Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need to find 1960 Pirates Trainer Whelan (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=188027)

mr2686 05-16-2014 01:01 PM

Need to find 1960 Pirates Trainer Whelan

Well, this is my last attempt. After several years of looking, and missing out a couple of times, I am finally going to mat my 1960 Pirates team with or without Danny Whelan. A seller on ebay has had a signed 8x10, but it's so light you can't even see the sig (at least that's what it looks like) and he won't respond to questions. The only other one's I've seen for sale recently are on basketballs (he was also the trainer for the Knicks). Please, please, please...if you could all check with your networks and see if you could find one I'd be forever grateful. I really wanted to have the most complete 1960 Pirates display ever, but if I don't have the trainer I guess it is what it is. Thanks in advance.

Scott Garner 05-16-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1276805)
Well, this is my last attempt. After several years of looking, and missing out a couple of times, I am finally going to mat my 1960 Pirates team with or without Danny Whelan. A seller on ebay has had a signed 8x10, but it's so light you can't even see the sig (at least that's what it looks like) and he won't respond to questions. The only other one's I've seen for sale recently are on basketballs (he was also the trainer for the Knicks). Please, please, please...if you could all check with your networks and see if you could find one I'd be forever grateful. I really wanted to have the most complete 1960 Pirates display ever, but if I don't have the trainer I guess it is what it is. Thanks in advance.

Hey there, Mike!
Have you reached out to Bill Corcoran recently to ask him if he has one?

mr2686 05-16-2014 01:53 PM

Hey Scott, how have you been?
I haven't touched base with Bill recently, but I have a few times and he hasn't been able to help. I'll send him an email just to cover my bases.

RTK 05-18-2014 11:37 AM

What about tracking down family?

jgmp123 05-18-2014 11:55 AM

This one ended last month with Goldin. You may check there and see if he is willing to reach out to the high bidder on if he wants to part with the Whelan

http://goldinauctions.com/new-york-k...)-lot8524.aspx

mr2686 05-18-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1277478)
This one ended last month with Goldin. You may check there and see if he is willing to reach out to the high bidder on if he wants to part with the Whelan

http://goldinauctions.com/new-york-k...)-lot8524.aspx

Thanks, I'll give that a try, although I doubt anyone will break up a set, but you never know. I'm still hopeful that I'll find one by July when this goes to the framer. I'm taking my 61 Yankees over on Tuesday and looking forward to finally getting both up on the wall.

mr2686 05-18-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1277474)
What about tracking down family?

I did try that a couple of years ago, but hit a dead end. I thought I'd found his son, but it didn't pan out.

mr2686 08-05-2014 11:50 AM

Well, after 10 years of looking, and finding one that had been sold just a few weeks prior, and one that was part of a set of signed items that the owner didn't want to part with, and several on signed basketballs, and even one that I had paid for but then was told that it had been sold the same weekend at a show, I was about ready to give up when I happened upon one last night.
Hopefully I'm not jinxing this, but it should be in my hands by next week and I will then have possibly the most complete matted and framed 1960 Pirates piece anywhere. This has been a labor of love, and I'm really excited about finishing it.

Lordstan 08-05-2014 12:06 PM

Congrats Mike. Well Done. Can't wait to see it all framed. Did you get the 61 Yankees done yet? If so post a photo!
Mark

mr2686 08-05-2014 12:33 PM

Thanks Mark! Yes, the 61 Yankess is complete. I put a picture of it back in the May pickups, but here's a link to it.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...32#post1281432

The 60 and the 61 will be across from each other on opposite walls so that I can see them everytime I sit at the computer.

Lordstan 08-05-2014 01:07 PM

Looks awesome, Mike. I guess I didn't see it back then. I'm curious as to how much the framer charged you for something that complicated. If you don't mind.

mr2686 08-05-2014 01:28 PM

I don't mind at all. To save money (which is real important these days) I worked with the framer and basically came up with the design myself, giving her all the data she would need, and had her do it only in single mat (I usually only do single mat for pieces this large)and she custom made the frame, and it came to around $250 which is quite a bit cheaper than other "large" pieces I've had completely done at another framer. The matting is acid free and frame is quite nice in person. I was very happy.

Lordstan 08-05-2014 02:35 PM

Wow. For something that large and complicated, I think that is a really good price. It would definitely be a bear to try and do by hand.
Looks great. I'm sure this one will be just as nice. You have the A's one as well right? Did you ever do the Cardinals one?

mr2686 08-05-2014 05:44 PM

I have not completed the 34 Cardinals yet. Need two more sigs, both of which are easy but more money then I want to spend right now. That will be complete next year, and I have a 3000 hit ticket project that I'm going to cap and have matted next year as well. Still debating about how much more (if any) I'll be doing on the Blacksox. I've got several from the team and a nice litho that will look good with what I have, so I might cap that as well. 27 Yankees will end up being a series of 2 and 3 autos in smaller frames to fill in gaps in a few spots.