Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OMG: Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=229085)

Peter_Spaeth 10-31-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1598313)
With everything these guys have to lose you'd think they put the hard drugs far far away. Drink and drink, use a driver the team would be thrilled to provide.

I know it's not a great thought, but now I look at all the videos of Fernandez going manic in the dugout differently. Was he going back to the bathroom and having a few toots on days he wasn't starting? I have no idea. But certainly makes you wonder.

RIP. None of this makes him a terrible person. Just someone who made some terrible choices.

Who knows. As a rich young single very popular athlete in a city with lots of rich young partyers, maybe he fell in with the wrong crowd. Or maybe it was just an unfortunate one-time thing.

1952boyntoncollector 10-31-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1598364)
Who knows. As a rich young single very popular athlete in a city with lots of rich young partyers, maybe he fell in with the wrong crowd. Or maybe it was just an unfortunate one-time thing.

Perhaps,but people like to argue things are a one time thing versus perhaps someone got away with doing certain behavior without incident until now..

so many reality cop shows are sting operations the perpetrator says 'its my first time' Like 95% of the time, it appears they are arresting people who said its their first time

one of the guys on the boat didnt have cocaine in his system as well so there seemed to be a choice involved..

Theres an issue of who was driving which really does impact a potential settlement. I believe you are only liable up to 600k per person in florida for just being the owner of a boat which was being driven by someone that caused an accident. If you are active driver though, the sky is the limit

Tripredacus 10-31-2016 10:37 AM

I noticed that Topps set all his cards to "Sold Out" in Bunt. That would mean that you can't get them in packs anymore.

Peter_Spaeth 10-31-2016 10:41 AM

I have no idea about Fernandez, but for some people coke can be a terrible drug, I had a very close friend in law school who really struggled with it and he was anything but a terrible person.

1952boyntoncollector 10-31-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1598372)
I have no idea about Fernandez, but for some people coke can be a terrible drug, I had a very close friend in law school who really struggled with it and he was anything but a terrible person.

That can be true and to boot he probably not responsible in some part for the deaths of two people.

Terrible people make terrible choices, unless you can point to someone we can all agree is a terrible person and see if that person did not make terrible choices.

I contend that all terrible people make terrible choices but not all people that make terrible choices are terrible people..

ALR-bishop 10-31-2016 12:33 PM

Terrible

I am sending this one to Jack Handey with a note saying "top this one"

KCRfan1 10-31-2016 12:38 PM

I remember hearing an interview years ago, from a former MLB player.

He said that starting pitchers were more susceptible to substance or alcohol abuse. They pitch once a week, twice at best. That leaves A LOT of downtime, something that most position players, since they will play everyday, do not have.

As mentioned previously, life is all about choices though.

Shoeless Moe 10-31-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1598399)
That can be true and to boot he probably not responsible in some part for the deaths of two people.

Terrible people make terrible choices, unless you can point to someone we can all agree is a terrible person and see if that person did not make terrible choices.

I contend that all terrible people make terrible choices but not all people that make terrible choices are terrible people..

and not all people make terrible posts, but some do!

glynparson 10-31-2016 01:06 PM

Everyone

and yes I mean EVERYONE has made a terrible choice at one point or another in their life. That does not mean any of us deserved to die for a moment of stupidity. I feel for all those that lost their lives these new revelations do not change my feelings that this was tragic.

1952boyntoncollector 10-31-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1598410)
I remember hearing an interview years ago, from a former MLB player.

He said that starting pitchers were more susceptible to substance or alcohol abuse. They pitch once a week, twice at best. That leaves A LOT of downtime, something that most position players, since they will play everyday, do not have.

As mentioned previously, life is all about choices though.

Thats a good point..i bet that probably applies to kickers and punters in football too as they have a lot of downtime and its not like there is much of a playbook to look at.