Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Game Over: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260774)

clydepepper 10-08-2018 06:56 PM

Game Over:

Until the last out, I did not realize how invested I had become in the 'Baby Braves'.

For various reasons, I have no interest in any of the teams remaining.

This is an extremely odd moment for me...this has never happened.

I've been immersed in, even obsessed with, Baseball and the Baseball Card Industry for years, but I find myself at a possible fork in the road : I cannot afford the few cards that are still on my shopping (i.e. wish) list and I'm driven crazy by bases-on-balls!

I have dozens of DVDs documenting the game, but I've watched them all many times, so that's not an option or substitute.

It seems my sole recourse is to start reading my vast Baseball library - only about 10% of which I have read.

I hope I have the patience to continue reading until, hopefully, the spark comes back.

If that doesn't happen, I want to say right now how much I have enjoyed this forum...I appreciate the good group Leon has 'assembled'.

Sorry to bother everyone about this, but I don't do face-book, nor do I twit.

Thanks,
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper aka 'clydepepper'

pokerplyr80 10-09-2018 05:52 PM

I'd give it some time before selling off the collection. You don't have to be interested in modern cards or even the modern game to appreciate the past and vintage cards.

Peter_Spaeth 10-09-2018 06:27 PM

Good lord, man, don't take the loss so hard. It's heresy not to watch the rest of the playoffs and WS. You don't have to be interested in the teams, just in the sport.

conor912 10-09-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1818558)
Good lord, man, don't take the loss so hard. It's heresy not to watch the rest of the playoffs and WS. You don't have to be interested in the teams, just in the sport.

Agreed. I watch every inning of every WS regardless of who's playing. It's fun to learn about players I've never heard of, and by the end of the series you're familiar with every player on both rosters.

AGuinness 10-10-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1818314)
Until the last out, I did not realize how invested I had become in the 'Baby Braves'.

For various reasons, I have no interest in any of the teams remaining.

This is an extremely odd moment for me...this has never happened.

I've been immersed in, even obsessed with, Baseball and the Baseball Card Industry for years, but I find myself at a possible fork in the road : I cannot afford the few cards that are still on my shopping (i.e. wish) list and I'm driven crazy by bases-on-balls!

I have dozens of DVDs documenting the game, but I've watched them all many times, so that's not an option or substitute.

It seems my sole recourse is to start reading my vast Baseball library - only about 10% of which I have read.

I hope I have the patience to continue reading until, hopefully, the spark comes back.

If that doesn't happen, I want to say right now how much I have enjoyed this forum...I appreciate the good group Leon has 'assembled'.

Sorry to bother everyone about this, but I don't do face-book, nor do I twit.

Thanks,
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper aka 'clydepepper'

There's also something to be said about being a fair weather fan. Pay attention to only what you want to, and on those days your team doesn't have "it," go for a walk or play a game of cribbage.
A few years back, I started pulling back on teams or even sports and finding other ways to use my time and it's been a change for the better. It's too easy to get caught up in all sorts of extraneous stuff in sports, but focusing in on just what you like (player, team, sport, whatever) has can limit all that junk.
Same with collecting, in many ways. Focus on what you really like and enjoy and the heck with the rest of the junk.

clydepepper 10-12-2018 04:35 PM

Hank Thomas's great recent thread pulled me back - and I really appreciate all the other comments. I'm dealing with the 'other stuff'.