Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your current football card collecting projects (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244762)

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-10-2017 08:18 AM

Your current football card collecting projects

So, what is everyone working on these days? These projects don't have to be sets, just anything football related. Let's do it this way:

1. What was the last project you completed?

2. What is your current project?

3. What might you start after you complete your current project? Because it is never too soon to start looking ahead!

For me:

1. 1966 Topps
2. 1965 Philadelphia
3. Maybe 1966 Philadelphia or a Fleer set...I wish 1952 Bowman Large

Let's hear from you guys!! What a terrific hobby!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jefferyepayne 09-10-2017 04:38 PM

Last project completed:

Recently acquired the last card I needed to complete the 1949 Topps Felt Back master set! Working on an article on them for Gridiron Greats Magazine.

Current project:

Too many to count. Some sets I've recently picked up cards for include: 1961 Golden Tulips Chargers, 1950 Admiral Rams, Fairmont Dairy Chiefs, 1955 Topps All-American (upgrading to PSA 8), 1955 Topps All-American autographed cards.

Future projects:

Anything I don't have is possibly a future project ;-)

jeff

LuckyLarry 09-10-2017 07:30 PM

I picked up a 1952 Bowman Small #48 G. Halas RC which completed my set. The card was an eBay pickup still enroute. This completes my Topps and Bowman sets ‘48-‘81.

Current projects include finding affordable cards to complete my ‘63 Fleer set I need only seven more:) will finish off my Fleer sets.
I pick up ’48 and ‘49 Leaf cards when I see them and I have a wantlist, but I'm not really chasing them full throttle yet.
Also working on the ‘61 Nu Card set I like these because they are cheap:)
I look for the Topps inserts sets when I can find them cheap and I'm also working on the ‘62 Topps football bucks and 1968 Topps Stand-Ups too.

My newest project I picked up seven ‘48-‘52 exhibit cards and I've fallen hard for these and they are definitely on my radar.

When will this madness end?

Larry

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-10-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLarry (Post 1699816)
I picked up a 1952 Bowman Small #48 G. Halas RC which completed my set. The card was an eBay pickup still enroute. This completes my Topps and Bowman sets ‘48-‘81.

Current projects include finding affordable cards to complete my ‘63 Fleer set I need only seven more:) will finish off my Fleer sets.
I pick up ’48 and ‘49 Leaf cards when I see them and I have a wantlist, but I'm not really chasing them full throttle yet.
I look for the Topps inserts sets when I can find them cheap and I'm also working on the ‘62 Topps football bucks and 1968 Topps Stand-Ups too.

My newest project I picked up seven ‘48-‘52 exhibit cards and I've fallen hard for these and they are definitely on my radar.

Larry

Larry, like I said in another thread, you are an inspiration! What you are doing is awesome. I am sure that once you go full throttle on those other projects that you will knock them out, too. Keep it going, and please keep us updated. I would love to see that Halas when it arrives.

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-10-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Larry

Larry, I also would ask (it is a BIG ask) that when/if you get time and want to, please post some scans of the highlights of that Topps/Bowman run from 1948-1981. The highlights could just be your favorites from each set or something. It would make for a great thread! I know that I would enjoy seeing your cards.

DBesse27 09-10-2017 10:04 PM

Current projects: John Hannah Master Set, autographed Andre Tippett basic Topps run. And always looking for the Eskimo Pie Gino Cappelletti card listed in my signature.

Last completed project: Cappelletti autographed run

Next project: not vintage, but Tom Brady super collection.

mmier118 09-10-2017 11:09 PM

Current project: finish up my 1952 bowman large set

Last project completed: A 1951 bowman hall of fame run, sometimes I like just completing the members that are in the hall of fame for a certain set. It pains me to spend money on commons sometimes.

Long term projects are the 1935 chicle set and the 1894 mayo set minus Dunlop.

jefferyepayne 09-11-2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Larry

Fantastic news, Larry! Congrats on finishing your run.

jeff

P.S. The madness NEVER stops ...

jefferyepayne 09-11-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1699862)
Current projects: John Hannah Master Set, autographed Andre Tippett basic Topps run. And always looking for the Eskimo Pie Gino Cappelletti card listed in my signature.

Last completed project: Cappelletti autographed run

Next project: not vintage, but Tom Brady super collection.

Great stuff, Dan. And good luck with the Eskimo Pie as those a really tough.

Is the Tom Brady run you are thinking of a set defined by PSA in the registry? Would love to know what's in this run.

jeff

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-11-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmier118 (Post 1699873)
Current project: finish up my 1952 bowman large set

Last project completed: A 1951 bowman hall of fame run, sometimes I like just completing the members that are in the hall of fame for a certain set. It pains me to spend money on commons sometimes.

Long term projects are the 1935 chicle set and the 1894 mayo set minus Dunlop.

Good stuff, Mike! Those are some very ambitious projects. I hope to be at that level eventually as well.

Hot Springs Bathers 09-11-2017 10:14 AM

I have dozens of projects going! My current interests lie in finishing the 1952 Bowman Large, 1965 Topps and 1964 Topps pennant inserts.

My favorite long-term project is collecting media guides from the major colleges plus Ivies from 1950-80. Frustrating but fun! As well as collecting game programs from all Arkansas colleges large and small.

jefferyepayne 09-11-2017 01:07 PM

Great projects, Mike & Mike!

Seems like the 52 Bowman Large is a popular project.

Good luck with the Chicle and Mayo sets. They are hard but lots of fun.

jeff

AFLfan 09-11-2017 06:50 PM

About 98% of my collection consists of signed cards from the 1960s AFL. I've been working in this area for nearly 20 years now. My signed regular issue sets are within sight of being complete. Though it means having two, three, sometimes four of the same signed card, I've also put together signed collections for the AFL All-Time First and Second Teams, 20 men who played all 10 AFL seasons, lots of cards with unique inscriptions, and player collections for Lance Alworth, John Hadl, Gino Cappelletti, Speedy Duncan, Clem Daniels, and several others.

I'm also slowly chipping away at signed 1961 Golden Tulips, 1969 Tresler Comets, 1968 Topps Test Teams (AFL only), 1968 Topps Stand Ups (AFL only), random 1969 Topps Four-in-Ones, etc.

jefferyepayne 09-12-2017 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFLfan (Post 1700138)
About 98% of my collection consists of signed cards from the 1960s AFL. I've been working in this area for nearly 20 years now. My signed regular issue sets are within sight of being complete. Though it means having two, three, sometimes four of the same signed card, I've also put together signed collections for the AFL All-Time First and Second Teams, 20 men who played all 10 AFL seasons, lots of cards with unique inscriptions, and player collections for Lance Alworth, John Hadl, Gino Cappelletti, Speedy Duncan, Clem Daniels, and several others.

I'm also slowly chipping away at signed 1961 Golden Tulips, 1969 Tresler Comets, 1968 Topps Test Teams (AFL only), 1968 Topps Stand Ups (AFL only), random 1969 Topps Four-in-Ones, etc.

I know there's some really tough individual signatures in your run, Todd, but one underappreciated project you are doing is that Four-in-Ones set. Getting four signatures on a single card has got to be a logistics nightmare! I'm sure you have some interesting stories about getting those signed successfully.

jeff

AFLfan 09-12-2017 06:57 AM

To be honest, Jeff, I think that there are only two four-in-ones with AFL players in which all four players are still living. But true to your statement, I'm having a tough time even with them. One card has Lance Alworth, Don Maynard, Billy Cannon and Ron McDole. I paid for Cannon once, got McDole and Alworth, only to have the card not come back from Maynard.

Recently I tried again on a new card. I managed to get Maynard back just fine. I put the card back into the mail yesterday to Ron McDole. If/When it comes back, I will take it to Lance to sign. Then Billy Cannon is doing a paid signing at the end of October, so I will then ship it off there.

The only other AFL four-in-one that I can think of with all guys still living is Ralph Baker, Eric Crabtree, Speedy Duncan and Bobby Bell. I've got two copies of that one signed by Baker and Duncan. Bell is pretty automatic TTM for $15, but Crabtree is the real challenge. Not sure yet how to tackle him.

On the rest of those cards I'm just picking out one guy to sign. Lazy, I know, but admittedly it's not my favorite set.

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-12-2017 04:21 PM

That is an awesome project! I have seen some of your signed AFL cards before, and they looked great. Since then, I have noticed signed AFL player cards on ebay. If I could ever get out of set building mode long enough, I would do something similar to what you've got going. Keep it up, and please keep sharing.

AFLfan 09-12-2017 04:58 PM

Thank you, Robert. You can check out some of my sets and other signed projects on my website:

Tales from the American Football League

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-12-2017 05:13 PM

What a great site, Todd! Thanks for sharing. I will be looking through it the next few days.

Edit to add: I have recently returned to football. My default is the AFL. I have put together the '65 and '66 Topps sets. I have strayed at the moment with a '65 Philadelphia set I am working on, but the AFL might be calling again when I'm done!

tuckr1 09-12-2017 05:24 PM

34 Payton rookies

Going for 34 Payton rookies, I have 22 thus far!!

sockwell123 09-12-2017 07:55 PM

Wow 22 is a bunch! Hope you reach your goal...would be sweet..

I've finished some late 50's Topps. Some 70's topps..currently bouncing between '57 Topps(need hornung, starr, and Unitas) and '72 topps ( need about 12 more ).

Not sure about future sets..maybe 60's Fleer, or Philly.

jefferyepayne 09-13-2017 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckr1 (Post 1700424)
Going for 34 Payton rookies, I have 22 thus far!!

That is SICK, Tuckr. And I mean that in a good way!

jeff

DBesse27 09-14-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1699893)
Great stuff, Dan. And good luck with the Eskimo Pie as those a really tough.

Is the Tom Brady run you are thinking of a set defined by PSA in the registry? Would love to know what's in this run.

jeff

When the time comes I'll grab literally any Brady card I can get my hands on.

jefferyepayne 09-15-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1701102)
When the time comes I'll grab literally any Brady card I can get my hands on.

Definitely start a thread on this when you do it. Interested to see how many you find out there ... guessing its going to be a truckload.

jeff

blackandgold 09-15-2017 09:43 AM

My current football project is slowly accumulating high numbers for the 1972 Topps set. I'm only getting a couple a month, because I'm also working on the 1967 baseball set and all of its high numbers. I am having fun though.

Nice to see what everyone else is dealing with.

th38larg 09-15-2017 12:43 PM

I'm focused on completing and a couple different sets and subsets. I've been a college football fan for most of my life and just naturally gravitated to those cards. So, as it stands, I'm working on collector grade versions of the following sets.

1961 Nu-Card (much to do, not an immediate focus)
1955 Topps All American (nearly finished, prob just 10-15 left)
1952 Bowman Large and Small subsets (just players w/ college listed on front)
1951 Topps Magic
1948 Leaf (just players w/ college listed in bio on back, think '49 has no college)
1948 Topps Magic Photo
1935 Natinonal Chicle (was just going to do Knute, Nags and Johnston, but figured I might as well collect the rest if going for Nags)
1929 Peoples Baking Football
1895 N302 (got a handful, still a long way to go, and feeling like I should just ignore our anonymous friend outright)

And you can add to this list a couple other random cards sprinkled throughoutother tough sets (Shotwell "Illinois Famous Half Back," N162 Beecher, etc.) Well, as you can see I have a long freaking way to go. Not sure if I'm going to run out of money or time on earth as a I work towards this incomplete list. Wish me luck...

pariah1107 09-15-2017 12:49 PM

Quietly working on my 1977 Topps Mexican set EX+, up to 204/526. Hi guys! Happy collecting :)

jthorst75 09-15-2017 12:56 PM

I got drawn into Sammy Baughs cards from his playing days because his Bowmans were works of art IMHO. I finished a run from 38 to 55 but have parted with most of them. I just recently started collecting the same cards but autographed. I have from 48 to 55 all PSA including both large and small Bowmans. I am still looking for a signed 48 Leaf but getting a 49 Leaf was a toughy.

yankeesjetsfan 09-15-2017 03:27 PM

Mine is trying to put together as many Topps NY Jets team sets as I can, I will be missing the Namath rookie unless I can hit lotto at some point.

Mike

wdwfan 09-19-2017 03:01 PM

I just came across this thread, and it's good to see other football collectors on this board. I'm working on the following:

Been working on this for the past 20 years...
Ricky Dudley PC (played for Ohio State and then Oakland, Tampa Bay and Cleveland in the late 1990s);

Current projects...
1971 Topps set (I only have 11 of them thus far); and
1961 Topps set (I had about 95 different cards from this set in college and sold them all, so restarting the set).

What's next?
Not sure. Trying to sell out of all of my modern cards to move solely into vintage. Will probably work on another set of some type.

vintagebaseballcardguy 09-19-2017 04:16 PM

It is fun and inspiring to see what other football collectors are working on. I know I benefit from the encouragement given out by you guys. It is fun having other collectors like you all to kick ideas around with. It also fun to see your cards and for me to show you some of mine.

There aren't many of us football collectors around here (and heck I even have a baseball name). We need to stick together, continue to support each other 's collecting, and really get this forum going!

wdwfan 09-19-2017 08:47 PM

I'm having trouble finding places where football trading is done. For example, here and SCF is really all about baseball vintage. BO is all about prospecting.

While I like trading for vintage baseball, where do you guys go to trade vintage football?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1702565)
It is fun and inspiring to see what other football collectors are working on. I know I benefit from the encouragement given out by you guys. It is fun having other collectors like you all to kick ideas around with. It also fun to see your cards and for me to show you some of mine.

There aren't many of us football collectors around here (and heck I even have a baseball name). We need to stick together, continue to support each other 's collecting, and really get this forum going!

Jedi1976 09-21-2017 04:29 PM

Always looking for Walter Payton cards

Hello everyone. I know this is a baseball forum and I was glad to see that a football topic came up.

I’m a huge Walter Payton collector and am always looking for his stuff. I’ve been working on his PSA Registry sets for years and there are always some tough to find ones that I’ve been looking for with no luck.

If anyone here has anything hard to find, even non-cards or other Payton collectibles, please send me a message.

Here’s a link to my PSA Master Set of WP.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/203266

SteveH1030 09-27-2017 11:29 AM

My football projects

Duplicate

SteveH1030 09-27-2017 11:33 AM

Love the theme...

1. What was the last project you completed?

- 1965 Philadelphia Football set in ~ NM condition

2. What is your current project?

- completing Cleveland Browns team sets from 1950 Bowman to 1990 sets.

3. What might you start after you complete your current project? Because it is never too soon to start looking ahead!

- Interested in starting on the 1971 Topps set or possibly 1962 Topps. I obviously like a condition challenge

jefferyepayne 09-27-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH1030 (Post 1705001)

- Interested in starting on the 1971 Topps set or possibly 1962 Topps. I obviously like a condition challenge

You've picked some difficult ones, Steve! Good luck with your current Browns run and keep us posted on that and these two really difficult sets to put together in good condition.

jeff

Jerseyguy 09-29-2017 12:21 PM

My current project i've been working on for 30+ years. Essentially I'd like to collect a card (or ticket or pocket schedule w/ photo) for every player that has ever been drafted and/or signed by the Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers. Obviously MANY players never had a card, in those cases I track down a photo and have a card made for them. Tons of transaction research necessary on top of searching for cards/photos as many players are signed then cut the following day.

The 2017 season aside, I need about 40 cards for players who were issued cards either while in the AFL/NFL or in college. I also need thousands of cards for players who were never issued a card. But I have hundreds of cards of 1960's players arriving within the next month from someone i've sourced to design/print them. That leaves another 5 decades of cards to get printed once i've found photos of the players. (unfortunately I recently had my hard drive crash and I've lost hundreds of photos, ugh!)

Anyway, once I sort my computer problem out I'll return to searching for photos and perhaps some of you guys with a stock pile of college and pro programs can help me out with photos. That and the last 40 cards, mostly college issued cards and one Golden Tulip.

revmoran 09-29-2017 02:17 PM

I just finished this project - not sure what is next.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4436/...838a87e1_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4415/...01637b70_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/...1b66c73b_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4500/...b7bb9512_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/...dbd143f6_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...22de42e6_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4437/...1ba6d881_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4424/...beedb04e_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/...6b772c71_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4436/...61b9e469_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4362/...7aab8ab1_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/...d13c7a37_b.jpg

jefferyepayne 09-29-2017 04:19 PM

Beautiful set, Mike! Congrats.

jeff

LuckyLarry 09-30-2017 04:27 AM

Beautiful set Rev, congratulations!
Larry

whiteymet 10-02-2017 10:21 PM

1960 Post Cereal Gifford

Trying to complete my 1960 Post Cereal Set. Missing Frank Gifford. Anyone have one available?

cfhofer 10-03-2017 09:35 AM

Awesome set Rev! Those are some great cards. Congrats.

SteveH1030 12-29-2017 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1705122)
You've picked some difficult ones, Steve! Good luck with your current Browns run and keep us posted on that and these two really difficult sets to put together in good condition.

jeff

As a follow up, I decided to work on the 1971 Topps Football set in ex/ NM condition and have made good progress. Still need a nice Joe Greene rookie though.

My Browns team sets are also rounding into shape. Currently focused on the 1952 Bowman small & large cards I still need. Recent pickups include 1957 Morrison (last card in the set) and a stellar 52 Large Otto Graham.

jefferyepayne 12-29-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH1030 (Post 1733603)
As a follow up, I decided to work on the 1971 Topps Football set in ex/ NM condition and have made good progress. Still need a nice Joe Greene rookie though.

My Browns team sets are also rounding into shape. Currently focused on the 1952 Bowman small & large cards I still need. Recent pickups include 1957 Morrison (last card in the set) and a stellar 52 Large Otto Graham.

Thanks for posting an update! That '52 Bowman Large Graham is one of my favorite cards from the 1950s. The artwork on those cards is beautiful and showing Graham in a larger than life image is just really spectacular. Glad you picked up a nice one.

jeff