Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Saw this on FB, thought I'd share (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256529)

bbcard1 06-20-2018 08:50 PM

Saw this on FB, thought I'd share

1 Attachment(s)
1952 Topps display at Woolworths.

avalanche2006 06-20-2018 09:41 PM

That's very cool to see. I just wish I had a time machine.

AGuinness 06-20-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1788421)
1952 Topps display at Woolworths.

Sweet. Anybody have one of those placards with the card images?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny630 06-21-2018 04:13 AM

Great Picture.

I still don't believe the story of Topps Dumping 52 High Numbers into the Hudson River. Seems to far fetched.

bobsbbcards 06-21-2018 05:47 AM

The thing I always think when I see that picture is this:

Moms (with kids in tow) wandered by that display day after day, and none of them thought "Wouldn't it be weird if 60+ years in the future some guys on a message board are looking at a picture of this and wishing they could build a time machine to come back here and buy them all! Now where are the Capri pants?"

And then I go shopping at Target and wander the aisles thinking "What item is just sitting here waiting for a group of guys from the future to build a time machine to come back and buy? It's here somewhere...."

Rookiemonster 06-21-2018 06:50 AM

Looks like we have are first pack searcher caught on tape! See them in the back of the display in the yellow shirt?

Also the uncut display sheet are pretty awesome.

ALR-bishop 06-21-2018 08:23 AM

If I had a time machine I bet I could find something better than 52 Topps baseball cards ....or Capri pants, to buy.

As for now Bob, go big for Fingerlings HUGS by WowWee

glynparson 06-21-2018 10:45 AM

Very cool photo

This image has been bouncing around for many years but is very cool nonetheless.

that T206 Guy 06-21-2018 10:51 AM

WOW

just

WOW

Thanks for Posting this Picture.

I am New to this Forum and Hope to See many More Old Pics like this.

There should be a Thread of Only Pics like This :)

GasHouseGang 06-21-2018 11:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by that T206 Guy (Post 1788545)
WOW

just

WOW

Thanks for Posting this Picture.

I am New to this Forum and Hope to See many More Old Pics like this.

There should be a Thread of Only Pics like This :)

Here are a few for you. The first is how you might have seen 1953 Topps baseball for sale in the store. The next shows a typical candy aisle, probably in the 1950's. Finally, the last picture shows Topps at a 1957 convention showing off their new products available that year.

spec 06-21-2018 12:42 PM

Todd,
Thanks for sharing the 1952 Woolworth photo. I've seen it many times over the years, but confess it always brings a smile to my face. What I always wonder, though, is whether they sold this sea of first series cards soon enough to stock subsequent series. Maybe this is why the high numbers are so scarce: most stores still had a backlog of early series when they came out. I didn't start collecting until later in the 50s (1957 to be exact) and I never saw a Woolworth's (or any other store) with more than a handful of boxes on display.

tulsaboy 06-21-2018 01:27 PM

Neat pics! The second (color) photo of a candy aisle, sure looks like a 1970's shot to me. Isn't that a set of Topps boxes from 1974(?) in the middle?

that T206 Guy 06-21-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1788557)
Here are a few for you. The first is how you might have seen 1953 Topps baseball for sale in the store. The next shows a typical candy aisle, probably in the 1950's. Finally, the last picture shows Topps at a 1957 convention showing off their new products available that year.

Awesome !!!!

Thanks for Posting Those Pics :)

that T206 Guy 06-21-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spec (Post 1788602)
Todd,
Thanks for sharing the 1952 Woolworth photo. I've seen it many times over the years, but confess it always brings a smile to my face. What I always wonder, though, is whether they sold this sea of first series cards soon enough to stock subsequent series. Maybe this is why the high numbers are so scarce: most stores still had a backlog of early series when they came out. I didn't start collecting until later in the 50s (1957 to be exact) and I never saw a Woolworth's (or any other store) with more than a handful of boxes on display.

Interesting Theory.

Anybody have any more info on this?

Volod 06-22-2018 01:07 AM

When I worked in my old man's variety store in the early 1960's, we had a six-foot-long gondola stocked with Topps cards from early spring to late summer. By about July each year, my father would laugh at the candy distributor rep if he tried to get an order placed for more baseball cards. I recall one fall, cleaning out the store room, I was told to just dump several boxes of unsold cards out back because it was too late to return them for credit. I have to say that I never imagined any time travelers showing up at the dumpster to intercept the trash hauling.

that T206 Guy 06-22-2018 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1788838)
When I worked in my old man's variety store in the early 1960's, we had a six-foot-long gondola stocked with Topps cards from early spring to late summer. By about July each year, my father would laugh at the candy distributor rep if he tried to get an order placed for more baseball cards. I recall one fall, cleaning out the store room, I was told to just dump several boxes of unsold cards out back because it was too late to return them for credit. I have to say that I never imagined any time travelers showing up at the dumpster to intercept the trash hauling.

Ouch :(

If We Only Knew.

steve B 06-22-2018 10:32 AM

The candy aisle is 1970's. Most likely 1973 as there's a Kung Fu poster on the wall with the same image from one of the Topps cards.

steve B 06-22-2018 10:38 AM

DOH, didn't get to the second page before posting. It looked like just the end of the thread.

How I spotted the poster but not the 74 boxes is beyond me.

I looked for the poster online, and couldn't find it. With the folds etc it looks like a Topps product, but if it is there should be some around.

GasHouseGang 06-22-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1788931)
DOH, didn't get to the second page before posting. It looked like just the end of the thread.

How I spotted the poster but not the 74 boxes is beyond me.

I looked for the poster online, and couldn't find it. With the folds etc it looks like a Topps product, but if it is there should be some around.

I didn't spot the 74's either. I was just going by the clothes they were wearing. Not very stylish for 1974!:D