Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you do when you spot a reprint on ebay? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219287)

nat 03-08-2016 01:11 PM

What do you do when you spot a reprint on ebay?

So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.

This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)

White Borders 03-08-2016 01:27 PM

It's a reprint. You can email the seller and give him the opportunity to correct the listing.

ullmandds 03-08-2016 01:34 PM

i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.

jcmtiger 03-08-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1513118)
i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.

+1

Joe

ALR-bishop 03-08-2016 02:00 PM

Time

Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both

Stonepony 03-08-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1513124)

That is funny!!

mechanicalman 03-08-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Why ruin a good trip to the throne? ;)

ullmandds 03-08-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

haha...I usually do!!!!

Zach Wheat 03-08-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nat (Post 1513106)
So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.

This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)

Buyer beware. There are so many reprints - it is tough to report them all.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 03-08-2016 03:05 PM

the easiest giveaway is the color of the jersey doesn't match the borders

irv 03-08-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1513118)

caveat emptor people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 1513131)
Buyer beware. There are so many reprints - it is tough to report them all.

I know it is everyone's choice, especially those in the know, and being fairly new to all this, I wish more collectors would take the time to report some of these.

My take, and take it for what it's worth from a newbie, is, the more this stuff goes unreported the worst it will get, and that will not only affect me, it ultimately will affect you guys and the hobby overall as well.

I am not saying to scour E-Bay or the likes 24/7, just saying, if you have the time and notice one or some, do us all a favor, including the hobby, and report these guys like Nat is trying to do.

My 2 cents anyways. :)

TheNightmanCometh 03-08-2016 05:35 PM

I've been known to contact sellers when I catch a reprint and the seller has it listed as original. I don't collect older cards like most of you do, but I have seen it off and on when I'm looking for Venezuelan cards or Desert Shield cards.

tab 03-08-2016 06:19 PM

I do NOTHING! I don't understand why there are new threads everyday about FAKES! I buy all my cards(t206) off of the internet and only use my phone. So the pictures are pretty small and still have no problem at all spotting a fake! I would think most collectors on here can do the same.:eek: I usually don't bother reading these posts about fakes either. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to ruffle any tail feathers.

Jason 03-08-2016 07:26 PM

I just move on past it. Luckily the cards I collect havent been reprinted to my knowledge except the JJ and Stengel card. I have never seen a T209 reprint.

Leon 03-09-2016 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1513130)
haha...I usually do!!!!

Remind me to never borrow one of your devices.

ullmandds 03-09-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1513385)
Remind me to never borrow one of your devices.

wise decision...but I'd guess most here take their devices to the bathroom with them!!!!!

Leon 03-09-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1513399)
wise decision...but I'd guess most here take their devices to the bathroom with them!!!!!

I don't@!!@ My laptop is on my lap long enough every day. I will not take it to the library :) with me.

Fred 03-09-2016 09:18 AM

There's not much you can do. You can contact the seller and tell them, but from what I heard only results in the seller telling the person to piss off or they don't receive a response.

I just wait to see if anybody posts it here and hope that it is not another Elvis sighting (a fake T206 Wagner).

53Browns 03-09-2016 09:31 AM

Caveat emptor.

bigtrain 03-09-2016 09:35 AM

10 people working full time could not out all the fakes on ebay. If you add all of the "it looks old to me but I am selling it as a reprint" items then it would take 50 people.

Sean 03-09-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1513415)
There's not much you can do. You can contact the seller and tell them, but from what I heard only results in the seller telling the person to piss off or they don't receive a response.

I just wait to see if anybody posts it here and hope that it is not another Elvis sighting (a fake T206 Wagner).

Usually the seller knows that it's a fake. That's why they use language like "per ebay rules I'm listing it as a reprint." If it was real the seller would have gotten it graded.

nat 03-09-2016 10:05 AM

If it's a scam reporting it won't do anything (they'll just repost it later), but if it's an honest mistake it saves somebody from wasting money (there were a few bids on this card). Yeah, buyer beware is good advice, but if it takes just a few seconds to save somebody from wasting money on something worthless...

FWW, I sent the guy a message and he wrote back saying thanks for the info, and took the card down. In this case I suspect it was an honest mistake, his seller history included lots of thrift store stuff and no cards.