Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2019 national chicago. Cash or no cash, thats the question... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=261303)

johnnyboggs 10-23-2018 07:56 PM

2019 national chicago. Cash or no cash, thats the question...

So I live just a few hours from the convention center in chicago. Never been to the national due to a big golf outing the same weekend. Next year im going for sure. My trouble is deciding if people bring cash, or do a paypal transaction while there. I understand bringing 1-2k along, but walking around downtown chicago with say 15-20k just doesnt seem like the best idea. So if anyone has any suggestions on typical protocol, that would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintage mesiah 10-23-2018 08:43 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/4ee30...6cdd/tenor.gif

Michael B 10-23-2018 10:15 PM

The National is in Rosemont, not Chicago. It is right behind O'Hare Airport. If you were staying in that area you would be 6-8 miles from downtown Chicago. It seems like a relatively safe area. There are a number of hotels within walking distance and others with shuttles that will drop off and pick up at the front door. If you are discreet it is very easy to carry large amounts of cash, especially is you split it up between several pockets and the bottom of a backpack or briefbag that does not leave your person. I was making a sale to someone at the food area in Cleveland this year. He went to pay me and pulled out packs of $100's. You could not even tell he had them on his person.

jfkheat 10-24-2018 01:43 AM

As Michael said, cash in that area shouldn't be a problem. Not all dealers are willing to take Paypal and the ATMs in the convention center ran out of money by Saturday at last year's show
James

johnnyboggs 10-24-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1821827)
The National is in Rosemont, not Chicago. It is right behind O'Hare Airport. If you were staying in that area you would be 6-8 miles from downtown Chicago. It seems like a relatively safe area. There are a number of hotels within walking distance and others with shuttles that will drop off and pick up at the front door. If you are discreet it is very easy to carry large amounts of cash, especially is you split it up between several pockets and the bottom of a backpack or briefbag that does not leave your person. I was making a sale to someone at the food area in Cleveland this year. He went to pay me and pulled out packs of $100's. You could not even tell he had them on his person.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and yes its a decent area and assuming most people around the convention center are doing the same thing makes it an easier decision

Michael B 10-25-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyboggs (Post 1821967)
Thanks for the advice everyone, and yes its a decent area and assuming most people around the convention center are doing the same thing makes it an easier decision

Most people in the area will be there for that. In 2011 or 2013 the outlet mall down the street had its grand opening at the same time which increased traffic on the main drag, but it is not really a pedestrian area.

buymycards 10-29-2018 10:59 AM

Cash

I would be vigilant if you bring your own car and park in the huge parking ramp. Some areas are a little dark and isolated. The same things applies to the elevators and stairwells coming to and from the parking area.

As far as dealers accepting other methods of payment, it seems outdated to me that they won't accept PayPal, etc. I started accepting PayPal, Debit and Credit cards, along with Venmo and Google Pay at card shows. My sales have increased because of this. There is a paper trail, so I would guess that the reason for dealers accepting only cash has to do with tax avoidance.

steve B 10-29-2018 02:09 PM

I'm old fashioned so I like cash. But I usually don't have all that much to take to a show.

A friend of mine that does craft shows has Square, a setup for cards that works on the phone or tablet. Hardly any of his stuff is expensive. usually around $30. He says that almost all of his sales were done through square.

When we started accepting cards at the bicycle shop back around 2001 or 2002, our sales doubled.

The way technology is today, I can't see someone not taking cards or electronic payments in some way

pokerplyr80 10-30-2018 09:53 AM

I prefer not to carry large amounts of cash if it's not necessary. My plan at the last national if I found a dealer not willing to accept PayPal or a check from me despite hobby friends who would vouch for me would have been to uber to the bank and back to get cash.

Rose4HOF 10-31-2018 09:09 PM

Honestly, the cost involved in setting up at the national weeds out many of the dinosaurs. This isnt your weekend $20 card show. And while cash is king, lets get real about walking around with 20k, 50K or more. Now that I think about it, maybe I should offer cash for paypal ff.....of course there would be a small traansaction fee lol.

Promethius88 11-09-2018 02:35 PM

I plan to start burying wadded up bills in coffee cans outside the convention center in spring after the thaw. That way I don't have to carry around a lot of cash, my wife doesn't know how much I have and I avoid atm fees! Just have to remember where I buried them.