Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Surprising Red Wings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169279)

billyb 05-24-2013 08:54 AM

Surprising Red Wings

Wow, the Red Wings are surprising everyone. And with a lot of young raw talent. This is a great series and fun to watch.

nolemmings 05-24-2013 01:35 PM

No doubt about it--they're hot. Personally I think it's a last hurrah for the current bunch--they need some makeover, particularly on defense. They finished 7th for a reason, and while it was a short season, I'm not sure they make the playoffs at all if they had played the usual 80 games.

The best thing they have going for them is that they're moving to the East. I really think the West is superior in nearly all phases of the game, and it's going to stay that way for at least the short term. I'll put it out there now--whoever wins the West takes the Cup, with one possible exception--Pittsburgh could beat Detroit. They are two similar teams and the Pens have more talent (but less in goal). I think they get worn down by the other three remaining West candidates, but they could and maybe should have enough to beat the Wings.

billyb 05-24-2013 03:13 PM

The wings have groomed the grey beards. They have a lot of young talent now, that is what is surprising about this run they are on. No Holstrom, Linstrom and they brought in bertuzzi for a game or two and he has not played the last two or three, they are going with their youth.
The young Defenseman they have, Smith, looks terrific. Great puck handler and has lots of patience with his puck handling.
I am looking forward to the move to the East, and it should bring back the old rivalries between the Leafs and Canadians.

HRBAKER 05-24-2013 03:23 PM

As a Blues fan I've long since stopped being surprised by the Red Wings.

billyb 05-24-2013 04:59 PM

St. Louis, I am also surprised they got knocked out already, good team.

TUM301 05-24-2013 06:53 PM

Until completely falling asleep last nite, really thought the Bruins were going to sweep the Rangers. Want to end this thing Sat. and not give NY any hope. Let`s GO B`s !!!

billyb 05-24-2013 06:55 PM

agreed, when you have a team down, don't let them get back up. Boston should handle them ok.

billyb 05-25-2013 10:12 PM

Game 5 , Hawks 4-1..........ouch

TUM301 05-26-2013 07:39 AM

Thinking the Wings are headed to a game 7, nothing like it in all of Pro sports! Solid win for the B`s, next up Pitts. Going to be a tuff test but i think they`re up to it. Let`s Go B`s !!

billyb 05-26-2013 07:47 AM

Murphy,
That is what scares me, I think they are up to it also. If the Wings don't do in six, at home, they will be in deep sh..................kaka.

billyb 05-27-2013 10:25 PM

uh-oh, game 7

billyb 05-27-2013 10:26 PM

Wings are in trouble now.

nolemmings 05-28-2013 12:41 AM

Defenseman Smith did not look so terrific as Chicago scored goals 2 and 3 thanks to him in large part. He is young and will get better though.

Game 7 will be a barnburner. I think Datsyuk has one more magical game in him, but the D will need to shore up. They should try and exploit Oduya-- decent offensive threat but a doofus on the blue line--rattle him and he will make some classic bonehead play. Seabrook isn't much better.

Defense will be the key for Game 7, but I'm picking the winner to lose in the next round anyway.

Prof_Plum 05-28-2013 06:36 AM

Couple of stupid penalties by Hawk veterans Sharp and Hossa made the last ~4 min more of a nail biter than it needed to be. Oduya's brain fart didn't help.

I agree about defense being key in game 7. Seabrook has been a disappointment for much of the season. Teaming back up with Keith might help. Crawford continues to be shaky at times and Hawks make too many stupid plays/turnovers in their own end. Fortunately they seem to have stopped making horrible line changes which have cost them goals in the past (fingers crossed).

Wings did win game 7 in Anaheim so they got that going for them. As well as winning game 2 in Chicago.

billyb 05-28-2013 08:46 AM

Wings defense, without Lindstrom, is not that strong either. The Hawks are putting a lot of pressure on the young defensemen and it is paying off for them. Least mistakes is going to win this last game, I hate to say it, but I think Hawks are going to pull one out of the fire.
The only thing going for the Wings is they went through one game seven already, on the road. That and the Euro Twins are going to have to have one great game.

TUM301 05-28-2013 11:56 AM

Hawks will come out flying and try to take advantage of home ice crowd. If the wings can hold off the initial charge and maybe score the 1`st goal I actually like there chances. The wait is a killer but got a feeling this game 7 will not disappoint.

billyb 05-28-2013 11:08 PM

I agree, its been a good series. Pressure is still on Hawks, President trophy winners and in front of their home crowd, you are right, if Detroit can hold on early, could be an interesting game.

benderbroeth 05-29-2013 06:07 PM

I am more excited about the NHL playoffs then the NBA playoffs, more balanced teams and just more intensity overall

billyb 05-29-2013 06:11 PM

Ed,
Now you're catching on. You need to move to Michigan. The playoffs are usually tough hard fought contest. As Mickey Redmand would say, "no place for a nervous person."

bmarlowe1 05-29-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1137766)
...They should try and exploit Oduya-- decent offensive threat but a doofus on the blue line--rattle him and he will make some classic bonehead play. Seabrook isn't much better....

You were right about Oduya with respect to the Wings only goal tonight.

I think Seabrook has been excellent since being benched for part of game 4. Heady play tonight on the Hawks 2nd (or was it third?) goal.

billyb 05-29-2013 11:04 PM

Ouch, so close and come up short. Great series, great comeback by the Hawks. They should have won it in regulation, the call was bad.
The Wings last game in the Western Conference was an overtime seventh game loss. There is one for a future trivia buffs.
Ouch, it still hurts.

TUM301 05-30-2013 07:40 AM

Bill, good series by the Wings. Don`t think they could have played much better and that`s really all you can ask. Maybe they could have used the best 7 game series player I ever saw Detroit Have, Mickey Lolich 1968 !!! Now that was an athlete ...........

billyb 05-30-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1138818)
Bill, good series by the Wings. Don`t think they could have played much better and that`s really all you can ask. Maybe they could have used the best 7 game series player I ever saw Detroit Have, Mickey Lolich 1968 !!! Now that was an athlete ...........

Murphy,
LOL, his belt line showed it. He was a great pitcher with a rubber arm, but you never seen him on a box of Wheaties. But he was a great 7th game pitcher, and with just two days rest.