Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vintage vs Modern pick-ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185160)

Runscott 03-21-2014 09:54 AM

Vintage vs Modern pick-ups

When we start new monthly pick-up threads, it might be helpful to have one for vintage, and one for post-wwii. I'll start an April vintage thread when the time comes, but since that will be April Fool's Day, probably no one will believe I'm serious. What a conundrum.

perezfan 03-21-2014 10:50 AM

Where will we put the acquisitions from during War time... circa 1939 - 45?

Pre? Post?

We'd better start a 3rd thread ;)

Runscott 03-21-2014 10:59 AM

Yeah, to avoid that confusion I would normally just say 'vintage', but if you are 30, the 1990's are vintage. And to me, pre-wwi (the Great War, the War to end all Wars), is pre-war.

71buc 03-21-2014 11:50 AM

This sounds good to me. I tend to be more interested in post war memorabilia than pre war. This would permit me to ignore all of those boring Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, and Gehrig items;)

ooo-ribay 03-21-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1256808)
This sounds good to me. I tend to be more interested in post war memorabilia than pre war. This would permit me to ignore all of those boring Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, and Gehrig items;)

ha ha :D

Runscott 03-21-2014 04:52 PM

Well, this is actually a 'Vintage Memorabilia' Forum, which makes sense given that it's an off-shoot of a 'Pre-War Cards' Forum. And it used to be that most of what was posted here was really cool vintage stuff. Now it often looks like a minor league version of GUU.

Give me a sec - I'm taking pics of my 2007 Astros bench-coach 'game-worn' jersey.

yanks12025 03-21-2014 05:14 PM

I don't see the point of having two pick up threads.

earlywynnfan 03-21-2014 05:17 PM

Does it take that long to scroll past the items that don't interest you?

UnVme7 03-21-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1256927)
Well, this is actually a 'Vintage Memorabilia' Forum, which makes sense given that it's an off-shoot of a 'Pre-War Cards' Forum. And it used to be that most of what was posted here was really cool vintage stuff. Now it often looks like a minor league version of GUU.

Give me a sec - I'm taking pics of my 2007 Astros bench-coach 'game-worn' jersey.

That's probably my fault. I don't collect cards anymore, mostly just game used, and I know lately I've posted some modern game used items, even tho most of my collection is vintage.

If it's bothering people, please let me know and I'll stop. I really had no idea that bothered people that much. There really isn't any sense of me taking pics of a couple modern bats I picked up and put them in one thread. Then....have me take pics of my vintage bat pickups in another. That just isn't worth it to me.

I don't necessarily enjoy scrolling thru the hundreds of photos posted that people pick up, but I don't really have a problem with it either. It's a baseball forum. I get it.

Again, if it bothers people, let me know and I'll stop.

Big Six 03-21-2014 05:43 PM

Doesn't bother me...guess I'm guilty of it, too. I collect both and don't mind seeing the more recent stuff next to the more recent. I think I would on the card and/or auto side though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bugsy 03-21-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1256943)
That's probably my fault. I don't collect cards anymore, mostly just game used, and I know lately I've posted some modern game used items, even tho most of my collection is vintage.

If it's bothering people, please let me know and I'll stop. I really had no idea that bothered people that much. There really isn't any sense of me taking pics of a couple modern bats I picked up and put them in one thread. Then....have me take pics of my vintage bat pickups in another. That just isn't worth it to me.

I don't necessarily enjoy scrolling thru the hundreds of photos posted that people pick up, but I don't really have a problem with it either. It's a baseball forum. I get it.

Keep on posting! I like seeing your collection.

Runscott 03-21-2014 06:43 PM

If you re-read the original post, it did NOT say that non-vintage stuff has no place here. This was merely a suggestion that we have two threads, to separate all the new stuff that is now showing up, from the vintage memorabilia pick-ups.

Yeah, obviously I can read past stuff I'm not interested in. So with that logic, which we seem to get any time a responder doesn't agree with the OP, why not just have one forum? The answer is easy: then you would have to read past a lot more stuff. Two threads might organize things so that the 'reading past' that some of you don't mind doing, could be reduced for those of us who would prefer not to do it.

39special 03-21-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1256951)

+1

Runscott 03-21-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 1256947)
Doesn't bother me...guess I'm guilty of it, too. I collect both and don't mind seeing the more recent stuff next to the more recent. I think I would on the card and/or auto side though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt, it's not a matter of being "guilty" of anything. We used to be 'vintage memorabilia', and now we are 'vintage memorabilia and game-used', so basically, anything goes. Personally, I would prefer three threads - 'vintage pick-ups', 'game-used pickups' and 'photo pick-ups'. Two years ago I wouldn't have suggested such a thing, as we didn't have enough action over here. But now we're seeing, as Nate pointed out, a plethora of photos in the pick-up thread, and also a plethora of modern game-used. Maybe we could support three threads?

I could have just posted an thread 'April Vintage pick-ups', and watched to see if it took off, but I thought I would ask for opinions first. I should have seen that this would simply start a 'vintage vs game-used' thing, and that wasn't my intent. I also have game-used stuff, including jerseys, so I have nothing against them.

Runscott 03-21-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1256951)

So, Chris - what's your response to the question? I know you like seeing them, but do you see any point in two separate threads?

And to the guy who responded with +1 - any answer to the OP?

(again, this wasn't a 'go away, Nate' post)

Runscott 03-21-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1256943)

Nate, sorry for the late response. This wasn't a thread to tell you to that your posts "bother people" and that you should stop posting. I really thought my question was fairly clear - 2 threads, or stay with one? What part of that told you to stop posting? This has to be the straw man creation thread of the century.

If you don't like scrolling through tons of photos (I agree with you totally on that point), then why not suggest a separate 'photo pick-up' thread? There's really nothing wrong with that idea, given how many photo collectors have entered the market lately, and how many photo archives are being auctioned off.

71buc 03-21-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39special (Post 1256962)
+1

+2 I don't collect such items, however, I do enjoy the variety of collections posted here. I have both pre Jackie Robinson and post Jackie Robinson items in my collection. Nonetheless, I prefer to collect players I saw play or those my father told me about from his youth. Although I appreciate the historical value of pre Robinson items, I just have difficulty developing an emotional attachment to players I never saw. That being said I remain interested in seeing the items other collectors are passionate about no matter their vintage. Because of this I would likely spend equal time viewing both pick up threads if that split occurs.

39special 03-21-2014 07:34 PM

I have no problem with pre war and post war threads.I mainly collect post war,but enjoy
checking out both.There have been some great pick ups on here from both pre and post war.

UnVme7 03-21-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1256969)
Nate, sorry for the late response. This wasn't a thread to tell you to that your posts "bother people" and that you should stop posting. I really thought my question was fairly clear - 2 threads, or stay with one? What part of that told you to stop posting? This has to be the straw man creation thread of the century.

If you don't like scrolling through tons of photos (I agree with you totally on that point), then why not suggest a separate 'photo pick-up' thread? There's really nothing wrong with that idea, given how many photo collectors have entered the market lately, and how many photo archives are being auctioned off.

You're ok, Scott. I didn't actually mean it to sound like I responding just to you. It was more for everyone who may think it's been annoying.

We used to have a game used portion and Leon closed it down, and that's ok. I was usually one of the few that posted in it anyways, that's why he moved the game used in with the vintage memoribilia. I think more people would start posting in that though now than what little traffic it got before.

I guess I could always start a game used thread each month to keep it away from the photos/memoribilia pickups that seems like what most people post anyways. That way, if you want to see it, great. If game used really isn't your thing, you can scroll past it. I really don't have a problem with that if that is what everyone would like to see happen.

BTW-- thank you all for the nice messages. I didn't even know you guys paid much attention to what I posted in the pick up threads.

Runscott 03-21-2014 07:45 PM

I don't think 'vintage' should necessarily have the same 'pre-war' date split that is recognized over on the card side. Bowman and Topps came along right after wwii, so that split was natural. To me, the vintage split with game-used should be set at around the time that it all became commercialized - probably at some point in the 1980's, around the time that baseball cards became almost uncollectible due to speculation (1988?). Am I right about this? Or was it earlier for game-used?

Also, I'm not asking for a forum split or new sub-forums. This was really just a simple question about having two 'threads' - threads are not really a big deal.
Hindsight tells me I should have just done it, and if no one responded to the 'vintage' pick-ups thread, I would have had my answer.

I LOVE my game-used stuff!!!

Look below - I'm a good guy with an open mind :)
  • Glenn Davis spring training baseball cap
  • Nolan Ryan 5th no-hitter ball
  • 2009 game-used Dallas Cowboys jersey
  • 2014 NFC Championship football

Runscott 03-21-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1256984)
We used to have a game used portion and Leon closed it down, and that's ok.

Nate, I'm really sorry - I didn't realize that had happened. I have been posting over on GUU lately, and it seems like a pretty knowledgeable crowd.

ooo-ribay 03-21-2014 09:31 PM

Jesus.....I'm new here.....I thought this kind of bickering only took place in that other, non-baseball forum where I have 12K+ posts. Show all your stuff, guys.....it's not like this place is that busy....but I do like it! :p

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-21-2014 09:45 PM

Show it all!

Runscott 03-21-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1257039)
Jesus.....I'm new here.....I thought this kind of bickering only took place in that other, non-baseball forum where I have 12K+ posts. Show all your stuff, guys.....it's not like this place is that busy....but I do like it! :p

Rob, no one suggested that 'all' stuff should not be shown. Read the post before you respond, please. The 'bickering' was due to the same sort of straw man you just built, so stop contributing to it. Thanks.

edited to add: Here's a thought for you, Rob, and the others who either didn't understand my OP, or who are thinking of this as me wanting to rid the forum of GU stuff (which I have stated repeatedly was NOT my intent). Instead of the aforementioned, think of my new thread idea as wanting to rid YOUR monthly game-used thread of those pesky vintage things by removing it to a new 'monthly vintage pick-ups' thread.

ooo-ribay 03-22-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1257048)
Rob, no one suggested that 'all' stuff should not be shown. Read the post before you respond, please. The 'bickering' was due to the same sort of straw man you just built, so stop contributing to it. Thanks.

Scott- the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth? I had just returned from happy (3) hour when I posted that. Never a good idea. I apologize.....I knew exactly what you were saying and it's not a bad idea. In my inebriated state, I was more taken by the back and forth and made the dumb decision to fuel the fire. You are obviously a major contributor here and a major asset. No need for me to be on your bad side!

Runscott 03-22-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1257123)
Scott- the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth? I had just returned from happy (3) hour when I posted that. Never a good idea. I apologize.....I knew exactly what you were saying and it's not a bad idea. In my inebriated state, I was more taken by the back and forth and made the dumb decision to fuel the fire. You are obviously a major contributor here and a major asset. No need for me to be on your bad side!

It's okay. I always have to be very careful when I say anything about game-used, adding two attaboys for any criticism or suggested change. I wasn't careful enough this time, and the result, in hindsight, should have been expected.

David Atkatz 03-22-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1257123)
I had just returned from happy (3) hour when I posted that.

Happy Hour? In Salt Lake City?!

perezfan 03-22-2014 01:47 PM

perezfan 03-22-2014 01:49 PM

Inebriated on Candy and Sprite? :confused:

Unless Rob's a "member" ;)

thecatspajamas 03-22-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1256767)
When we start new monthly pick-up threads, it might be helpful to have one for vintage, and one for post-wwii.

Having separate vintage and modern pick-up threads sounds fine to me.

Runscott 03-22-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1257275)
Having separate vintage and modern pick-up threads sounds fine to me.

Lance, your quote of my original post makes me sound so sane. How did you do that? :confused:

ooo-ribay 03-22-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1257236)
Inebriated on Candy and Sprite? :confused:

Unless Rob's a "member" ;)

They don't do the member thing anymore. Had to loosen the rules a bit when all those heavy drinking euros came over for the 2002 winter games. The place I was at last night doesn't even have food....just beer and booze :eek: :D

thecatspajamas 03-23-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1257276)
Lance, your quote of my original post makes me sound so sane. How did you do that? :confused:

Having more sanity in threads sounds fine to me too.

Scott Garner 03-23-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1257217)
Happy Hour? In Salt Lake City?!

happy (3) hour :)