Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Russia 2018: Not far off now (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253559)

Arazi4442 04-08-2018 08:47 AM

Russia 2018: Not far off now

1 Attachment(s)
Happened to be in Zurich this week and stopped in at the FIFA World Football Museum. Getting excited for this years World Cup, even with the embarrassment of the US team in qualifying.

Ulidia 04-08-2018 08:58 AM

My primary interest in the 2018 World Cup Finals ended last November when Northern Ireland lost out to Switzerland in the play-offs. I’d travelled to all of the Northern Ireland away matches in the qualifiers and it was a great effort by the team but just didn’t have the fortune to make it to the Finals for the first time since Mexico 1986.

Still, looking forward to the Finals. I love attending football matches live but rarely watch on television - but the World Cup Finals are something of an exception here.

aljurgela 04-09-2018 05:03 PM

Despite it...

being in Russia... I am super excited for the World Cup... I think that it is the best tournament out there and cannot wait!

Any dark horses out there? What are the opinions of you board members?

58pinson 04-10-2018 03:39 PM

I can't wait! With my side (Southampton) in imminent danger of relegation in the Premier League it has been a troubled recent bit of football. The crushing disappointment of the US not qualifying out of a group in which that should NEVER happen kind of takes some excited anticipation out of this World Cup for me, but with several of the traditional European powerhouses also being dealt out maybe we can have an unexpected run from someone ala Iceland in the 2016 Euro Championships. One thing is certain for me - I will root against Brazil no matter who they play.

commishbob 04-10-2018 03:47 PM

Portugal will let me down again :(

esehombre 04-13-2018 01:05 PM

2018 World Cup

Brazil and Germany are the class of the tournament and i would be surprised at any early exit for either of them. With half of the Bayern Munich team comprising the National Team they will be a difficult draw for anyone. I would say Brazil has the most talent and they pack the punch of a heavyweight. Belgium has some of the most talent as well but as usual I think they will lay a big one in the round of 16. Cant wait for the tournament as well--I hope Messi has a good showing and if you can ever put World Cup Champion next to his name that will likely settle most debates revolving around the GOAT.

aljurgela 04-13-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esehombre (Post 1767060)
Brazil and Germany are the class of the tournament and i would be surprised at any early exit for either of them. With half of the Bayern Munich team comprising the National Team they will be a difficult draw for anyone. I would say Brazil has the most talent and they pack the punch of a heavyweight. Belgium has some of the most talent as well but as usual I think they will lay a big one in the round of 16. Cant wait for the tournament as well--I hope Messi has a good showing and if you can ever put World Cup Champion next to his name that will likely settle most debates revolving around the GOAT.

+1. But, when I saw him miss the penalty at the Copa America Final, I just realized that it is not really in the cards for Messi and Argentina. I wish I was wrong, but think that it would be a huge surprise if the actually win. The really only hope that I have at the moment is that Germany and Russia lose at this point. Would love to see a country that has never won take home the title. Mexico would be more favorite, but I would take anyone.

Arazi4442 04-17-2018 06:27 PM

With the US out, I guess I'm just hoping for some good storylines. Mexico would be fun if they could make a run. I find myself rooting for upsets once my favorites are out. I was the only person I know rooting for Patrick Reed in the Masters. 😀

Quote:

Originally Posted by aljurgela (Post 1767181)
+1. But, when I saw him miss the penalty at the Copa America Final, I just realized that it is not really in the cards for Messi and Argentina. I wish I was wrong, but think that it would be a huge surprise if the actually win. The really only hope that I have at the moment is that Germany and Russia lose at this point. Would love to see a country that has never won take home the title. Mexico would be more favorite, but I would take anyone.