Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Thurman Munson Autograph (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252177)

Dalberov 03-06-2018 04:39 AM

Thurman Munson Autograph

1 Attachment(s)
I received this Thurman Munson autograph from one of my aunts in the early 1980's. I have no idea when she got it though. It could be anywhere from 1969-71. If I can get this PSA authenticated, I'm curious what a ballpark value it could fetch. Did I ruin it by printing the name under the signature when I was a careless kid? I'm interested in selling it but not in its current state. Thanks for looking! Also on this piece is Jack Aker and Jake Gibbs.

daves_resale_shop 03-06-2018 05:56 AM

Thurm

It's definitely good. I'd say value is in the 400ish range...

Not sure what he costs to authenticate these days, but I don't think you would get a solid roi on that investment

roarfrom34 03-06-2018 06:21 AM

Whether to get it certed is up to you, however I'd leave the decision to keep it in it's current state or not to the eventual buyer.

Dalberov 03-06-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 1754551)
It's definitely good. I'd say value is in the 400ish range...

Not sure what he costs to authenticate these days, but I don't think you would get a solid roi on that investment

Total to authenticate it is around $200 with all fees included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalberov 03-06-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarfrom34 (Post 1754558)
Whether to get it certed is up to you, however I'd leave the decision to keep it in it's current state or not to the eventual buyer.

May I ask why to keep it in its current state? Wouldn’t authenticating it increase the value exponentially and also validate the signature?

roarfrom34 03-06-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalberov (Post 1754585)
May I ask why to keep it in its current state? Wouldn’t authenticating it increase the value exponentially and also validate the signature?

IMO not $200 worth

Sophiedog 03-06-2018 07:50 AM

I would keep it exactly as it is and sell it with the story. Others will know its real as well. Getting it authenticated will just eat up your profit.
Nice vintage piece by the way

Dalberov 03-06-2018 08:45 AM

Thanks guys. Too late now. I just got back from the post office. I guess I'll see the market for a slabbed one now.

Sophiedog 03-06-2018 09:07 AM

Yes; Good Luck with the sale

Duluth Eskimo 03-06-2018 09:41 AM

Hopefully they don't disagree with you or you'll be SOL and have $200 less in your pocket. I never understand why people ask for advice then don't follow it. The "slabbed" market is highly overrated especially with two additional nothing signatures with it.

This is basically a cut and very few people will want to keep it slabbed with the two additional signatures on it and will not pay for it. Most people that want something slabbed want it as an individual signature. Now if one of the signatures pinned down the Munson to his rookie year or first few games then that might be different. This is not the case.

roarfrom34 03-06-2018 10:36 AM

I'm confident that it will pass as authentic, however I don't think the OP is going to get $200 more for it as opposed to simply selling it as it was (due to the other signatures and his own handwriting).

Wish you the best with it.

1treasuretrove 03-06-2018 12:17 PM

I’ve seen encapsulated Munson cuts go for $700-$1200, depending on the quality. I think that the authentication fee can be recovered but you might want to sit on this as a long-term BIN/BO listing instead of risking an auction.

I think it is fine as-is but I don’t disagree with the additional investment. The power of the plastic might not always be justified but it has been worth far more than a few hundred dollars in the past.

RichardSimon 03-06-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1754644)
Hopefully they don't disagree with you or you'll be SOL and have $200 less in your pocket. I never understand why people ask for advice then don't follow it. The "slabbed" market is highly overrated especially with two additional nothing signatures with it.

This is basically a cut and very few people will want to keep it slabbed with the two additional signatures on it and will not pay for it. Most people that want something slabbed want it as an individual signature. Now if one of the signatures pinned down the Munson to his rookie year or first few games then that might be different. This is not the case.

+1

It is a cut that cannot be easily matted.
I can sell Munson 3x5 easily, for a lot more than $400, but that multi-signed piece will be a tough one to sell.