Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Old Timers Who Belong in the HOF (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251983)

Jeff Alcorn 05-22-2018 12:44 AM

A few that come to mind-

Eddie Meador, Alex Karras, Gino Cappelletti, Bubba Smith, Johnny Robinson (Chiefs), Bob Boyd (Colts), Jim Marshall, Lamar Lundy, Rosey Grier, Roman Gabriel, Daryle Lamonica, Jim Nance, Dave Grayson, Harold Jackson, Tommy Nobis, George Byrd, Cookie Gilchrist, Ken Riley, Don Perkins, Lionel Taylor, and nearly everyone else mentioned above. I also heard Bart Starr being interviewed and he really pushed for Bob Skoronski, saying his blocking graded out as well as Forrest Gregg's.

I think that there are too many great players that have been ignored, and I am sure that many more would come to mind if I took the time to compile a list. Eddie Meador is on top of my list (as an old school Rams' fan), and Merlin Olsen advocated for him as have a number of others. He is a quiet and humble guy that does not blow his own horn, but he was the leader on the great Rams defenses under George Allen. Safety is a very overlooked position in the HOF, and this situation should be corrected.

Jeff

sb1 05-24-2018 05:43 AM

Gale Gillingham would be a strong candidate.

vintagechris 05-30-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn (Post 1779192)
A few that come to mind-

Eddie Meador, Alex Karras, Gino Cappelletti, Bubba Smith, Johnny Robinson (Chiefs), Bob Boyd (Colts), Jim Marshall, Lamar Lundy, Rosey Grier, Roman Gabriel, Daryle Lamonica, Jim Nance, Dave Grayson, Harold Jackson, Tommy Nobis, George Byrd, Cookie Gilchrist, Ken Riley, Don Perkins, Lionel Taylor, and nearly everyone else mentioned above. I also heard Bart Starr being interviewed and he really pushed for Bob Skoronski, saying his blocking graded out as well as Forrest Gregg's.

I think that there are too many great players that have been ignored, and I am sure that many more would come to mind if I took the time to compile a list. Eddie Meador is on top of my list (as an old school Rams' fan), and Merlin Olsen advocated for him as have a number of others. He is a quiet and humble guy that does not blow his own horn, but he was the leader on the great Rams defenses under George Allen. Safety is a very overlooked position in the HOF, and this situation should be corrected.

Jeff

I really like this list!

bbcard1 05-31-2018 07:28 AM

Personally, I don't think his career was long enough, but Norm Willey is an interesting case. 17 sacks in ONE GAME.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-31-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Alcorn (Post 1779192)
A few that come to mind-

Jeff

These guys always seemed like horrible oversights to me

VoodooChild 05-31-2018 01:48 PM

I agree with a lot of the guys already listed and was trying to think of someone not mentioned yet. I was very young when he played, but I collect 70's and George Kunz seems to have an All-Pro card for just about every year. I guess OL and especially Right Tackles don't get much respect but he was the 2nd overall selection in the '69 draft after O.J. (Mean Joe was 4th). Yeah, the Falcons were bad in the early 70's but he was on the team for their first two winning seasons and then he played for some really good Colts teams in the mid-70's who just ran into better Steelers and Raiders teams. So, he gets my vote.

Also, now that I think about it, another 70's Falcons OL, Center - Jeff Van Note, would get my vote too.

TanksAndSpartans 06-04-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1782153)
Personally, I don't think his career was long enough, but Norm Willey is an interesting case. 17 sacks in ONE GAME.

I believed this when I first read it as well, but when I looked into it via someone who does research on sacks, I was told:

"Willey likely had 8 in that game, according to Paul Zimmerman who was there. The Eagles has 12 and Zimmerman says 8"

I believe 8 would still be the record, so not a bad game! It would be nice if he was at least recognized as one of the top players of the 50s - he seems mostly forgotten.

AFLfan 06-04-2018 02:38 PM

If any of you guys would like to see the Chiefs' Johnny Robinson get in, I have been working on a campaign for him. I am gathering quotes from former players and football authors/historians that support him. I also have a petition on my website with which I am gathering signatures.

Two member of the HoF Senior Committee have agreed to present the quotes and petition results at their next voting meeting in August. Please feel free to sign and share the petition with whomever you like.

Thanks, Todd

http://talesfromtheamericanfootballl...-hall-of-fame/