Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Done buying high end cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272353)

Snapolit1 08-14-2019 06:34 AM

Done buying high end cards

until something changes.

I'm not going to be the next guy to find out that the PSA 10 he paid $35,000 for was actually a PSA 7 last year and sold somewhere for $900. Nah. Not going there. Not going to be me. And frankly I don't have enough hours or the desire to do an archeological dive every time I want to buy a card.

Leon 08-14-2019 06:47 AM

Low grade cards are all the rage now....From our BST a few days ago....

http://luckeycards.com/schum.jpg

RedsFan1941 08-14-2019 06:54 AM

great card leon. as someone in the auto service biz that one really hits home.

frankbmd 08-14-2019 07:09 AM

Is wheel (read “real”) alignment a necessary precursor to being “well centered”?

After all, linguistically there ain’t much difference between a car doctor and a card doctor.

Snapolit1 08-14-2019 07:14 AM

Ha, that is indeed an awesome card. Yes, unique and ungraded may be the place to go for piece of mind and some kicks.

I also wonder if the card grading shenanigans won't push up the memorabilia and photo part of the hobby. (Not that I am naive enough to imagine that's without fraud.)

irv 08-14-2019 07:46 AM

I always, since I rejoined the hobby back in 2016, wanted to have a 8,9 or 10 1952 Topps card just to have one but since this scandal broke that desire is all but gone.

Luckily for me, I guess, I was limited to funds and focused, mainly, on raw cards.

90-95 percent of my cards in my FlickR and Net54 links below are raw and I will most likely keep them that way and will most likely continue purchasing raw cards going forward.

sflayank 08-14-2019 08:02 AM

schumacher

thats a really nice schumacher
if anyone has other players let me know

packs 08-14-2019 08:49 AM

What's your definition of high end?

https://live.staticflickr.com/4531/3...c091e8ba_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4649/2...1fc0aee0_z.jpg

MULLINS5 08-14-2019 09:13 AM

I too am done. Been collecting raw since this mess was discovered and have been having more fun than I've had the past 20 years collecting graded.

The scandal has me honestly feeling like a fool for trusting PSA for as long as I did. I thought I was buying cards that were put under strict grading standards and accepted extremely long turnaround times because of that. I paid their grading prices not just because I thought my cards were put under these standards but ALL OTHERS were as well. I feel cheated (no pun intended Joe) and defrauded. Never, ever again.

bobbyw8469 08-14-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1908343)
I too am done. Been collecting raw since this mess was discovered and have been having more fun than I've had the past 20 years collecting graded.

The scandal has me honestly feeling like a fool for trusting PSA for as long as I did. I thought I was buying cards that were put under strict grading standards and accepted extremely long turnaround times because of that. I paid their grading prices not just because I thought my cards were put under these standards but ALL OTHERS were as well. I feel cheated (no pun intended Joe) and defrauded. Never, ever again.

What amazes me Patrick is that they missed COLOR TOUCH!!! There was a Clemente rookie that Moser actually applied green to the card!!! How in the hell was that missed!?!?!?!?! Not to mention all the trimming.

RedsFan1941 08-14-2019 09:40 AM

I stand with the OP. in fact, I will not throw another pitch for the astros until they meet my salary demands.

Johnny630 08-14-2019 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=bobbyw8469;1908344]What amazes me Patrick is that they missed COLOR TOUCH!!! There was a Clemente rookie that Moser actually applied green to the card!!! How in the hell was that missed!?!?!?!?! Not to mention all the trimming.[/QUOTE

Cheats, Frauds, Card Doctors, manipulators, And Scams I was basically told to except all this it happens in every industry by another poster on a different thread. Check it out I didn’t know how to respond to it, I believe it was PW cc alive and doing well. So yeah I guess that’s the majority’s opinion on it it, sure as hell isn’t mine. Sucked all the fun out of this.

Ronnie73 08-14-2019 09:46 AM

I've always preferred a 5 dollar 1952 Topps over a 5 thousand dollar card of the same exact thing.

defender100 08-14-2019 09:54 AM

Psa

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1908344)
What amazes me Patrick is that they missed COLOR TOUCH!!! There was a Clemente rookie that Moser actually applied green to the card!!! How in the hell was that missed!?!?!?!?! Not to mention all the trimming.

The real question is not how they missed it but did they miss it? Stupidity is not as bad as duplicity, even if the results are the same.

Peter_Spaeth 08-14-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defender100 (Post 1908358)
The real question is not how they missed it but did they miss it? Stupidity is not as bad as duplicity, even if the results are the same.

At this point, I truly wonder if I or some other ordinary collector had sent all these altered cards in, and not PWCC, whether they would have graded. And on another front I am highly skeptical that I or some other ordinary collector would get anywhere near the number of PSA 10s some of these high volume insiders seem to pull.

Exhibitman 08-14-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1908343)

This. A hobby is supposed to be fun. When crime and money suck the fun out of it, time to re-evaluate. I barely looked at a slabbed card at the National this year and it was so much fun to rely on my own assessments, not mention a hell of a lot easier to bring home my cards in mylar sleeves rather than slabs. You almost forget how nice a 33 Goudey looks in hand and not separated from you by a layer of plastic.

Johnny630 08-14-2019 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1908364]At this point, I truly wonder if I or some other ordinary collector had sent all these altered cards in, and not PWCC, whether they would have graded. And on another front I am highly skeptical that I or some other ordinary collector would get anywhere near the number of PSA 10s some of these high volume insiders seem to pull.[/QUOTE

Agree me too Corruption On Almost Every Level.......I've come to the conclusion, due to the Non PWCC numbers, that the buyers do not care. It's PSA all the way. You can only talk to a brick wall so long.....I don't see this negatively impacting sales.

perezfan 08-14-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1908364)
At this point, I truly wonder if I or some other ordinary collector had sent all these altered cards in, and not PWCC, whether they would have graded. And on another front I am highly skeptical that I or some other ordinary collector would get anywhere near the number of PSA 10s some of these high volume insiders seem to pull.

Yep...

Dream on, Dream on...

Dream until your dreams come true

:rolleyes:

Ronnie73 08-14-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

I've always wondered the same thing. Like, how does it even work? How does 4 Sharp Corners get all these 10's? Do they just send in 5000 count boxes and PSA only grades the 10's? Do they get charged for the cards that don't grade? Then they sell many of these 10's for a couple dollars over what it would cost me to grade them. Is there discount that big? I'd sure like to know how it's done.

LincolnVT 08-14-2019 10:35 AM

I think that it's still safe to buy high grade cards that have solid provenance. But there are only so many of those cards to be had...

Also, wondering if anyone has a timelframe on the cards that are currently in question? Graded in the past year or two, maybe three? Maybe it's safe to still buy high graded cards in older holders?

Exhibitman 08-14-2019 10:38 AM

From what I understand this has been going on for many years. There are no safe cards except the ones you submitted or that were submitted by a trusted colleague. I sent in a lot of cards for PSA and SGC grading pre-2008; I have the records of all of them and if I ever sell out my collection those cards will be presented as such.

Peter_Spaeth 08-14-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1908372)
I think that it's still safe to buy high grade cards that have solid provenance. But there are only so many of those cards to be had...

Also, wondering if anyone has a timelframe on the cards that are currently in question? Graded in the past year or two, maybe three? Maybe it's safe to still buy high graded cards in older holders?

Oh God no many elite card doctors have been on the scene since the early 90s.

barrysloate 08-14-2019 10:46 AM

I think it just might be more lucrative to be a card doctor than a medical doctor.

bobbyw8469 08-14-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1908377)
I think it just might be more lucrative to be a card doctor than a medical doctor.

Ha-Ha!!! With no repurcussions! Medical doctors have to worry about malpractice suits. These guys are performing at will.

Brian Van Horn 08-14-2019 02:47 PM

The polar ends of this hobby that always make shake my head:

1. The cards were made for the most part for kids. Now, unless you were an obsessive-compulsive, most kids flipped, dinged and beat up the cards.

2. The adults who want pristine to bring back memories or satisfy their greed.

These ideas have one incredible chasm between them.

Promethius88 08-14-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1908316)
until something changes.

I'm not going to be the next guy to find out that the PSA 10 he paid $35,000 for was actually a PSA 7 last year and sold somewhere for $900. Nah. Not going there. Not going to be me. And frankly I don't have enough hours or the desire to do an archeological dive every time I want to buy a card.

Good luck in whatever hobby you choose next!

drcy 08-14-2019 03:01 PM

I collect raw, but may put on clothes this Fall.

Brian Van Horn 08-14-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1908441)

This would be a card that would never be on my want list.

GasHouseGang 08-14-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

And on another front I am highly skeptical that I or some other ordinary collector would get anywhere near the number of PSA 10s some of these high volume insiders seem to pull.

I've thought the same thing ever since I got back into collecting in 2006. The auction houses sure seem to be able to get higher grades on the cards they submit. People on the board have suggested many times that they were being given special treatment since they had the largest card submissions. That always struck me as an admission that we all believed the system was rigged against the average collector/submitter.

Gradedcardman 08-14-2019 03:35 PM

Sure

Your a big boy and its your decision...Glad you shared.

BabyRuth 08-14-2019 04:12 PM

I always stuck to AUTH or 1s or 2s, so none of this card doctoring ever mattered to me. I am and always have been, in it for the collecting aspect. The greed that made everyone chase 8s, 9s and 10s has finally caught up to some folks!! It's now time to come back to earth with us bottom feeders, and let the hobby steer back into collecting mode, rather than investment portfolio mode.

Forever Young 08-14-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1908441)

Ufta...

bmattioli 08-14-2019 06:28 PM

Raw

1 Attachment(s)
I'll stay raw thank you..

Chris Counts 08-14-2019 07:32 PM

"I always stuck to AUTH or 1s or 2s, so none of this card doctoring ever mattered to me."

When I discovered this site 15 or so years ago, I saw that many board members were warning about the high number of trimmed cards in high-end holders. I made the choice back then to stick to cards that look nice, but grade poorly.

irv 08-14-2019 07:58 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 1908496)
I'll stay raw thank you..

Very nice!

Here's a few of mine. Some were given to me by my father and some I purchased.

glynparson 08-15-2019 04:38 AM

Honest question

How many vintage PSA 10s were you buying before the scandal broke?

Snapolit1 08-15-2019 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1908555)
How many vintage PSA 10s were you buying before the scandal broke?

Very few on vintage side. But have shelled out real money for some 9s and 8s.

SAllen2556 08-15-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 1908369)
I've always wondered the same thing. Like, how does it even work? How does 4 Sharp Corners get all these 10's? Do they just send in 5000 count boxes and PSA only grades the 10's? Do they get charged for the cards that don't grade? Then they sell many of these 10's for a couple dollars over what it would cost me to grade them. Is there discount that big? I'd sure like to know how it's done.

If you were PSA and just starting out wouldn't it make sense to just grade a bunch of cards you got yourself just so you could increase the number of graded cards in the market place? You wouldn't have wanted (or needed) to wait for customers to get your product out there. Because, isn't the goal of PSA to have every card ever made entombed in plastic? I always assumed that's what 4 Sharp Corners was - basically a branch of PSA.

CMIZ5290 08-21-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1908354)
I stand with the OP. in fact, I will not throw another pitch for the astros until they meet my salary demands.

What an idiot...Do you realize how stupid you sound?

orly57 08-21-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1910379)
What an idiot...Do you realize how stupid you sound?

I would normally say that this comment is out of line, but since it comes from Kevin Mize, I will just say it’s badly off centered.

MULLINS5 08-21-2019 07:15 PM

Has anyone seen the Blowout page where, allegedly, a former PSA employee altered high grade SI Tiger Woods rookies?

Billy5858 08-21-2019 07:20 PM

No...but I believe it 😡

Rhotchkiss 08-21-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1910403)
Has anyone seen the Blowout page where, allegedly, a former PSA employee altered high grade SI Tiger Woods rookies?

I started a new thread and posted the link but it got moved to the watercooler section.

Here is the link again

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1314067

Johnny630 08-22-2019 07:21 AM

The corruption is so rampant....this is never going to stop....to many people are making money...if and when that stops the fraud and manipulation will slow. Other then that...with people spending money like it’s burning a hole in their pockets along with PSA grading more and more altered cards I see no signs of this slowing or stopping in the near future.

buymycards 08-22-2019 07:28 AM

Moved

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1910409)
I started a new thread and posted the link but it got moved to the watercooler section.

Here is the link again

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1314067

It got moved to the Postwar Pre 1980's section. I'm not sure why it didn't stay on the front page.

wondo 08-22-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1910484)
It got moved to the Postwar Pre 1980's section. I'm not sure why it didn't stay on the front page.

Because the main page is:

Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

ullmandds 08-22-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1910485)

this is true some of the time

buymycards 08-22-2019 07:58 AM

Hi John

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1910485)

Hi John, look at the main page. Most of the threads are in regard to Blowout, PWCC, PSA, and the scandals, including this thread.

Regards, Rick

Fuddjcal 08-22-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1908372)

you mean PWCC doesn't have all the high grade cards ALL THE TIME? The hell you say...NOW YOU KNOW WHY AND WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN COMING FROM. It ain't safe to buy squat period, It is a corrupt and disgusting hobby full of LOSERS. I used to love it, now I hate it. The time frame you seek is for 18-20 years this has been going on with cards constantly being flipped in and out of those stupid holders.

I did buy a $40 card however, going against my Stan Laurels. :D:D:D Yes, folks...even for the haters it's hard to quit. :D:D:D

Leon 08-22-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1910492)
Hi John, look at the main page. Most of the threads are in regard to Blowout, PWCC, PSA, and the scandals, including this thread.

Regards, Rick

And that is precisely why some get moved. It is called moderation.....I prefer all threads on the front page to be concerning WWII cards and before but that isn't reality. Some Important stuff gets left on the front page because it needs more eyes on it but my preference is cards we collect. Also, the further we get from WWII and forward the more likely something is to get moved. There is no rhyme nor reason as there is no telling what will be posted next. Some of the "slabgate" scandal threads have been moved as they are too numerous.

BTW John W (hey John) is absolutely correct in his above statement.