Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   $7000 for this, what am I missing? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148669)

Shoeless Moe 03-10-2012 03:28 PM

$7000 for this, what am I missing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

barrysloate 03-10-2012 03:37 PM

It had 83 bids all pretty much between two people. What's that all about?

But it's a really nice piece and look at the condition. I can see its appeal.

Scott Garner 03-10-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 974421)
It had 83 bids all pretty much between two people. What's that all about?

But it's a really nice piece and look at the condition. I can see its appeal.

Barry,
I agree with you completely on this being a very nice vintage piece. I can't figure out why people bid over and over again like these two bidders. I don't get it...:rolleyes:

Wymers Auction 03-10-2012 04:28 PM

I really like it very much. I would have to wonder just how rare that really is. How many salesman sample scoreboards are there? I would say it would be very tough to find another.

ctownboy 03-10-2012 06:00 PM

IMO, the key words are "salesman's sample". This would appeal to people who collect baseball items and people who collect salesman or advertising items.

Also, if you wanted an old scoreboard for display you would have to have a HUGE area to display it. With a salesman sample, it doesn't take up a lot of space. Plus, if you wanted to create (or recreate) an old-time stadium on a small scale, this scoreboard would help as far as authenticity goes.

David

Wymers Auction 03-11-2012 12:59 AM

Scott as an auctioneer I quite like it when people bid over and over again. It keeps me employed!!

Scott Garner 03-11-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 974536)
Scott as an auctioneer I quite like it when people bid over and over again. It keeps me employed!!

James,

I definately understand from your perspective as an auctioneer, but what you are describing is a live bid auction which has a very different dynamic, IMHO. I have bid in quite a lot of live auctions in my adult life, both as a wine buyer (high-end restaurant industry for 11 years) and as a collector. In this setting, emotions and intellect run amok.

As a bidder in an eBay auction though, this constant bidding strategy only costs you a lot more money. A much sounder strategy is to pick a top bid amount and place a bid at the very end.

This accomplishes at least 3 important personal goals:

1) It somewhat disciplines you from doing something stupid, but gives you the opportunity to bid within your comfort zone and removes some of the last minute desperation

2) It allows you to possibly win the item at a lower acquisition price that your ceiling bid

3) If you lose the auction, you walk away knowing that you gave it your best shot. For me personally, this leaves me with less remorse. In my mind, I justify that it was just not meant to be and to turn the page.

As on expert in live auctions, what is your take on what I just said?

Thanks!

DinoPro 03-11-2012 08:19 AM

$7100

mjkm90 03-11-2012 09:43 AM

I cannot value this piece at 1/7th the hammer price. I love general memorabilia as much as the next collector, but this makes zero sense.

khkco4bls 03-11-2012 10:47 AM

damn, I would have loved to own that piece,but not for 7 grand. I could see 1500 atleast for this piece. Its got to be one of a kind and very rare..

ruth-gehrig 03-12-2012 07:27 PM

+1 to everything already said! I was watching it just to see what it would sell for. Quite impressed/stunned:eek:

Wymers Auction 03-22-2012 07:05 PM

Scott I would agree with everything that you have said.

Scott Garner 03-23-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 977685)
Scott I would agree with everything that you have said.

Thanks James!

Wymers Auction 03-23-2012 04:32 AM

Scott I really am not an auction expert I just pretend to be. Just trying not to let the word get out to much!!!