Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dumb question? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237746)

SMPEP 04-02-2017 09:12 AM

Dumb question?

So, I'm looking at purchasing a PSA card (name and set withheld because deal isn't done yet - willing to reveal when completed) that is a PSA 6. I go to the pop report for this card and ... PSA doesn't list a 6. (Unless this is a VERY good fake it is a legitimate PSA holder).

The PSA pop report lists 3 PSA 5s and one PSA 8 Q. This PSA 6 is miscut, so it seems POSSIBLE that someone re-holder the PSA 8Q into a PSA 6 holder.

Or I suppose someone couold have resubmitted a 5 and gotten a higher grade.

But doesn't PSA updated their pop report when they do this???

Seems outrageous to me that they would not update the report and provide accurate information. How do I know if I'm buying the PSA 8 Q or one of the PSA 5s? Isn't that part of the service we pay you for PSA?

Cheers,
Patrick

dplath 04-02-2017 09:55 AM

The PSA app for android and iOS has a barcode scanning feature. Scan the barcode and see what the certification verification shows.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-02-2017 09:57 AM

there is definitely a lag between receiving a grade and it posting on the pop report. I have had people tell me a card I am selling is a counterfeit because it's not in the report, yet I had graded it myself and received it maybe the week before. It also led to an issue when I had what I thought was a 1 of 1 PSA 10 1968 Common, I sold it as such and THEN the pop report updated, my buyer wasn't thrilled.

drcy 04-02-2017 10:00 AM

I think it's long been the case that it takes a while for PSA to enter all the info. I remember a couple of years ago they had a big backlog.

Pat R 04-02-2017 10:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Lajoie Lenox that's being talked about in another thread isn't listed
in the pop reports but it does show up in a cert check.
Attachment 268080
Attachment 268081
Attachment 268082

SMPEP 04-02-2017 10:22 AM

Thanks to all! I didn't realize PSA was so slow on this. If it were me, I'd grade the card, update my report, and mail. Would take 20 seconds and you wouldn't get a backlog. Oh well.

Cheers,
Patrick

clydepepper 04-02-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMPEP (Post 1646838)
So, I'm looking at purchasing a PSA card (name and set withheld because deal isn't done yet - willing to reveal when completed) that is a PSA 6. I go to the pop report for this card and ... PSA doesn't list a 6. (Unless this is a VERY good fake it is a legitimate PSA holder).

The PSA pop report lists 3 PSA 5s and one PSA 8 Q. This PSA 6 is miscut, so it seems POSSIBLE that someone re-holder the PSA 8Q into a PSA 6 holder.

Or I suppose someone couold have resubmitted a 5 and gotten a higher grade.

But doesn't PSA updated their pop report when they do this???

Seems outrageous to me that they would not update the report and provide accurate information. How do I know if I'm buying the PSA 8 Q or one of the PSA 5s? Isn't that part of the service we pay you for PSA?

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick-

I purchased the Allegheny Mathewson graded PSA-5 after the previous owner got greedy with it as a PSA-6 and resubmitted it. Now, even thought the Allegheny cards are all 1-of-1, PSA pop report shows both the PSA-5 & PSA-6.

So, they are displaying how many grades they have made, which is very different from an actual population report. IMO

xplainer 04-02-2017 11:40 AM

Excellent point Raymond.
That is how I take it too.

swarmee 04-02-2017 02:09 PM

If you send it back in holder, they are supposed to update the cert number info and remove the prior grade. If you crack it and send it back in, how are they supposed to know it was the same one they graded earlier? The submitter who cracked it out has to mail back in the flip, and then they'll remove that one from the pop report.

Before buying it OP, I would check the Cert Number on their main page; if it doesn't match the database, I would call PSA. Ask them if the card is legit. Don't just email them, because that will take months to get an answer. But no, I wouldn't take possession of a card not in PSA's pop reports.

JollyElm 04-02-2017 04:00 PM

Based on what people have said, I think the first question that needs to be asked is, is the card in a 'new' PSA holder? If so, then it stands to reason that a delay in the posting of the card to the pop report is quite feasible. If it's in an 'old' holder, then I would be very suspicious, because it probably should've been included long ago.