Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1946 to Present MLB Debut Auto Project - Need Help with 3 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=151132)

stat192 05-14-2012 04:54 AM

1946 to Present MLB Debut Auto Project - Need Help with 3

I am trying to collect an autograph of every MLB baseball player and manager who has debuted since 1946 to present. I only need 3 autographs to complete this project. They are

1948 Dan Lynch (Pirates / Cubs )
1949-50 Eddie Albrecht (Browns )
1955 Wenceslao Gonzales (Senators )

Looking for single signed item or team signed item. Will pay top dollar. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

12/13/12 update - I was able get these last 3 in 2012 and now have every auto from 1946 to 2012

mr2686 05-14-2012 07:12 AM

That sounds like a hugh project...and you only have 3 left? Well done. I looked around briefly this morning at all the places I go to, and nothing. Given the small amount of time they played and their passing prior to the autograph craze in the mid to late 80's, I'd say they're gonna be tough.

bender07 05-14-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stat192 (Post 993146)
I am trying to collect an autograph of every MLB baseball player and manager who has debuted since 1946 to present. I only need 3 autographs to complete this project. They are

1948 Dan Lynch (Pirates / Cubs )
1949-50 Eddie Albrecht (Browns )
1955 Wenceslao Gonzales (Senators )

Looking for single signed item or team signed item. Will pay top dollar. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

How did you go about amassing such a huge collection?

btcarfagno 05-14-2012 04:19 PM

Within the next month I have almost 5,000 index cards and GPCs coming in from original collections that began in the late 1960's so I could have something coming in.

What a monumental feat (minus three)! I am embarqing on a project of my own...an example of every player who has played even a single game for the Pirates from 1900 to present.

I will let you know if anything comes in.

Tom C

stat192 05-14-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am down to those 3 from 1946 to present. Of course every day there is someone new who debuts in 2012 that I have to locate. The majority are on 3x5s but at this point I will take them on anything. It has taking me about 13 years, but it has been fun learning the stories behind the players such as Eddie Gaedel and Dick Wantz I know this site has a lot of advanced collectors, so I figured I would give it a shot. Thanks for reading.

sclynch 12-12-2012 08:08 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I joined the forum just to respond to this and another thread. If you or anyone else does come across anything for Dan Lynch related to his time with the Pirates, Cubs, or minor league play, I am very interested in buying. He was my grandfather, and I am trying to find something, anything with or without his signature to give as a gift for my dad, Dan Lynch III. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately nothing exists in the family related to my grandfather's time in baseball.

stat192 12-13-2012 03:59 AM

I was actually able to pick up lynch on a 1948 Chicago cubs team signed ball. I have another post with a picture of the ball.

I also have an original picture of lynch from the sporting news that I will gladly give you. Please send me your mailing address.

Merry Christmas

Scott Garner 12-13-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stat192 (Post 1062152)
I was actually able to pick up lynch on a 1948 Chicago cubs team signed ball. I have another post with a picture of the ball.

I also have an original picture of lynch from the sporting news that I will gladly give you. Please send me your mailing address.

Merry Christmas

Nice job, Giovanni! :)

stat192 12-13-2012 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a 1948 Chicago Cubs team signed ball with Lynch on it. Also if you go to email and search 1951 Rochester Redwings, there are numerous team pictures with him in it.

isaac2004 12-13-2012 07:02 AM

do you have a website to showcase this massive collection?

Tom Hufford 12-13-2012 09:11 PM

Congrats, Giovanni, not an easy accomplishment - there are some real toughies in there, as you know!

whyconform 12-14-2012 07:21 AM

wow ....pics please lol

stat192 12-14-2012 11:53 AM

Though it is alot of autographs, my collection is kinda boring, as it is mostly signed index cards. My new project is getting all the Topps sets signed from 1957 to 1989. I will definitely post pics of the better autos as I get them.

But the thing I love most of about the challenge of locating all the autographs was how much i learned about so many of the lesser known players. Like the grandson of Danny Lynch who posted on this thread, it was so neat to be able to tell him things about his grandfather that he didnt even know.

isaac2004 12-14-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stat192 (Post 1062572)
Though it is alot of autographs, my collection is kinda boring, as it is mostly signed index cards. My new project is getting all the Topps sets signed from 1957 to 1989. I will definitely post pics of the better autos as I get them.

But the thing I love most of about the challenge of locating all the autographs was how much i learned about so many of the lesser known players. Like the grandson of Danny Lynch who posted on this thread, it was so neat to be able to tell him things about his grandfather that he didnt even know.

I would imagine you have a lot of multi-signed items (like from Minor League or ST) but what you said about index cards, that doesn't seem to be the case. Did you TTM a lot of them?

JimStinson 12-14-2012 11:57 AM

JimStinson

Quote:

Not boring in the least ! the fun is in the journey not the destination and all the stuff you learn along the way.....Great Job !

dgo71 12-14-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

my collection is kinda boring

FALSE! :D

I have some great memories of nice TTM correspondence I received from some 1940's players. Lesser known guys like Dutch Fehring, Alton Brown, etc. I'll never forget those guys just from the little notes they wrote to me, I can only imagine the stories you have from amassing such a collection. Tremendous accomplishment!

stat192 12-14-2012 02:33 PM

Actually I have probably less than 5 multi signed items. At the begin I would only get the players on index cards but at the end it was so hard to find some players such as John Carden, Danny Lynch, Wence Gonzalez, Webbo Clarke, and Enrique Gonzalez, I obtained them on anything I could such as team signed balls or team sheets.

With regards to through the mail, I probably send out 25 letters a week and have been doing so for the last 14 years. Most people hate mail but I love it. Today I got Del Unser, Jose Cardenal, and Dale Murphy on cards and Bruce Froemming on a ball. How can you beat getting a former MVP and possible Hall of Famer for free.

And yes, I do have some great notes and items I received from players over the years. One of my favorite was Joe Szekely. I kept writing him and I would never get a response. One day I get a letter from the family telling me that he had been deceased for 5 years but they included 2 of his checks with his signature.

Amazing when things like that happen.

isaac2004 12-14-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stat192 (Post 1062652)
Actually I have probably less than 5 multi signed items. At the begin I would only get the players on index cards but at the end it was so hard to find some players such as John Carden, Danny Lynch, Wence Gonzalez, Webbo Clarke, and Enrique Gonzalez, I obtained them on anything I could such as team signed balls or team sheets.

With regards to through the mail, I probably send out 25 letters a week and have been doing so for the last 14 years. Most people hate mail but I love it. Today I got Del Unser, Jose Cardenal, and Dale Murphy on cards and Bruce Froemming on a ball. How can you beat getting a former MVP and possible Hall of Famer for free.

And yes, I do have some great notes and items I received from players over the years. One of my favorite was Joe Szelsky. I kept writing him and I would never get a response. One day I get a letter from the family telling me that he had been deceased for 5 years but they included 2 of his checks with his signature.

Amazing when things like that happen.

lol akward

mr2686 12-14-2012 03:38 PM

Hmmm, death doesn't seem to stop Babe Ruth from signing so I find it hard to believe Joe Szelsky couldn't sign for ya :)

Michael B 12-15-2012 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Giovanni,

That is a great project and I hope you complete it as is possible. I am sure the debuts each year make it a challenge, especially with so many players not signing index cards and players jumping up to the majors then back to the minors. As one of the others mentioned TTM is really great, especially with some of the responses. I used to do it for baseball players and now I do it for Olympians. The few address lists out there are more focused on medal winners and famous athletes. Think of trying to collect only those who played in the World Series or the All Star Game. Your project would be much, much easier.

I take the same approach with Olympians. I am interested in any and all no matter what they did in the games. Gold medal or 74th in the marathon, track and field or team handball, it does not matter as long as they competed. As such I track down a lot of athletes that are not on Harvey Meiselman’s or C.J. Aponte’s (the creator of the first Olympic address list copied by Harvey) address lists. The responses are great. I get nice notes, pins, postcards, photos, business cards and other items. Some even provide phone numbers and ask me to call them if I need anything else. One Olympian/retired police officer tracked down my unlisted phone number and called me to thank me for writing him.

All of those responses are wonderful, but the attached image of an index card I received from a 1948 athlete blew me away. He has not been asked for his autograph in 64 years! This is not a case where he does not respond to requests; he has not been asked since he competed in London. I could not imagine a baseball player or for that matter basketball, football or hockey player going that long without being asked with all of the collectors in those sports. Just thought I would share.

Scott Garner 12-15-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael b (Post 1062963)
giovanni,

that is a great project and i hope you complete it as is possible. I am sure the debuts each year make it a challenge, especially with so many players not signing index cards and players jumping up to the majors then back to the minors. As one of the others mentioned ttm is really great, especially with some of the responses. I used to do it for baseball players and now i do it for olympians. The few address lists out there are more focused on medal winners and famous athletes. Think of trying to collect only those who played in the world series or the all star game. Your project would be much, much easier.

I take the same approach with olympians. I am interested in any and all no matter what they did in the games. Gold medal or 74th in the marathon, track and field or team handball, it does not matter as long as they competed. As such i track down a lot of athletes that are not on harvey meiselman’s or c.j. Aponte’s (the creator of the first olympic address list copied by harvey) address lists. The responses are great. I get nice notes, pins, postcards, photos, business cards and other items. Some even provide phone numbers and ask me to call them if i need anything else. One olympian/retired police officer tracked down my unlisted phone number and called me to thank me for writing him.

All of those responses are wonderful, but the attached image of an index card i received from a 1948 athlete blew me away. He has not been asked for his autograph in 64 years! This is not a case where he does not respond to requests; he has not been asked since he competed in london. I could not imagine a baseball player or for that matter basketball, football or hockey player going that long without being asked with all of the collectors in those sports. Just thought i would share.

I love it!! :)