Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New high for a molitor/trammell psa 10 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165980)

pepis 03-25-2013 06:02 PM

New high for a molitor/trammell psa 10

I wonder how hi it will get? is it still collecting or a rich man obsession.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130868361634...torefresh=true

ALR-bishop 03-25-2013 06:08 PM

Collecting

It can be either or both. It is up to the individual collector

steve B 03-25-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1108192)
It can be either or both. It is up to the individual collector

So true! If you want to get one that's reasonably nice it's possible for under $20 and often under $10.

But if you simply must have one that someone else thinks is nearly perfect then yes it looks like it'll cost more than 5800. (An hour and a half left too)

Steve B

RedlegsFan 03-25-2013 10:19 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Most collectors and dealers "might" go a couple hundred for a late 70s psa 10. Ruth goudeys hardly demand that much even. But molitor-trammel? Good players, yes. I loved watching them when I was growing up, but they weren't "that" great. Looks like that ebay auction may have had some obvious dirty deeds goin on. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Harliduck 03-25-2013 11:10 PM

Wow, I don't get it. Good for the person who wants it that bad. I agree with above, and think of the damage one could do with $6k worth to spend on cards.

Rickyy 03-26-2013 12:03 AM

I guess its the chase of the PSA Registry... or simply to say I own a "10"... to each his own.... I'd be curious to see if it will hold its value down the line.....

Ricky Y

the 'stache 03-26-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegsFan (Post 1108308)
But molitor-trammel? Good players, yes. I loved watching them when I was growing up, but they weren't "that" great.

As somebody that grew up a Brewers fan, one having seen Paul Molitor play in person many times, I have to respectfully disagree. Molitor was one of the best players of his generation.

Between 1978 and 1987, his prime years, Paul missed nearly 500 games due to injuries. Think about where his career numbers would have ended up had he not missed them. Hell, he got 2,116 hits after age 30, hitting .316, scoring 1,106 runs.

He's a member of MLB's All-Time team for a reason. He's one of four players in the history of baseball with a .300 average, 3,000 hits and 500 stolen bases, and the only player from the modern era to do it (the others, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner and Eddie Collins were all retired by 1930). Molitor played 21 seasons, and averaged 200 hits per 162 games played. That's better than Pete Rose and Ted Williams, and equal to Rod Carew and Roberto Clemente.

the 'stache 03-26-2013 04:40 AM

As for the card, I don't think that's obscene. If they can afford to get that card, and it makes them happy, more power to them. I know if I were rich, I'd lead a pretty modest lifestyle. But baseball cards would be my weakness.

I agree they're probably doing so for registry reasons. Or, maybe the buyer is a Molitor super collector, and he wants that one crown jewel for his collection. Hell, if I could afford a 1975 Topps Robin Yount PSA 10, I'd click "buy it now" so fast I might ruin my keyboard. :D

KCRfan1 03-26-2013 05:13 AM

I think most of us on this site cannot understand the amount of money spent on this card. The card is rather modern and I wonder how many other PSA 10's are out there, but not submitted to PSA yet. But, I also cannot understand the amount of money being spent on certain Mike Trout or Bryce Harper cards either.

KCRfan1 03-26-2013 05:37 AM

For any who are wondering, there are 13 PSA 10's of this card floating around. Not that scarce.

the 'stache 03-26-2013 04:12 PM

Even within PSA 10's, there will be ones with greater eye appeal. It comes down to the buyer. If I were a hardcore Molitor collector, and saw that card, I'd have gone after it. Of course, it would have priced itself out of my range pretty quickly...

brob28 03-26-2013 08:09 PM

The current underbidder has 15 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Am I wrong or does that seem like a lot? I'm always wary of bidding against someone with that type of track record.

pepis 03-26-2013 09:46 PM

Maybe the person that won it is a Tiger and Alan Trammell fun!

HRBAKER 03-26-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1108780)
The current underbidder has 15 bid retractions in the last 6 months. Am I wrong or does that seem like a lot? I'm always wary of bidding against someone with that type of track record.

That is certainly a lot to me. I have been an ebayer since Jan. of 1999 and I have exactly "0" bid retractions.

the 'stache 03-27-2013 05:53 AM

Same, I've never retracted a bid. Not a one.

steve B 03-27-2013 05:55 AM

I have one bid retraction since 98. Bid on a projector then realized the shipping was insanely high.

Steve B

Zach Wheat 03-27-2013 06:50 AM

Tram monitor Rookie

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegsFan (Post 1108308)
That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Most collectors and dealers "might" go a couple hundred for a late 70s psa 10. Ruth goudeys hardly demand that much even. But molitor-trammel? Good players, yes. I loved watching them when I was growing up, but they weren't "that" great. Looks like that ebay auction may have had some obvious dirty deeds goin on. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Part of the reason that the price for a PSA 10 went so high was because of the printers thumb print smudge that ruined this card. I am sure thus accounts for at least some of the rarity for a 10

ALR-bishop 03-27-2013 07:34 AM

Retractions

Several years ago, before I began sniping all my ebay auctions, I had put in a fairly high max bid on an item and later got an out bid notice. Then I got a high bidder notice. When I looked, someone ( one bidder) had bid in increments until they passed me and then withdrew their last bid, leaving me high at my max. So I retracted the bid and became a permanent sniper :)

JollyElm 03-27-2013 03:10 PM

Recently, I was bidding on an expensive Mantle, when the seller suddenly added to the listing something to the effect of, "The card measures correctly to me, but I can't guarantee it has not been trimmed." I immediately retracted my bid.

the 'stache 03-27-2013 09:35 PM

I pretty much do the sniping thing myself now. It's just not worth obligating yourself to an auction (potentially freezing large amounts of cash if it's a high dollar item) when you might not even get the card you're bidding on. Example: I found a really nice 2011 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper base auto on the Bay night before last, auction format. A beautiful, gradable card. Perfectly centered with a clean surface, and sharp edges and corners. I knew how high the auction could reach, as that's one of the hottest cards in the hobby right now, and cards graded by Beckett with a 9.5 overall rating and 10 auto command a premium. Well, I sent the owner a preemptive offer to buy the card. They smartly declined. With nearly 5 full days left, the auction is up to $252.49, and it will eventually pass my $350 offer.

Luckily, I found a seller in Canada with a Beckett graded one, 9.5/10 with all 9.5 subs, and I was able to get it at a great price (and not much higher than my bid to the other seller). If I had put a bid in of $350, or $375 on the first auction, those funds would have basically been frozen until the auction's end, and I couldn't have bought the graded version (unless I wanted potentially both a raw and a graded card). And I didn't feel like blowing $800 on two of the same cards. :p

the 'stache 03-27-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1108925)
Several years ago, before I began sniping all my ebay auctions, I had put in a fairly high max bid on an item and later got an out bid notice. Then I got a high bidder notice. When I looked, someone ( one bidder) had bid in increments until they passed me and then withdrew their last bid, leaving me high at my max. So I retracted the bid and became a permanent sniper :)

I've seen that happen a few times in auctions I've been watching, Al, and that's one of the things I just hate about Ebay.

Based on some of the incredible pieces in your collection, I can only imagine how big of an issue that could be with you.

dodgerfanjohn 03-28-2013 03:53 PM

I quibbled with some of the people who were excited about this auction on the psa boards. The way it was explained to me is that there's whales(which we all know there are) and then there's people investing, those interested in completing a registry, etc.

My takeaway is that there's a subset of very deep pocketed collectors that vie for show pieces and them there's another set of collectors investing by attempting to corner markets and usin non expendable funds to do so(ie treating it as a true investment).

I'm still not quite sure what to make of things, but investing in miniscule markets seems to be risky business.

HRBAKER 03-28-2013 04:28 PM

Another problem with paying an insane price for this card is that there can only be more of them, not less. With the result you can be sure there are some being worked on right now.

steve B 03-28-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 1108909)
Part of the reason that the price for a PSA 10 went so high was because of the printers thumb print smudge that ruined this card. I am sure thus accounts for at least some of the rarity for a 10

Where is that? I'm just not seeing any big problems like that.

Steve B

esquiresports 03-29-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1109659)
Where is that? I'm just not seeing any big problems like that.

Steve B

It's at the bottom of the card near the middle. Often called a smudge. It appears in probably 90-95% of the Molitors I have seen. It goes from around the "K" in ROOKIE to the "O" in SHORTSTOPS. Here is an example.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WiHNZ2XjmZ...T++IMG_NEW.jpg

brob28 03-29-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1109644)
Another problem with paying an insane price for this card is that there can only be more of them, not less. With the result you can be sure there are some being worked on right now.

So true!

steve B 03-29-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquiresports (Post 1110155)
It's at the bottom of the card near the middle. Often called a smudge. It appears in probably 90-95% of the Molitors I have seen. It goes from around the "K" in ROOKIE to the "O" in SHORTSTOPS. Here is an example.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WiHNZ2XjmZ...T++IMG_NEW.jpg

Ah, that one. I think I misread your post to mean that the 10 had the smudge. Rereading it I don't know how I read it that way.

It's interesting that it's on so many of them. I'll have to check mine and see if it's there.

Steve B

freakhappy 03-29-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1108349)
As somebody that grew up a Brewers fan, one having seen Paul Molitor play in person many times, I have to respectfully disagree. Molitor was one of the best players of his generation.

Between 1978 and 1987, his prime years, Paul missed nearly 500 games due to injuries. Think about where his career numbers would have ended up had he not missed them. Hell, he got 2,116 hits after age 30, hitting .316, scoring 1,106 runs.

He's a member of MLB's All-Time team for a reason. He's one of four players in the history of baseball with a .300 average, 3,000 hits and 500 stolen bases, and the only player from the modern era to do it (the others, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner and Eddie Collins were all retired by 1930). Molitor played 21 seasons, and averaged 200 hits per 162 games played. That's better than Pete Rose and Ted Williams, and equal to Rod Carew and Roberto Clemente.

Wow! I always loved Molitor and knowing that he made the 3k hit club makes him very special in my book, but I never knew some of the stats that you posted...I have a whole new respect for him now. I had no idea he stole 500 bags during his career, I just thought he was a very solid hitter. Thanks for posting this info!

the 'stache 03-30-2013 01:23 AM

Ya, a lot of people don't know Molly is 9th all time in hits with 3,319. Imagine if he'd played those 500 games he missed due to injury. That's 3 full seasons in his prime. To age 30, he averaged 193 hits per 162 games played. That's 579 more hits, which would give him 3,898. Now, he's knocking on 4,000 hits.

There's no guarantee he would have played as long if he'd not been hurt early, but I watched him in his first few years in the majors, and even when he was playing, a lot of the time he was dinged up. When he was healthy, he was one of the most dynamic players in the game.

Molitor also had the 7th longest hitting streak in MLB history at 39 games (5th longest since 1900). He was a 7 time All Star (Brewer players didn't get voted in to the All Star game a lot back then. Hell, his Brewer teammate Robin Yount, also a Hall of Famer, was only voted to the All Star game three times, if you can believe that. He wasn't even voted to the game in 1989, when he was the American League MVP!

Yount and Molitor had 4,736 hits as teammates. I don't know where that ranks them all-time as a duo, but they're up there.