Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with info on Minor Leage baseballs 40s/50s (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192327)

nebboy 08-13-2014 08:27 AM

Help with info on Minor Leage baseballs 40s/50s

1 Attachment(s)
A great friend of mine dropped off nice group of vintage baseball equipment. Among it was 4 new in box (only 1 opened) Wilson, American Association, A1010, Bruce Dudley balls.

And a official League, Southern League, No. 5, (with a large CB co logo).

I can find some info on the Am Assoc balls but nothing on the Southern leage ball.
Is there a good website or book that I can date this ball or find other examples of balls from that time frame.

Any help with either type balls or related item would be great.

Thanks guys ahead of time. John

nebboy 08-13-2014 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Southern League Ball

witster 08-13-2014 10:45 AM

I don't know the CB Co, but I have that style of Southern League, along with another manufacturer, Phoenix with multi colored stitches. witster

slidekellyslide 08-13-2014 04:47 PM

1950s era...the Wilson AA balls sealed are worth $50-$80 each...pretty common ball, there must have been a stash of those things out there. The Southern League ball appears to be the same era. Is there a league president stamp on it?

Nashvol 08-13-2014 05:31 PM

If the American Association ball has "Bruce Dudley" as president (that's what it looks like to me), he served as head of the AA from 1949-1953. Interested if the Southern League ball has a president designation on it, too.

nebboy 08-13-2014 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the interest and answers.

The Southern league No.5 cushioned cork center & CB Co. has no other markings on ball (ie. president signature) that is not show in photo. I wasn't finding much info on a "One Official League Baseball" brand and weather or not it was used much in Minor Leagues in the early 50s Sara. That large CB Co. Logo isn't something I have found on another ball as yet. Official League is such a common name for a Google search I never was able to find any good info.

Again any further help welcomed - Thanks John

nebboy 08-13-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1309831)
1950s era...the Wilson AA balls sealed are worth $50-$80 each...pretty common ball, there must have been a stash of those things out there.

The value of the NOS balls are spot on from what I could come up with, so thanks Dan.

My first thought when I first saw them that they were early Omaha Dodgers related. But president Dudley years with the AA is just off by a year.
I spoke to my freind that gave me the these balls, gloves ect. Said it all came from a trunk he had with everything was dated 1951. He just didn't remember anything about the balls and were he got them.

murphusa 08-13-2014 09:11 PM

The cb co. Balls are from a local sporting goods store or hardware store. Generic in nature made for the store.