Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   July 2012 Pick-ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153294)

thekingofclout 07-02-2012 03:21 AM

July 2012 Pick-ups

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a little bit of everything to kick this month off.

First off is this sweet Roger Maris signed magazine picture inscribed "To Jim, Best Always, Roger Maris"

Attachment 67771

Last night I won this Iconic vintage original photograph of the Hindenburg disaster in 1937.

Attachment 67772

And more of an upbeat acquisition comes this really cool pair of extremely scarce Beatles items. First up is the only known examples (according to world renown Beatles expert Perry Cox) of these 1966 "The Beatles YEAH YEAH Candy" wrappers. These Wrappers were designed to seal the FREE Hand-Puppet that was packaged along with a box of the Beatles Candy!

The Wrappers AND the very tough Ringo Puppet are mine, but at this time I'm without a box. :( The good news is the boxes do surface several times a year. :)

Attachment 67773Attachment 67774Attachment 67775

GrayGhost 07-02-2012 06:47 AM

Now, that is a potpourri of pretty cool stuff.

Scott Garner 07-02-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1009751)
Now, that is a potpourri of pretty cool stuff.

+1

WillowGrove 07-03-2012 07:21 PM

My Latest....

1 Attachment(s)
After waiting a bit for its arrival I'm happy to add this Broadleaf Box to my eclectic collection.

mcgwirecom 07-03-2012 08:12 PM

Oh the humanity!

Nashvol 07-04-2012 07:07 PM

1950 Memphis Chicks Jersey

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up over the weekend, and proud to have it - now to find that elusive Nashville Vols jersey that I know is out there somewhere...

repsher 07-05-2012 01:59 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I'm usually just here looking at other people's pick-ups, mostly because I can't afford the really good stuff. Just recently I stumbled upon serveral Paul Waner type 1 photos on ebay. One of them being a Conlon that was also used for the 1933 Uncle Jacks candy baseball card. The best part is they were $9.99 a piece! Well within my price range. It goes to show that great deals can still be had.

Ryan

39special 07-05-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvol (Post 1010686)
Picked this up over the weekend, and proud to have it - now to find that elusive Nashville Vols jersey that I know is out there somewhere...

Love that jersey!!!

horzverti 07-05-2012 09:16 PM

Killer Waner pickups Ryan! The Conlon is just the cherry on top. Wow!

thekingofclout 07-05-2012 09:21 PM

I concur with the others. Skip's jersey and Ryan's Waner collection, are both first rate! Nice pick-ups Guys!

Lordstan 07-05-2012 10:20 PM

Great Waner pics Ryan.
Now you have to try and find where that Conlon Waner was used in the newspaper. The black oval was probably the backdrop for a smaller picture insert or some other graphic. Given the batting average above his head, I would guess the face of another player in the batting race was inserted there. Who knows, perhaps even a headshot of his brother.

Congrats,
Mark

bcbgcbrcb 07-06-2012 05:19 AM

Great Waner photos!

Nashvol 07-06-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvol (Post 1010686)

Just learned that the Chicks jersey may have been worn by Alex Grammas, who is still alive and well near Birmingham...

jpop43 07-06-2012 06:47 AM

Vintage Baseball Glove

3 Attachment(s)
Just added this circa teens/1920 era two-tone, Reach full web baseball glove. Large, soft, and supple, with a pristine interior, and mfg. patch...couldn't be happier.

Don't know how many on this forum are more or less vintage equipment collectors, but, if you are, please feel free to reach out should you have any items you're thinking about selling/trading. You can check out our "inventory" (although the vast majority of the collection are "keepers") on our website...
www.dugouttreasures.com

The entirety of the collection is now also encompassed in our new book...
http://www.dugouttreasures.com/book.cfm

Scott Garner 07-06-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvol (Post 1011068)
Just learned that the Chicks jersey may have been worn by Alex Grammas, who is still alive and well near Birmingham...

Will you attempt to get the jersey signed since Grammas is sill alive?
Just curious...

Leon 07-06-2012 09:35 AM

Lots of great pick ups guys!!

Ryan- that is an awesome photo for a more awesome price, on the Conlon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by repsher (Post 1010882)
Hi guys. I'm usually just here looking at other people's pick-ups, mostly because I can't afford the really good stuff. Just recently I stumbled upon serveral Paul Waner type 1 photos on ebay. One of them being a Conlon that was also used for the 1933 Uncle Jacks candy baseball card. The best part is they were $9.99 a piece! Well within my price range. It goes to show that great deals can still be had.

Ryan

Nashvol 07-06-2012 01:10 PM

Chicks jersey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1011071)
Will you attempt to get the jersey signed since Grammas is sill alive?
Just curious...

What does everyone think: attempt to have Grammas sign it, or leave it alone?

Scott Garner 07-06-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvol (Post 1011191)

If that is in fact his uniform shirt, I would vote for getting it signed in the neck. If you left it as is, it's still a great shirt. I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer, FWIW...;)

Bugsy 07-06-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashvol (Post 1011191)

I personally would leave it. It would be one thing had it been signed back in 1950, so the signature would also be vintage, but I think adding a signature over 60 years after it was worn would be defacing a great jersey. It wasn't worn with a signature on it and it looks awesome just the way it is.

That said, if you do decide to have it signed, you could always have him sign the inside of the jersey, below the collar, so it doesn't ruin the front of the jersey.

Maybe the best way to decide is to look at other signed vintage flannel. Do you like how it looks?

WillowGrove 07-06-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1011208)
I personally would leave it. It would be one thing had it been signed back in 1950, so the signature would also be vintage, but I think adding a signature over 60 years after it was worn would be defacing a great jersey. It wasn't worn with a signature on it and it looks awesome just the way it is.

That said, if you do decide to have it signed, you could always have him sign the inside of the jersey, below the collar, so it doesn't ruin the front of the jersey.

Maybe the best way to decide is to look at other signed vintage flannel. Do you like how it looks?

+1 to all points. It's a beauty.

71buc 07-06-2012 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These are my most recent original photo (Type 1?) pick-ups: Huggins 1928, Gray 1944, 1953 Reese, Mantle 1959, Kluszewski 1948. I don’t normally show the backs but thought that they could serve as a stamping reference for other photo collectors.

WillowGrove 07-06-2012 09:18 PM

big Klu

that shot looks like his '51 Bowman

sayhey24 07-07-2012 06:12 AM

Love the Chicks flannel, but please don't have Grammas sign it. As a bat collector, I can stomach a signature on a bat -- maybe because it's a hard surface and can in some cases be removed if so desired.
But I believe a signature on a jersey defaces it.

How about this -- have Grammas sign a photo of the jersey, or better yet, get a photo of him holding up the jersey, and have him sign that.

Just my two cents.

Greg

Jeffredsfan 07-07-2012 09:21 AM

Fantastic Big Klu picture. You guys keep posting these great pictures, I'm going to have to branch off into this part of the hobby - and my wife is not going to like it! ;)

Scott Garner 07-07-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1011429)
Love the Chicks flannel, but please don't have Grammas sign it. As a bat collector, I can stomach a signature on a bat -- maybe because it's a hard surface and can in some cases be removed if so desired.
But I believe a signature on a jersey defaces it.

How about this -- have Grammas sign a photo of the jersey, or better yet, get a photo of him holding up the jersey, and have him sign that.

Just my two cents.

Greg

I really like Greg's idea about having a photo of Grammas holding up the jersey and having him sign the photo. Sounds like a definite winner to me!

Jlighter 07-07-2012 02:38 PM

Three New Autos

3 Attachment(s)
Three New Cuts

Jlighter 07-07-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1011534)
I really like Greg's idea about having a photo of Grammas holding up the jersey and having him sign the photo. Sounds like a definite winner to me!

+1

Vintage Yankee 07-07-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugsy (Post 1011208)

Chris brings up my preference. I'll have a player sign on the placket inside the back of the neck.

With the double-layering, there's no danger that the signature would bleed through to be seen on the back of the jersey
If a visible sig on the outside is bothersome for you (it is for me), then it won't show when displayed on a mannequin
If you like to see the sig, you could still see it when hung

However, in this case you'd have to do it off to one side because of the MacGregor tag. This might not be a great choice, but it's still an option if you prefer to have the signature on the item itself.

ksfarmboy 07-07-2012 04:40 PM

I'd like to add that the pick-ups so far are outstanding. That Chicks jersey is fantastic.

kdixon 07-07-2012 05:11 PM

Old Glove

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this tiny Glove.

Lordstan 07-07-2012 06:44 PM

New stuff

1935 and 1937 Reach Guides. Both are Gehrig Covers.
These are the hardbound editions. I'm not sure how rare these are, but the condition of both is spectacular. Usually, I don't spend a lot for these types of guides, as they usually are available readily, but the exceptional condition really drew me to them.

Front
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...935ReachFr.jpg

Inside cover
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eachinside.jpg

Cover page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eachcover1.jpg

NY Yanks page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...935ReachNY.jpg

Top edge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...5Reachedge.jpg

Back
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...935Reachbk.jpg

Front
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...937ReachFr.jpg

inside page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eachinside.jpg

Cover
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Reachcover.jpg

Yankees page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...37ReachNY1.jpg

Second Yankees page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...37ReachNY2.jpg

Top edge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7Reachedge.jpg

Back
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...937Reachbk.jpg

Also had a big autograph pick up that I posted in the auto section.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153533

horzverti 07-07-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowGrove (Post 1011341)
that shot looks like his '51 Bowman

It is the shot from Big Ted's 1951 Bowman card...also his 150 Bowman card.

Nice pick ups 71Buc!

repsher 07-07-2012 09:27 PM

Nice photos 71buc, especially like the Huggins and Klu.

Like the Reach guides Mark. I didn't realize they came hard bound.

repsher 07-08-2012 01:03 PM

18 Attachment(s)
Just got my lateset package. It's got what is now my Bill Terry collection, Joe Dimaggio touching homeplate after hitting the only HR in the 1939 All-Star game, Lefty Grove, Pee Wee Reese, Travis Jackson and Cecil Travis. I've tried to keep my collection to mostly only Hall of Famers but I feel if Cecil Travis hadn't given up nearly 4 years to the military, during WWII, he would have had a good shot at the Hall.

I've now added some of the best photos to my collection in the past 2 weeks. I've also got another package on the way, with what will be called my Dizzy Dean collection. I'm going broke but if there is one thing I've learned about this hobby is you have to drink when the well is full.

Ryan

71buc 07-08-2012 02:02 PM

Ryan,
Nice Photos, you beat me to the Reese and the Dimaggio. It's good to know that this is a shared illness.;)

perezfan 07-08-2012 02:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Murray Olderman was one of the truly great sports cartoonists from the 1950s - 1990s. His work was always top-tier, in what is quickly/sadly becoming a lost art (due largely to the demise of the newspaper/print industry).

Anyway, there is a nice gathering of Olderman's work currently available on ebay, for a song. Below are a few of the examples I recently picked up... and plenty of others are still available.

Lordstan 07-08-2012 03:26 PM

Ryan,
Great group of pictures. I think Terry is very under appreciated. Sweet Reese as well.
I didn't know the Reach guides came hardbound either. That is partly why I got them.

Mark,
That artwork is very nice. Unfortunately there is no Gehrig.

Best,
Mark

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jcfowler6 07-08-2012 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like these so I got one.

scmavl 07-08-2012 08:35 PM

Not vintage at all, but I won an online MiLB auction for two of my local Class A minor league team's game used hats from July 4th. I got them today and after the game, I had the players (one is hitting .336 and the other .306 and fielding like a madman) sign them under the bill. I also asked that they mark them as game used but I hate it when it says "GU 2012" on the top of the bill. So I asked they mark and sign it on the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...uristshats.jpg

71buc 07-08-2012 09:44 PM

52 Topps image?

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought this 1952 picture of Hoyt Wilhelm. I thought it looked very similar to the photo for his 1952 Topps card. Does anyone know how much artistic license that Topps took with images they used in production? I am curious how much of the variation between the card and photo are the result of painting/editing. The Topps hat and jersey are obviously painted/edited. I highlighted the similiarities between the images. Am I hallucinating? Nonetheless I am very pleased to add the photo to my collection.

repsher 07-09-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1011931)
Ryan,
Nice Photos, you beat me to the Reese and the Dimaggio. It's good to know that this is a shared illness.;)

Thanks. Have you tried to remove the inventory/certificate sticker on any of these photos? You can see I attempted to with the Cecil Travis and it didn't go too well. They put the sticker in the worst place sometimes.

repsher 07-09-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1012059)
I just bought this 1952 picture of Hoyt Wilhelm. I thought it looked very similar to the photo for his 1952 Topps card. Does anyone know how much artistic license that Topps took with images they used in production? I am curious how much of the variation between the card and photo are the result of painting/editing. The Topps hat and jersey are obviously painted/edited. I highlighted the similiarities between the images. Am I hallucinating? Nonetheless I am very pleased to add the photo to my collection.

That looks like it to me. I'm not sure why Topps would pick a photo that has his eyes closed other than there probably weren't too many photos of Wilhelm around at the time.

perezfan 07-09-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repsher (Post 1012131)
That looks like it to me. I'm not sure why Topps would pick a photo that has his eyes closed other than there probably weren't too many photos of Wilhelm around at the time.

I bet it's the same (or at least from the same photo shoot...)

Either...

A) Topps took some "artistic license" and just changed the portrait slightly.

or

B) There was a series of photos snapped during this "Photo Op". Perhaps a subsequent photo was taken just before or after yours (or perhaps by a different photographer standing right beside your guy).

The angle of the photo is just slightly different from the card, which makes this a possibility. Note how a good portion of the head and cap are visible behind his ear, on the card. In addition, his left cheek is not visible on the card, as it is on the photo.... indicating the card image is taken from more of a side-view.

I have 2 photos of Hank Aaron getting his 3,000th hit. Both are virtually identical, except for the slightest angle difference. One is a Malcolm Emmons, and the other is from a different photographer. But it requires the utmost scrutiny to tell the difference.

perezfan 07-09-2012 01:20 PM

The treatment of the collar is also interesting. The card shows a big gap between the collar and neck, with his undershirt clearly visible. Also, Topps forgot to include the neck piping that wraps around the front-left.

This could all fall into the "artistic license" category (assuming the image was indeed taken from the photo provided).

ATP 07-09-2012 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this early 1980's Mickey Mantle signed and inscribed photo in a lot of vintage sports items. Signed in person in New York City in 1983. There's bound to be a Steve out there who will want it for their collection :)

39special 07-09-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP (Post 1012308)
Just picked up this early 1980's Mickey Mantle signed and inscribed photo in a lot of vintage sports items. Signed in person in New York City in 1983. There's bound to be a Steve out there who will want it for their collection :)

Thats a nice Mantle.....and my name is Steve

ATP 07-09-2012 06:20 PM

Steve - am open to offers on it, feel free to contact me if interested. If not, will probably move it over to the b/S/T later in the week...for the rest of the Steve's of the world to view :). Will post some of my other pickups from this month when I have a chance to get some scans.
Jeffreyrpotter@gmail.com

39special 07-09-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP (Post 1012393)
Steve - am open to offers on it, feel free to contact me if interested. If not, will probably move it over to the b/S/T later in the week...for the rest of the Steve's of the world to view :). Will post some of my other pickups from this month when I have a chance to get some scans.
Jeffreyrpotter@gmail.com

PM sent

71buc 07-09-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repsher (Post 1012127)
Thanks. Have you tried to remove the inventory/certificate sticker on any of these photos? You can see I attempted to with the Cecil Travis and it didn't go too well. They put the sticker in the worst place sometimes.

I leave those stickers on the photo as I consider it to be the modern equivalent of stamping.

khkco4bls 07-10-2012 03:08 PM

spalding baseball

2 Attachment(s)
just picked this great spalding ball. 1910-20