topps and Donruss cards of Ramon Romero are very tough.

Legend has it he was killed in a drug deal in New York City in the late 80s.

Efforts to find him in the DR apparently were stymied by the fact that there was a different Ramon Romero playing in the White Sox organization at the same time.

He died in 1988 but his death wasn't confirmed until 2014. He fell 6 stories while trying to use a fire escape to run from police officers who had witnessed him selling crack cocaine. Details can be found in this article:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Ramon_Romero

dgo71 07-09-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1678983)
What about Randy Myers?

Good one. Myers was very difficult after his first full season in the majors. He would only sign cards from the current year (and dated them) then became current team/current year after his trade to Cincinnati. A couple years later he basically just stopped signing altogether. I guess he got tired of explaining his weird rules to people?

sbfinley 07-09-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1678964)
I'd always heard Wright readily signs his other cards, just not the 87T. Seems like I've seen quite a few 83F over the years.

I haven't tried to get him, but somewhere along the line I heard he mentioned once he would never signed his Topps (86 traded or 87) and that he would sign his Fleer for $500. If that's true or if he had any takers I'm not sure. I believe, though I could be wrong, that most anything signed by him is period signed.

dgo71 07-09-2017 11:55 AM

Interesting for sure. He must have guessed correctly that the only way his cards would have value was to create it.

How about the Latino guys whose careers ended before the internet boom? There have been private signings in those countries since, but I'd think a lot of them are still pretty rare.
Guys like Juan Espino, Salome Barojas, Enrique & Vicente Romo (especially their 1983 issues), Jose Román, Vic Mata, etc.

Tyranusberg 07-09-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1679048)
He died in 1988 but his death wasn't confirmed until 2014. He fell 6 stories while trying to use a fire escape to run from police officers who had witnessed him selling crack cocaine. Details can be found in this article:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Ramon_Romero

Thanks. Wow, so it was confirmed. That was a big mystery for awhile.

mrmopar 07-09-2017 09:41 PM

I have several Wright cards that are not the 87T and I have him on balls and a team sheet. I don't know if his habits changed to include everything more recently, but his signature on something other than 87T is not easy, but not hard either.

I have been loosely tracking Anderson stuff lately because when I saw the 81T pop up that sold for over a grand, I practically crapped myself. I figured it was hard and expensive, but I just couldn't believe anyone would pay so much for one. Goes to show completists with money to burn can set the bar higher than imaginable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1678905)
Are Anderson and Wright tough on other media? I have Anderson on an index card and Wright on a team issue photo.

Tom C

homerunhitter 07-09-2017 09:46 PM

terry forster signed 1987 topps seems hard to find.

mrmopar 07-09-2017 09:47 PM

Past Pros just had a private signing with several guys (Mario Mendoza, Enrique Romo, Jose Pena, Carlos Lopez, etc). That should help offer more supply for those guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1679060)
Interesting for sure. He must have guessed correctly that the only way his cards would have value was to create it.

How about the Latino guys whose careers ended before the internet boom? There have been private signings in those countries since, but I'd think a lot of them are still pretty rare.
Guys like Juan Espino, Salome Barojas, Enrique & Vicente Romo (especially their 1983 issues), Jose Román, Vic Mata, etc.

I generally take notice of many of the tougher cards because I just like older signed cards, but I also need the player to have some sort of meaning for me. If they won an award, was an AS, or set some sort of record, I will try for their auto. If they played for the Dodgers or were on a Dodger card, then it is a MUST and if they had a Mariners card from 1977-1987, then I chase those too. That is how I found out so many Mariners were harder than they should be given the player careers they had (you'd think most would enjoy a request for a signature)!

mrmopar 07-09-2017 09:52 PM

There is one that never gets mention in these types of conversations and seems to be insanely hard that I stumbled upon by accident. I had obtained a 72T Ray Newman card (Cubs) sometime along the way (it was in a lot I won). Didn't care about it and it sat in my extra vintage box. Then I decided to catalog cool cards I wanted signed and a lot of the 73-74 Topps are on that list because of the great action poses.

Ray Newman has a nice action pitching card in 1973 while with the Brewers. I don't look all the time, but have only seen one listed ever and it went for about $100! I have seen no other 72T signed Newman either.

He is apparently still alive, but he must not do much signing, if any now.

btcarfagno 07-09-2017 10:22 PM

Speaking of tough Dodgers, Brian Traxler. Doesn't have any cards I am aware of, but I had a heck of a time tracking down the index card I have now

Tom C