Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Frank House Yellow Tiger-confirmed variant now? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=261869)

irv 11-08-2018 07:16 AM

Frank House Yellow Tiger-confirmed variant now?

Just read this on the Huggins and Scott auction and was wondering if this was correct?

Master Set Collectors! From the landmark 1952 Topps Baseball edition arrives one of its curious oddities, the offered #146 Frank House (Yellow Tiger) variation. Graded EX-MT 6 by PSA. The growling Tiger logo on this recently confirmed variant is absent of the orange-and-red color details found on the common example. While recognized by most 1952 Topps collectors, PSA does not distinguish between the "Yellow Tiger" and its colorful cousin. As such, reliable population data is not available. What is certain is that this gum card presents quite nicely for its overall grade.
https://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/...l?itemid=31937

ALR-bishop 11-08-2018 07:46 AM

I think the person in charge of the hobby must have confirmed it Dale :)

I think most master type collectors of the 52 set consider it a variation, and some view it as involving more than one variation. Bob Lemke once wrote an SCD article suggesting it was a variation as opposed to a print defect, but I am not sure if it is listed as a variation in the most current Standard Catalog or Beckett. PSA usually follows what those catalogs list as variations eventually.

I have one all yellow and one yellow but with a red tongue

I would appreciate it if you could get someone to officially recognize my 52 Campos with the partially missing front border as a variation, like it's black star cousin.

Republicaninmass 11-08-2018 08:16 AM

Hi Irv, not sure of your question.

That's not even a proper description of the card advertised. Too much red on the tongue to say its absent of red.

There are two yellow versions, one where the red is absent, and one where it has been gradually reduced. There were 2 different placements in the sheet.

One of which was printed without red. This is visible on ones with have NO green throat and quite scarce.

The other ones which have actual red missing on the throat, as well as absent from the tiger logo. They nclude versions of red being gradually stoned off of the press to mimic the first one printed without red.

At some point, early on, but sometime after the gray backs where produced, Topps reset the press and let them run with all corrected versions of the House Tiger.

Hi Al, SGC has been labeling the Campos border variation, or should I say they did for BMW sports cards. They deemed the PSA 4 I sent to them not authentic. After a heated debate, mentioning they were willing to do it for BMW and not for me, I asked them to send me the card back. I did send them a lower grade one last week and waiting to hear their response.

ALR-bishop 11-08-2018 11:36 AM

Ted---they might have rejected it because of your reputation for trolling ebay for pricing errors :)

I asked BMW, who highly value their 2 ;), if they had tried to get PSA to recognize it. They suggested I do that.

It is listed as a variation in Beckett, but not in the most recent SCD Catalog I have ( 2014)

ALBB 11-08-2018 12:28 PM

tiger

Yellow Tiger, Red tongue Tiger ..its bordering on silly

ALR-bishop 11-08-2018 12:54 PM

It's not borderline. Take a swing through the never ending variations thread. We are a silly lot, clearly

Republicaninmass 11-08-2018 02:39 PM

Much like the school of silly walks, some variations simply aren't silly enough

mckinneyj 11-08-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1825634)
Much like the school of silly walks, some variations simply aren't silly enough

"Yes, but I think that with Government backing I could make it very silly."

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/silywalk.php

Pat R 11-08-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBB (Post 1825611)
Yellow Tiger, Red tongue Tiger ..its bordering on silly

I would bet that a lot of non collectors find it silly that we would spend
money on any baseball card.

MikeGarcia 11-08-2018 04:44 PM

Number Two

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneyj (Post 1825650)
"Yes, but I think that with Government backing I could make it very silly."

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/silywalk.php

..Second-best sketch everrrr--- overshadowed only by "Oh , I'm a lumberjack and I'm okayyyy.....".......not that there's anything wron........

JollyElm 11-08-2018 05:56 PM

If this is turning into a Monty Python appreciation thread, I would be remiss if I didn't throw "The Olympic Hide and Seek Final" into the mix. The underlying subtlety of the skit is just ridiculously funny. And when it suddenly dawns on the Paraguayan where he'll find the Brit? A person can be hiding anywhere in the entire world, but he knows exactly where he is???? My gawd!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

irv 11-08-2018 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1825568)
I think the person in charge of the hobby must have confirmed it Dale :)

I think most master type collectors of the 52 set consider it a variation, and some view it as involving more than one variation. Bob Lemke once wrote an SCD article suggesting it was a variation as opposed to a print defect, but I am not sure if it is listed as a variation in the most current Standard Catalog or Beckett. PSA usually follows what those catalogs list as variations eventually.

I have one all yellow and one yellow but with a red tongue

I would appreciate it if you could get someone to officially recognize my 52 Campos with the partially missing front border as a variation, like it's black star cousin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1825571)
Hi Irv, not sure of your question.

That's not even a proper description of the card advertised. Too much red on the tongue to say its absent of red.

There are two yellow versions, one where the red is absent, and one where it has been gradually reduced. There were 2 different placements in the sheet.

One of which was printed without red. This is visible on ones with have NO green throat and quite scarce.

The other ones which have actual red missing on the throat, as well as absent from the tiger logo. They include versions of red being gradually stoned off of the press to mimic the first one printed without red.

At some point, early on, but sometime after the gray backs where produced, Topps reset the press and let them run with all corrected versions of the House Tiger.

Hi Al, SGC has been labeling the Campos border variation, or should I say they did for BMW sports cards. They deemed the PSA 4 I sent to them not authentic. After a heated debate, mentioning they were willing to do it for BMW and not for me, I asked them to send me the card back. I did send them a lower grade one last week and waiting to hear their response.

I knew that card, just recently, wasn't a "recognized" variation so that is why the language in that description struck me.
I thought (was hoping) that that had changed based on that auction description but I guess someone decided, like Al mentioned, to get a little over descriptive with it.

Ted, if I am understanding correctly what you're saying about the 2 different variations, are you saying this is one of the more scarce ones?

Republicaninmass 11-09-2018 04:37 AM

Hi Irv, yes that is the one that was originally printed without red on the tiger. The others have the absence of green on the throat in varying degrees. The gray back however can ONLY be found with either no red, or full red, nothing in between.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

irv 11-09-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1825725)
Hi Irv, yes that is the one that was originally printed without red on the tiger. The others have the absence of green on the throat in varying degrees. The gray back however can ONLY be found with either no red, or full red, nothing in between.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Ted. When I picked up my Yellow Tiger House, I wasn't aware of the different variations, (or had forgot) so it's nice to know that I got the scarcer version.

The gray back/Yellow House would be a nice card to own! Is there not a member or 2 on here who own one of those?

ALBB 11-09-2018 12:49 PM

52 T House

Yellow Tiger

Red Tongue

Green Throat

Sounds like a horror movie monster

ALR-bishop 11-10-2018 07:17 AM

What non silly horror free stuff do you collect Albert ?

ALBB 11-11-2018 03:55 AM

tiger

- :)

Republicaninmass 11-11-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBB (Post 1825823)
Yellow Tiger

Red Tongue

Green Throat

Sounds like a horror movie monster

It certainly is, a post-war one

Republicaninmass 11-15-2018 06:50 PM

Someone thinks it is valuable