Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cy Young Auto Help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253303)

ferrissteve 04-02-2018 07:48 AM

Cy Young Auto Help

1 Attachment(s)
I've been looking at this Young auto, but I've got considerable suspicions, but wanted the forums advice. I compared it to the exemplars in Ron's book and wasn't able to convince myself 100% one way or another. Was hoping some of you fine members could help. I'm also fairly new here, so apologies if this is in any specific breach of etiquette.

bravos4evr 04-02-2018 06:30 PM

I'm no Cy Young expert, but those cancelled postcard autos are a big red flag of forgery.

David Atkatz 04-02-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1763784)
I'm no Cy Young expert, but those cancelled postcard autos are a big red flag of forgery.

That's not a "cancelled postcard." It's a Baseball Centennial stamp first day cover.

RelicSports 04-02-2018 08:06 PM

If it were me, I would pass on this. The later years Cy Young signatures are easier to forge since he was so old/his writing quite shaky. Also, the ink looks too strong/fresh for my liking.

T206Collector 04-02-2018 08:49 PM

I don’t like it. The Ys are too slow and deliberate. And the G doesn’t look anything like the Ys. My view is the G should look more like the Ys.

ferrissteve 04-02-2018 08:57 PM

Thank you to everyone that responded. I passed on this offering as too many things seemed off. Points in Y's too sharp, ink seemed a little too fresh. I appreciate hearing my sentiments echoed by fellow forum members.

bravos4evr 04-03-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1763814)
That's not a "cancelled postcard." It's a Baseball Centennial stamp first day cover.

wtvr you call those things, I've seen a bunch of them and every single one of them was a forgery

ferrissteve 04-03-2018 05:08 PM

I had my doubts on it, and it sold for over 350.....so someone is chasing a to good to be true piece. I generally don't even consider signatures unless its been graded by a reputable grading company....and even then I sometimes have some reservations. But that's a conversation for another time. Anyway thank you again for everyone who chimed in on this topic. I feel better knowing I didn't throw away my money or lost out on a potential great deal. :D

David Atkatz 04-03-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1764050)
wtvr you call those things, I've seen a bunch of them and every single one of them was a forgery

Then you're not very knowledgeable. Signed 1939 baseball centennial first day covers are not uncommon, and are highly desired. Look through some old auction catalogs... Heritage, REA, Golden, etc.
And, really, as you don't know the difference between a postcard and an FDC, here's a genuine piece, just for you.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps3akrxfaj.jpg

BLongley 04-03-2018 06:47 PM

FDC w Cy Young

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Cy Young PSA authenticated I found in an REA Auction. I'm by no means an expert, but based on these comps I would say the auto in question is no good.

bravos4evr 04-03-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1764084)
Then you're not very knowledgeable. Signed 1939 baseball centennial first day covers are not uncommon, and are highly desired. Look through some old auction catalogs... Heritage, REA, Golden, etc.
And, really, as you don't know the difference between a postcard and an FDC, here's a genuine piece, just for you.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps3akrxfaj.jpg

why the personal attacks? are you old farts this fucking homebound ?

and if you can't see the difference between what you posted and thre OP' maybe you should keep your fucking mouth shut.

I'm really sick of this place. you people don't help, you just act like dicks. It's just snark and shitty attitudes and putting people down. Maybe for some of you this is some sort of ego driven thing, but for many people they just want some advice, no reason to be a jerk if someone gets something wrong.

David Atkatz 04-03-2018 08:13 PM

Oooh... Did poor widdle Nicky have his feelings hurt?

Sophiedog 04-04-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1764107)
why the personal attacks? are you old farts this fucking homebound ?

and if you can't see the difference between what you posted and thre OP' maybe you should keep your fucking mouth shut.

I'm really sick of this place. you people don't help, you just act like dicks. It's just snark and shitty attitudes and putting people down. Maybe for some of you this is some sort of ego driven thing, but for many people they just want some advice, no reason to be a jerk if someone gets something wrong.

If it weren't for the "old farts" on this board some of you from the entitled generation would have a collection filled with nothing but fake garbage. Show a little appreciation from someone that really knows what they're talking about instead of shooting your mouth off.