Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Western Association Old Judges (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238255)

pro9 05-09-2017 10:32 PM

Wow, Kevin and David.....thanks for sharing.

seattlerainiers 05-10-2017 11:23 AM

Another handful

4 Attachment(s)
Jay, Joe, Kevin and pro9,

Thanks for the nice comments. Fun to contribute!

Here are a few more Maroons, and a few Millers.

oldjudge 05-10-2017 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More great cards Dave. I thought I'd show a photographer's proof for a Crogan Maroons pose. In the following post the actual card is shown.

oldjudge 05-10-2017 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

kkkkandp 05-11-2017 05:57 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1660074)
More great cards Dave. I thought I'd show a photographer's proof for a Crogan Maroons pose. In the following post the actual card is shown.

Those are great looking cards, guys.

Jay, I love when the N173 (or cabinet proof) and N172 are shown together. I don't have many of those instances, but I do have the matching N173 and N172 of George Van Haltren and the matching N172 and Gilbert & Bacon proof of Gus Weyhing.

Let's keep this thread rolling...

1889 Saint Paul Apostles

oldjudge 05-12-2017 11:07 AM

Nice cards Kevin! I like that 1889 script card of Werrick.

kkkkandp 05-15-2017 11:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Can't let this thread die just yet...

1889 Sioux City Cornhuskers

birdman42 05-16-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlerainiers (Post 1659779)
Here are a few

Not to derail this thread, but any idea what would happen to these beautiful curled OJs if they were smashed flat--in a slab, for instance? It seems like you'd crack the surface.

I imagine some of the OJs currently in slabs were curled at some point; does it take time for damage to appear, or is it okay to flatten them?

Bill

pete zouras 05-16-2017 11:51 AM

I have one card that was curled that developed a crease down the center in the process of putting into a holder (Beckett btw, due to flattening). The other issue I've noticed is image fading even when not exposed to light. Both issues have been the exception for me, hence I keep collecting them.

Leon 05-19-2017 12:04 PM

Not sure on these, but I have seen more than one old judge type card get cracked when flattened out. Others will know more but in my experiences they seem brittle. I am sure the OJ collectors have lots of tales....

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman42 (Post 1661834)
Not to derail this thread, but any idea what would happen to these beautiful curled OJs if they were smashed flat--in a slab, for instance? It seems like you'd crack the surface.

I imagine some of the OJs currently in slabs were curled at some point; does it take time for damage to appear, or is it okay to flatten them?

Bill

kkkkandp 05-19-2017 08:38 PM

I guess I have been exceptionally lucky, but I do not recall having any N172s that were so curled that I feared what might happen if I slabbed them.

I will say, however, that if I DID have one that curled, I would probably opt to not send it for encapsulation.

chlankf 10-29-2017 10:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few Sioux City

chlankf 10-29-2017 10:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more but all Des Moines. Have a DM Owen Patton N173, will dig out and post later. Last I knew it was uncatalogued. Gotta say I love this thread. Keep the pics coming. If anyone wants to part with any DM or SC old judges in any condition,please let me know.

Craig

oldjudge 10-29-2017 11:18 AM

Nice group Craig! I would love to see the cabinet.

chlankf 10-29-2017 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't come across the Patton, but here is Schildknecht. I like the little crooked tree by his right knee.

Craig

kkkkandp 10-29-2017 03:30 PM

Nice assemblage!

I like that you have the matching N172 and N173 od Schildknecht.

BobC 10-30-2017 06:40 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Sorry for coming late to the party, just didn't see this earlier. Unlike a lot of you others, I don't always have the nicest N172s but, I have a few. I believe these include all the Western Association players I have. Sorry if I duplicated any earlier ones already posted.

By the way, on the second to the last OJ posted, Sowders with KC, you'll notice what appears to maybe be some paper loss on the front at the bottom where the first part of the words "Cigarette" and "Goodwin" are missing. That is not the case though as there is no paper missing and somehow those letters never got included as part of the picture. I don't remember seeing that before on any other OJs. Is that something normal that has occurded with other OJs or maybe it is just a known issue with this particular card? Curious if anyone has any thoughts or input on that. Thanks.

Joe_G. 10-30-2017 07:23 PM

Nice cards everyone.

Hello Bob,

Your Sowders card is neat, could be explained by something/anything that would have blocked sunlight through the glass plate negative while developing the print. Could have been a drop of ink on the negative, a corner of overlapping paper, etc. I have a Stump Wiedman OJ with the left side (well beyond the border) omitted in a fashion similar to the bottom corner of your Sowders.

BobC 10-30-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_G. (Post 1715564)
Nice cards everyone.

Hello Bob,

Your Sowders card is neat, could be explained by something/anything that would have blocked sunlight through the glass plate negative while developing the print. Could have been a drop of ink on the negative, a corner of overlapping paper, etc. I have a Stump Wiedman OJ with the left side (well beyond the border) omitted in a fashion similar to the bottom corner of your Sowders.

Thanks Joe,

Interesting and good to know. I think I have couple more WA OJs buried at home still. If I can find them I'll scan and post tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, does the missing print add or even detract from the value, or it really a neutral effect?

kkkkandp 10-31-2017 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 1715573)
Just out of curiosity, does the missing print add or even detract from the value, or it really a neutral effect?

I suppose if you have OCD [or you are a professional third party grader ;)],the missing letters would bother you. Speaking only for myself, as long as the picture is nice, that "defect" wouldn't bother me.

BobC 10-31-2017 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkandp (Post 1715623)
I suppose if you have OCD [or you are a professional third party grader ;)],the missing letters would bother you. Speaking only for myself, as long as the picture is nice, that "defect" wouldn't bother me.

Doesn't bother me at all. Was just curious if something like that was viewed as a betterment or detriment to value for OJs. I know how some T206 collectors go crazy over errors and misprints and in some cases will pay ridiculous amounts for them. While similar error and misprint issues in other cards types go mostly ignored and/or are actually considered as reducing the card values as those cards are now considered imperfect/damaged in some way. Agree the image is the main factor. Just hadn't seen another OJ like that with missing printing though and wondered how that would be perceived/valued by other OJ collectors.

And found a couple more Western Association cards. A different pose for Willis, and another St. Louis Whites player, Crooks.