Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cobb / Wagner mini decal bats (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249489)

minibatsman 12-30-2017 09:21 PM

Cobb / Wagner mini decal bats

2 Attachment(s)
I have been asked questions about some decal bats and if I could date them.
I referred them to this site for open discussion.
I date these decals below on bats to 1914/15 if the bat is H&S. H&B 1916/19?.

there are two decals in question Cobb and Wagner I would say they predate these decals . but the decals in question. I have seen on full size bats that I believe date the decal by the center emblem to 1911/16. that 1914/16 center emblem conflict's with my dating them prior to 1914. though I believe they are prior to these decals.

I started this thread so they could follow up with the bats and there questions.

MGHPro 12-31-2017 08:59 AM

There are versions of Cobb and Wagner that predate the ones depicted .

minibatsman 01-07-2018 12:27 PM

earliar decals?

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGHPro (Post 1734251)
There are versions of Cobb and Wagner that predate the ones depicted .

the first large Cobb no idea?. 2nd Cobb I know is earlier I believe came with black and red Wagner no photo of it?. the bottom 3 we have all seen the Cobb and Gowdy . Who is the man on the bottom left?. the Cobb and Gowdy have P&F decal maker on the bottom . nothing on the black one.

I don't own half these bats I just download photos to my computer for reference. I can see the fake cobb paper transfer. but I assume it came from someone who actually has or seen one?. it resembles a decal I save it.

MGHPro 01-07-2018 01:10 PM

The top Cobb is a reproduction. Unidentified decal is lajoie .

BeanTown 01-07-2018 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not an expert here, but is this real? Two, what year range is this mini bat? Thanks

MGHPro 01-08-2018 05:19 AM

Yup the mini is real ! Without the center brand, not real easy to date so 1915-20's

minibatsman 01-08-2018 10:35 AM

Cobb

I would agree 1914-19. there is two things about this bat . the color of the decal is bright resembling the early P&F sheet could be early?. there are darker version of this decal I don't know why but this decal usually has more green?. I have seen both on other bats natural color or just age I don't know. the bat itself is thin below the decal. I have seen similar bats that I guess it was difficult to stamp this thin tapered area. leaving most with a week center emblem.
if it is a 12 inch bat I would call it H&S. with no evidence to back this up.
14 inch H&B . I have mentioned in the past. there is controversy in my opinion. why isn't there a center brand stamp. I would reference the three 12 inch Wagner bats. exact same bat. one has the reverse decal center brand on the other side of the decal. the decal that goes over the center brand. and the one with no center brand, it is my opinion they wanted every bat to have a center brand. your Cobb the Wagners. the decals are almost always found in near perfect condition.
I would argue your bat was never sold to the public?. I prefer a center brand . but you would have a difficult time finding five of them just like it.

I believe they had problems with these bats. I assume they made mini bats while waiting on the decals.there are variations of every bat. I believe early in the mini bat proses they tried using left over material from the 48 inch Billets of full size bats to make these bats?.
they ordered the decals and they didn't fit the bats they made.

the only bat that is basically the same every time you see one is the Jackson. that I believe was only available from late 1914-16?.

JollyElm 01-08-2018 04:55 PM

What does that "B" on his hat stand for??

minibatsman 01-10-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollyelm (Post 1736687)
what does that "b" on his hat stand for??

bad a##