Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ellam question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145356)

frankbmd 12-26-2011 09:17 PM

Ellam question

T206 Ellam is pictured in a Nashville uniform. He played for Birmingham from 1909-1915. He joined Nashville in 1916. Did they sign him in 1916 because he already had a card?

Are there other examples of T206ers, who are in uniforms for teams they did not play for or manage during 1908-1911? Just wondering.........

FrankWakefield 12-26-2011 10:39 PM

Seems to be a mistake. An enigma. No way American Litho 'knew' Ellam would eventually be with Nashville. I remember looking at his stats in old Spalding Records, and wondering what was going on with that. It is surprising. One of many in that white border set.

drc 12-26-2011 11:33 PM

People always say T206s were ahead of their time.

Actually, they don't say that, but for this post let's pretend they do.

Maybe it was really bad spelling.

Abravefan11 12-27-2011 06:30 AM

Frank - When the team caption was added to the Ellam card they simply made a mistake. If you look at the southern league players that were selected to be in the set, each team from the Southern Association and Virginia State League had at least two representatives. This is how the distribution for the Southern Association would have been had Ellam been correctly identified.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C...s437/Ellam.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 950311)
Are there other examples of T206ers, who are in uniforms for teams they did not play for or manage during 1908-1911? Just wondering.........

Foley White
Another player in the set that some have thought was an error is Foley White. White's team designation is Houston but his statistical information for 1909 is for Waco.

After the 1908 season White signed with Houston. In early 1909 he reported to the team and participated in their preseason. This included catching the last game for Houston, the day before the Texas League opener. During the first weeks of the Texas League season White never played for Houston. By the end of May he would be released and joined the Waco team.

http://t206resource.com/Gallery%20Im...te%20Foley.jpg

FrankWakefield 12-27-2011 06:36 AM

Nice graphic, Tim.

Who was it that first posted here on Net54 about Foley White?

Abravefan11 12-27-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 950357)
Who was it that first posted here on Net54 about Foley White?

Frank - I couldn't answer that. I do know you began a thread sometime ago regarding the White card. After doing research on the southern league players, that included reading every days paper from February to June tracking White, I emailed you filling you in on what I found as I wasn't aware you had ever had your question answered. I never received a response. If someone knew about Foley White and why his team designation was Houston and not Waco, I wasn't aware, but I don't see why that is relevant to this thread. Why would what I posted require a qualifier about who talked about the White card on 54 first? Your bullying me while I try and participate in this forum in a positive way is uncalled for and childish.

frankbmd 12-27-2011 07:11 AM

Another possibility

If the identification of Ellam with Nashville was just a mistake, consider this.
There was a fellow named Kellum who did play for Nashville in the 1909-11 era.
I suppose it could have been a misidentification of the player or a misidentification of the team.
I'd like to see pictures of both players Kellum and Ellam

FrankWakefield 12-27-2011 07:16 AM

Tim, thank you, Sir. I appreciate it when I'm called childish. I apologize for taking your time with that when I know you're wanting to add pages to websites and such.

As for Kellum / Ellam, I think folks have been satisfied that the image on the Ellam, Nashville card really was Ellam.

frankbmd 12-27-2011 07:35 AM

Ellam pic

Baseball reference thumbnails of Kellum and Ellam attached.
Kellum looks like a photo. Ellam looks like an image taken from his card.
Are there other Ellam photos out there??

Thanks to all for their input.

Frank B

frankbmd 12-27-2011 08:31 AM

Ellam Pic

Asked and answered.

Same pose, but not a Nashville uniform.

So much for the Kellum theory.

DixieBaseball 12-27-2011 08:34 AM

Ellam :

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Frank,

This mini should help answer your question :

Happy Holidays,

frankbmd 12-27-2011 08:55 AM

Thanks Jeremy

slidekellyslide 12-27-2011 11:31 AM

Sometimes I think people on here must have me blocked or just skip past my threads/posts. :D

I just reposted my Ellam thread from 5 years ago yesterday.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=connellsville

wonkaticket 12-27-2011 12:39 PM

Tim how dare you share info without checking with Frank Wakefield! After all since he may have posted on this on net54 a few years ago I’m sure because of that he was the first person to ever notice this.

I also heard Frank was the first person to post on the moon landing on a space and NASA net54 therefore making him the first person to land on the moon. Now if that jerk Armstrong would stop stealing his thunder and those jerks at NASA would add his name to the list we could move on already.

Hey Tim have you added the names Franks wants yet? I really want to start using the site soon please add them…..

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...ared/comic.JPG

Cheers,

John

Ease 12-27-2011 03:21 PM

I was hoping this would lead to some funny PSing, its been too long! Love it John!

FrankWakefield 12-27-2011 05:33 PM

Wear me out, Tim and John... and this is the thread where you should do it. Tim doesn't want to post in an ungentlemanly manner in the 'resource' thread.

And to be sure I understand you, John, it's your perception that I'm crying and whining that annoys you... you don't actually think I'm wrong about the need for acknowledgements, but just that I keep going on and on about it, right?

Abravefan11 12-27-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 950548)
Tim doesn't want to post in an ungentlemanly manner in the 'resource' thread.

Frank - I don't change my tone or how I post based on the thread that post in, or the person I'm posting too. Nothing about what I posted prior in this thread was ungentlemanly. You are a bully and you were acting childish. I think I put that very courteously in respect to your intentions to goad me. That won't happen, nor will you have any other influence over anything I do. I'd prefer we all just post about the topics at hand. This was a good thread.

FrankWakefield 12-27-2011 06:05 PM

Well I did influence you to post again...

So how's that acknowledgement thread coming along?

Runscott 12-27-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 950555)
Well I did influence you to post again...

So how's that acknowledgement thread coming along?

It was a good thread. Curse you, Frank.

John - you have too much time on your hands. Please don't tell me you have created an entire comic book. If so, can I be the Joe Weider advertisement?

FrankWakefield 12-27-2011 09:12 PM

Tim, you've called me a bully and said I was acting childish in your post #17. Please would you specify which post and how I was doing either, then distinguish that conduct from John's post #14? Thank you. And also, while at it, your point would be that I'm a bully and I was acting childish; you don't take exception to the concept that the 'resource' site should have acknowledgements, right? You guys continually seem to dance away from that and malign me and my posts, but not the idea behind them. And please do all of this with your own free will, and not from any influence from me.

wonkaticket 12-27-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 950548)
And to be sure I understand you, John, it's your perception that I'm crying and whining that annoys you... you don't actually think I'm wrong about the need for acknowledgements, but just that I keep going on and on about it, right?

No Frank I'm not 100% in agreement with your thoughts on adding certain names made that clear many posts ago. I don’t care if you think names need to be added that’s your right but you have also voiced that many posts ago as well.

At this point you and others here are like a broken record asking the same thing over and over it's clear for whatever reasons the owners have taken a position in stark contrast to your views so let it go already.

It’s now looking like just a few little boys throwing a tantrum in cyberspace with sour grape juice center of the pity party.

That’s all I’m saying and I think I have been pretty clear the whole time.

John

Leon 12-29-2011 12:02 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 950641)
No Frank I'm not 100% in agreement with your thoughts on adding certain names made that clear many posts ago. I don’t care if you think names need to be added that’s your right but you have also voiced that many posts ago as well.

At this point you and others here are like a broken record asking the same thing over and over it's clear for whatever reasons the owners have taken a position in stark contrast to your views so let it go already.

It’s now looking like just a few little boys throwing a tantrum in cyberspace with sour grape juice center of the pity party.

That’s all I’m saying and I think I have been pretty clear the whole time.

John

Thanks for putting your name out here John!!