Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question regarding 1968 Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256855)

horzverti 06-30-2018 09:37 PM

I am probably using the words counterfeit and reprint synonymously. If I go through a stack of cards and I spot one that looks fake, I would call it a reprint. I am not sure I would use the word counterfeit. That is just me. I am not saying that anyone is incorrect.

I remember seeing many of the fake Rose rookies actually stamped “counterfeit” on the back. I understand why John would refer to this card, which I used as an example of a reprint card, as counterfeit.

Here is a question for everyone: Fake 1952 Topps Mantles - counterfeit or reprints? Both?

Back to MBs...super set! :D

swarmee 07-01-2018 06:15 AM

The distinction is based on the intent of the person/company who printed them. If the intent is to deceive (sell as the original), then they are counterfeits. If the intent is to reproduce as a novelty, then it is a reprint. Appropriate reprints make changes to the original card so that they can be easily spotted and not used as a fake version later on. For example, 1933 Goudey reprints have Reprint printed on them. T206 reprints have "Capital Reprint" printed on them. Topps reprints of earlier cards are made on different stock and normally have "Topps Reprint Series #x of y cards" printed on them.

swarmee 07-01-2018 06:15 AM

*double post*

toppcat 07-01-2018 07:31 AM

I would call a card reissued by the manufacturer after the original run a reprint, or a reissue. A counterfeit is just that, a fake card. The MB's, to me, are "almost" a reprint and to others they may or may not be considered a true one. Either way I think it impacts the value a little. The MB Baseball are also a subset, as are Football and Hot Rods, of the larger set and I assume that you lose full set collectors in that scenario.

ALR-bishop 07-01-2018 08:19 AM

Are the 62 green tints reprints ?

swarmee 07-01-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 1791248)
The MB Baseball are also a subset, as are Football and Hot Rods, of the larger set and I assume that you lose full set collectors in that scenario.

The MB cards are a set unto themselves, IMO. They were not co-mingled with 1968 cards and put in baseball, or 1967 football, or 1966 hot rods packs (those only had pink backs, right?). They were only packaged with the game. If you're putting together a set of MB cards, you need all the ones that were in the game, not just the baseball ones.

The Green Tints are a variation of cards in the 1962 Topps Baseball set, because they were pack issued in baseball card packs that year.

CobbSpikedMe 07-01-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1791307)
The MB cards are a set unto themselves, IMO. They were not co-mingled with 1968 cards and put in baseball, or 1967 football, or 1966 hot rods packs (those only had pink backs, right?). They were only packaged with the game. If you're putting together a set of MB cards, you need all the ones that were in the game, not just the baseball ones.

The Green Tints are a variation of cards in the 1962 Topps Baseball set, because they were pack issued in baseball card packs that year.

Completely agree with John here. MBs are a separate set unto themselves and green tints are variations.

ALR-bishop 07-01-2018 12:08 PM

I could agree that the MBs are a separate set. Could also see them as variations. But, if a separate
set maybe the Cox and Brinkman should/could be eliminated as variations to the 68 set.

Agree green tints are variations. I do not think a second printing makes them or the MBs reprints

savedfrommyspokes 07-01-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1791312)
I could agree that the MBs are a separate set. Could also see them as variations. But, if a separate
set maybe the Cox and Brinkman should/could be eliminated as variations to the 68 set.

Agree green tints are variations. I do not think a second printing makes them or the MBs reprints

I agree with John, Al and Andy.....the 68 MBS are a separate set and the 62 GTs are merely a second print run. I would consider the 68 MBs similar to the BK cards from the 70s, produced by Topps for another company. I wonder what Carltons definition of the MB set would be?

To answer the op's original question, in line with other responses, lack of demand keeps the prices for these cards down. When Carltons article came out a few years back, there was a small surge in prices due to a brief increase in demand, but as time has passed, so has the small spike in demand.

tschock 07-02-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1791312)

The Cox and Brinkman are a great example of supply and demand. Even those who know they were not issued as part of the Topps set still collect those as variations of the Topps set. They were issued in the same quantity as any of the other MB cards, yet they hold a relatively much higher value than the other Topps counterparts (including the Ryan). However as anyone who is putting a true MB set together, the toughest cards by far to find (years later) are the Hot Rod cards.