Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   September pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324487)

JLange 09-05-2022 10:02 AM

September pickups

1 Attachment(s)
Thrilled with my latest HOF Magazine pickup - none other than Ty Cobb!

Thanks, Gary!

Mark 09-05-2022 10:25 AM

nice

Spectacular way to lead off a new month.

TUM301 09-06-2022 06:12 AM

Wow really nice Cobb addition to your collection Sir, enjoy that for a long time. New pick up for me from one of my niche Babe interests. Nice photo of the Babe jumping in to "play" the tuba with his St Mary`s Industrial School Band. Ruth took the band on tour with him to many games at the end of the 1920 season. St Mary`s, Babe`s home for most of his youth, had a terrible fire and thus needed to fund raise in hopes of recovering. Babe never forgot his boys or where he came from.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e7b62417_b.jpgUntitled by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr

Huck 09-08-2022 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recent purchase. I like advertising with a baseball tie-in. Such memorabilia is getting tougher to find.

Bicem 09-08-2022 01:52 PM

Outstanding Cobb cover.

bobfreedman 09-08-2022 03:04 PM

Candy Container

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to add this beauty to my collection

GaryPassamonte 09-08-2022 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine. Always liked it.

bgar3 09-08-2022 04:08 PM

Nice Bob and Gary. How did it hold Candy?

GaryPassamonte 09-08-2022 04:10 PM

It opens at the waist, Bruce.

ooo-ribay 09-09-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 2261657)
Recent purchase. I like advertising with a baseball tie-in. Such memorabilia is getting tougher to find.

Pretty awesome! How big is that?

Huck 09-09-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2261992)
Pretty awesome! How big is that?

Thank you. The piece is 11 x 28.

Scott Garner 09-10-2022 06:24 AM

Fire Trucks and Blackie

6 Attachment(s)
I finally was able to complete two framed pieces that I have been working on for a while that I thought I would share.

The first is dedicated to Virgil "Fire" Trucks that hurled two no-hitters in 1952.
The Type I photo of Trucks in his windup is at Briggs Stadium in 1949. The action sequence is from his 1st of two no-hitters (5/15/52 @ Briggs).
The two tickets in the display are to Trucks' ML debut and 1st career win.

Virgil Trucks was also dominant in the 1944 Army Navy 7-game World Championship in HI.
Along with Navy pitching teammate Johnny Vander Meer, Trucks won 4 straight games to take the series in a runaway.

The second framed piece features Ewell Blackwell, aka "The Whip".
I shared the Blackie pinback on the pin thread as a recent pickup.
Here is the completed framed piece that features a Type I photo of Blackwell, Vandy and Frank Noodles Hahn in the dugout following Blackie's no-hitter in 1947. Noodles Hahn, also a Cincinnati Red, hurled the 1st no-hitter of the 20th century in 1901. He actually pitched Reds BP into his 70's. :cool:

The ticket is to Blackwell's next pitching appearance after the no-hitter where he almost pitched a second consecutive no-hitter, going 8 1/3 innings before losing the no-no. This is the closest that any pitcher ever came to duplicating Vandy's back-to-back no-hit ML record...

Huck 09-10-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2262196)
I finally was able to complete two framed pieces that I have been working on for a while that I thought I would share.

The first is dedicated to Virgil "Fire" Trucks that hurled two no-hitters in 1952.
The Type I photo of Trucks in his windup is at Briggs Stadium in 1949. The action sequence is from his 1st of two no-hitters (5/15/52 @ Briggs).

Virgil Trucks was also dominant in the 1944 Army Navy 7-game World Championship in HI.
Along with Navy pitching teammate Johnny Vander Meer, Trucks won 4 straight games to take the series in a runaway.

Here is the completed framed piece that features a Type I photo of Blackwell, Vandy and Frank Noodles Hahn in the dugout following Blackie's no-hitter in 1947. Noodles Hahn, also a Cincinnati Red, hurled the 1st no-hitter of the 20th century in 1901. He actually pitched Reds BP into his 70's. :cool:

The ticket is to Blackwell's next pitching appearance after the no-hitter where he almost pitched a second consecutive no-hitter, going 8 1/3 innings before losing the no-no. This is the closest that any pitcher ever came to duplicating Vandy's back-to-back no-hit ML record...

Nice.

Hankphenom 09-10-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Great looking displays, Scott.

ksfarmboy 09-10-2022 10:37 AM

I agree with Hank those look pretty great Scott!

mrreality68 09-10-2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLange (Post 2260648)
Thrilled with my latest HOF Magazine pickup - none other than Ty Cobb!

Thanks, Gary!

Very nice piece. congrats. I am jealous that has great eye appeal

Scott Garner 09-10-2022 05:43 PM

Thanks Dean, Hank and Clint!

LOUCARDFAN 09-10-2022 10:14 PM

Very nice pick ups everyone. I am thrilled that I just picked up the only known copy of this 1958 Hillerich & Bradsby advertisement.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ba13f9a7fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topnotchsy 09-11-2022 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shared this in the lineup card thread, but know many people don't look there, and I feel like this is significant enough to share here as well (and was just acquired).

Cal Ripken's 1st career homerun. Also his first 2B, 1st multihit game, first extra basehit, first 2 RBI's.

Topnotchsy 09-11-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

This is a stunning piece! I love what you do with the collection, turning the history into beautiful displays that combine aesthetics with historical items.

I just acquired a military program that Trucks is in and signed as part of my WWII collection.

One note on the 1944 Army-Navy World Series, it ran more than 7 games. I believe 10 or 11 in total.

Scott Garner 09-11-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 2262679)
This is a stunning piece! I love what you do with the collection, turning the history into beautiful displays that combine aesthetics with historical items.

I just acquired a military program that Trucks is in and signed as part of my WWII collection.

One note on the 1944 Army-Navy World Series, it ran more than 7 games. I believe 10 or 11 in total.

Thanks Jeff!
FYI, originally the Championship was to be a 7-game series and the outcome was decided in 4 games.
"The series is for the best of four out of seven, but all seven games will be played, even if the championship is decided early, to permit as many servicemen as possible to see the collection of stars in action."
The series was so popular amongst the servicemen that the number of overall games was extended to 10 as an exhibition.

Topnotchsy 09-12-2022 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2262714)
Thanks Jeff!
FYI, originally the Championship was to be a 7-game series and the outcome was decided in 4 games.
"The series is for the best of four out of seven, but all seven games will be played, even if the championship is decided early, to permit as many servicemen as possible to see the collection of stars in action."
The series was so popular amongst the servicemen that the number of overall games was extended to 10 as an exhibition.

Super interesting! The 1945 Navy All-Star Series was also a best of seven, and they also played all 7, even as the series was clinched in 6 games.