Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bccg vs raw (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242394)

cardsnstuff 07-15-2017 09:11 AM

Bccg vs raw

So let's say I have 10,000+ 50's/60's/70's stars rookies high #'s, etc in mid grade {vg-ex/mt} {psa 3-6} Bccg will grade them for $2/per with 10k + order size. do you think I am better off getting bccg grade or sell raw. I am not talking about stuff that I would obviously send to PSA {like mantle, mays, clemente, aaron, etc} One upside to Bccg is obviously it would eliminate any question about authenticity and altered.

Zach Wheat 07-15-2017 09:27 AM

I disregard BCCG grades...they are meaningless to me.

Z

mickey7mantle7 07-15-2017 10:08 AM

Buy the card. Anything else is uncivilized.

OlderTheBetter 07-15-2017 10:12 AM

If your major goal is preservation then it has some value.

If your goal is to sell then I'd keep them raw. BCCG is not taken seriously in the marketplace.

One advantage of raw is their mystery. People will buy them hoping to get that EX or EX-MT grade. When they buy a BCCG 6 or 7 they already know the bad news.

KCRfan1 07-15-2017 11:42 AM

I don't believe BCCG grading eliminates any question of authenticity or the card being altered. I tend to by pass anything graded by them.

DBesse27 07-15-2017 11:44 AM

BCCG is a joke.

pokerplyr80 07-15-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1681191)
I don't believe BCCG grading eliminates any question of authenticity or the card being altered. I tend to by pass anything graded by them.

I agree. Do not waste your money on bccg grading. Especially if you plan to sell the cards.

EldoEsq 07-15-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlderTheBetter (Post 1681154)
If your major goal is preservation then it has some value.

If your goal is to sell then I'd keep them raw. BCCG is not taken seriously in the marketplace.

One advantage of raw is their mystery. People will buy them hoping to get that EX or EX-MT grade. When they buy a BCCG 6 or 7 they already know the bad news.

I think you could preserve your cards adequately for WAY less than $20,000

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

steve B 07-16-2017 06:11 PM

I'll put them in toploaders and penny sleeves and weed out any fakes for 10,000. I'll even cover the supplies.

Turnaround time variable.
Payment taken in trade or partial trade by arrangement.

Steve B

OlderTheBetter 07-16-2017 07:29 PM

When I said BCCG fpr preservation I meant the just the valuable ones. Nobody's gonna put 10k cards in BCCG.

What I would do for myself would be penny sleeves in top-loader for anything worth $50 or more and the rest in cardsavers.

For sale I'd PSA the good ones and sell the rest raw.

cardsnstuff 07-16-2017 07:35 PM

I was thinking for resale value; I guess BCCG is a bad idea.
However:
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1681608)
I'll put them in toploaders and penny sleeves and weed out any fakes for 10,000. I'll even cover the supplies.

Turnaround time variable.
Payment taken in trade or partial trade by arrangement.

Steve B

You got me thinking about something, I'll shoot you a PM in morning.

Peter_Spaeth 07-16-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsnstuff (Post 1681129)
So let's say I have 10,000+ 50's/60's/70's stars rookies high #'s, etc in mid grade {vg-ex/mt} {psa 3-6} Bccg will grade them for $2/per with 10k + order size. do you think I am better off getting bccg grade or sell raw. I am not talking about stuff that I would obviously send to PSA {like mantle, mays, clemente, aaron, etc} One upside to Bccg is obviously it would eliminate any question about authenticity and altered.

It would? NOT.

Leon 07-17-2017 08:00 AM

BCCG is good for buyers (if they know what to look for) not sellers.

irv 07-17-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1681731)
BCCG is good for buyers (if they know what to look for) not sellers.

I disagree. I have seen many sellers who claim it was "graded a "6" or "7" or higher and mention nothing about how BCCG grades.

I said it back a while ago, that sellers will love this as there are still many novice collectors out there and new collectors coming to the hobby everyday.

"Those two Beckett services are BVG and BGS only. A third Beckett service, BCCG, attempts to capitalize on the well-known numerical grading scale collectors are familiar with (1 through 10) as a way to make it appear to novice collectors that the card is in nicer condition than it actually is."

Leon 07-17-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681735)
I disagree. I have seen many sellers who claim it was "graded a "6" or "7" or higher and mention nothing about how BCCG grades.

I said it back a while ago, that sellers will love this as there are still many novice collectors out there and new collectors coming to the hobby everyday.

"Those two Beckett services are BVG and BGS only. A third Beckett service, BCCG, attempts to capitalize on the well-known numerical grading scale collectors are familiar with (1 through 10) as a way to make it appear to novice collectors that the card is in nicer condition than it actually is."

Exactly. And as a buyer with knowledge you can easily win the argument. Of course if you leave out the knowledge part of my answer yours is correct. Nothing like taking something out of context. :)

irv 07-17-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1681738)
Exactly. And as a buyer with knowledge you can easily win the argument. Of course if you leave out the knowledge part of my answer yours is correct. Nothing like taking something out of context. :)

Although I didn't acknowledge your (If they know what to look for) I still found that confusing, as most, that I have seen anyways, are overpriced to begin with based on the BCCG grade.

I suppose some are out there, (I try not to even give these BCCG graded cards a second look), that are priced fair or on the cheap side, from honest sellers, but from what I have noticed, the sellers are trying to pass off a BCCG graded 8,9, or 10 as if that would be the same grade PSA or SGC would also grade the card at.

frankbmd 07-17-2017 09:31 AM

Want a slam dunk grade bump?:D

Cross from PSA to BCCG:eek:

Turn around time should not be a problem.;)

irv 07-17-2017 09:58 AM

There is even an E-Bay warning about BCCG graded cards. It's too bad this isn't listed/shown with all BCCG cards that come up for auction.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-BCCG-gra...5139486/g.html

I use to somewhat speak positively/strong for Beckett graded cards but when they "Knowingly" started this service, they quickly fell out of favor with me. :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgaZGrf2gg

In my opinion, not that they likely care, they should do away with this service while they are still afloat.

irv 07-17-2017 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1681762)
Want a slam dunk grade bump?:D

Cross from PSA to BCCG:eek:

Turn around time should not be a problem.;)

What do you think, Frank, a 8, 9 or 10? :rolleyes:

bnorth 07-17-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681771)
There is even an E-Bay warning about BCCG graded cards. It's too bad this isn't listed/shown with all BCCG cards that come up for auction.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-BCCG-gra...5139486/g.html

I use to somewhat speak positively/strong for Beckett graded cards but when they "Knowingly" started this service, they quickly fell out of favor with me. :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgaZGrf2gg

In my opinion, not that they likely care, they should do away with this service while they are still afloat.

I don't think Beckett is going anywhere as they are king with the new shiny cards by a mile.

I have never understood the hate for BCCG cards because as long as you can read you should be OK. The grade is clearly printed on the label in big letters.

bnorth 07-17-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681773)

I believe that would be correctly labeled as a BCCG 7 Very Good.:)

irv 07-17-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1681776)
I don't think Beckett is going anywhere as they are king with the new shiny cards by a mile.

I have never understood the hate for BCCG cards because as long as you can read you should be OK. The grade is clearly printed on the label in big letters.

I have learned a lot since I joined this forum, and I still, admittedly, have a long ways to go yet, but if I have learned something, then that is the fact there is a lot of dishonesty and deception within this hobby.

With that being said, it would be nice, sort of, if I were just talking about dishonest sellers, not about a grading company or TPG, whichever you prefer, to be one of those dishonest deceptive people!

I am not sure what you are referring to, Ben? I see the label as a 10, Mint or Better. There is nothing there that I see that would suggest this card, or any other, is not graded like the rest, or remotely close to what people are use to or is the norm in hobby.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TONY-GWYNN-1...D/122396909010

It's funny what this guy decided to add in his post just to make it that much more alluring or appealing. A newbie, rookie, neophyte, or whatever you want to call them, would/will likely eat this stuff up. I know when I first re-joined the hobby and this site after a 30+ yr absence, I was one of them. :o
Graded BCCG-10 (Mint or Better) by Beckett Grading Services "The World's Most Trusted Source in Collecting"

Peter_Spaeth 07-17-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1681776)

Not sure of that these days. I just searched on ebay for 2011 Topps Update Trout PSA and 2011 Topps Update Trout BGS -- a pretty representative newer card -- and there are more PSA.

Zach Wheat 07-17-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681735)

Well said Irv. Here is some comments straight off the Beckett boards:

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1483902.html

Z

bnorth 07-17-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681787)
I have learned a lot since I joined this forum, and I still, admittedly, have a long ways to go yet, but if I have learned something, then that is the fact there is a lot of dishonesty and deception within this hobby.

With that being said, it would be nice, sort of, if I were just talking about dishonest sellers, not about a grading company or TPG, whichever you prefer, to be one of those dishonest deceptive people!

I am not sure what you are referring to, Ben? I see the label as a 10, Mint or Better. There is nothing there that I see that would suggest this card, or any other, is not graded like the rest, or remotely close to what people are use to or is the norm in hobby.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TONY-GWYNN-1...D/122396909010

It's funny what this guy decided to add in his post just to make it that much more alluring or appealing. A newbie, rookie, neophyte, or whatever you want to call them, would/will likely eat this stuff up. I know when I first re-joined the hobby after and this site after a 30+ yr absence, I was one of them. :o
Graded BCCG-10 (Mint or Better) by Beckett Grading Services "The World's Most Trusted Source in Collecting"

We just see the same thing differently Dale.:) Hope you are having a great day!

To me that card is labeled correctly as a BCCG 10 Mint or Better. It would be the same as a PSA 9 Mint and I have seen several cards in that exact condition labeled as such. Many people do see Beckett as the worlds most trusted source in collecting, I personally do not.

I see many things in this hobby as much worse than a label that people can't figure out how to read correctly. Yes I complain about those too not that is does any good.:D

botn 07-17-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1681792)
Not sure of that these days. I just searched on ebay for 2011 Topps Update Trout PSA and 2011 Topps Update Trout BGS -- a pretty representative newer card -- and there are more PSA.

Sadly PSA continues to dominate the market and it is not because they do it better. Beckett and SGC continue to do things that encourage collectors and dealers to make PSA their grader of choice.

frankbmd 07-17-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1681773)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1681777)
I believe that would be correctly labeled as a BCCG 7 Very Good.:)

Ben,

Irv says it's undergraded.

Irv,

Just include that opinion with you submission and I see Kuzava in a BCCG 9 holder

;)

JollyElm 07-17-2017 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this beauty today…

Attachment 280967

irv 07-17-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1681907)
Ben,

Irv says it's undergraded.

Irv,

Just include that opinion with you submission and I see Kuzava in a BCCG 9 holder

;)

After seeing Jolly's sweet looking, under graded, Gretzky above get a 10.5, my undergraded Kuzava should be at least an 11, maybe even an 11.5 now! :D
I think such a deserving card should now be called Better than Gem Mint, (BTGM) or a Platinum Gem Mint, (PGM). I mean, with the Super High Intensity Training that Beckett must have taken in order to have this new BCCG standard, I am not sure why they didn't take it to a much higher level? :confused: