Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Roster Move Question: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256164)

clydepepper 06-10-2018 06:32 PM

Roster Move Question:

Please forgive me if I've asked this before...

MLB.com states that players on a team's 40-man roster have three minor league options, but it doesn't mention the number of such options involving players not on the 40-man roster.

Is there a limit to how many times one such player can be optioned?

This caught my attention when three non-40 pitchers: Max Fried, Lucas Sims & Matt Wisler were optioned three, four and four times respectively in a five week span this season.

Thanks for any info.

clydepepper 06-11-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1785548)

MLB.com states that players on a team's 40-man roster have three minor league options, but it doesn't mention the number of such options involving players not on the 40-man roster.

This caught my attention when three non-40 pitchers: Max Fried, Lucas Sims & Matt Wisler were optioned three, four and four times respectively in a five week span this season.

Thanks for any info.

Anyone?

the 'stache 06-12-2018 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1785548)

Thanks for any info.

Hi Raymond,

I'll try to clarify this for you with my interpretation of MLB rule 11(C). If anybody reads this differently, please feel free to jump in.

A minor league player does not have a limited number of options, per se-their parent Major League team may move them between the 40-man roster, and one of their minor league affiliates, as many times as they want. However, once a player is added to the Major League team's 40-man roster, a three year window starts closing. Essentially, the Major League team must determine what they are going to do with the player while this window is open. If they don't, they may lose the rights to the player.

If, at any point during the three years, a player spends 20 or more days in the minors, one of those years are used up, accelerating the closure of the three year window (it is possible to add a fourth year to the window; that is detailed in the link I've provided below). If this happens, the team has only two years left to decide what they're going to do.

If the three year window runs out, the Major League team can either keep the player on their 40-man MLB eligible roster, add them to the 25-man active MLB roster, or try to send them back down to the minor leagues. If the MLB club wishes to send the "out of options" player back to the minors, that player must first clear waivers. Other Major League teams can then claim the player. If no other team claims the player, the player goes back down.

The pitchers you referenced are somewhere within their respective three year windows. My interpretation is that the Major League club can send them down, and call them back up, as many times as they want until that window closes.

See options

BradH 06-12-2018 07:57 AM

An "option" is a year

Raymond - I'm never in this section, but this caught my eye for some reason and I'll share some of my knowledge on this topic.

Bill's technical recap is correct, but to put it in a nutshell, once a player is called up from the minors (having his contract "purchased" or "selected"), his clock starts as far as his service time and his option status.

It's a common misperception that a guy can only be optioned and recalled three times. An option lasts for an entire season. A player can be called up (recalled) and sent down (optioned) as often as a team wishes during any given season (as long as it doesn't violate the "10-day rule", DL status, etc).

So your examples on the Braves players demonstrate that a guy can come up and down over and over during a season as long as they haven't done it beyond three seasons.

I won't bore you with DFA, outrighting, etc., but once a player is beyond those three years, the club has to go through a different route to send a player out and still keep him in the organization.

Regards,
Brad

clydepepper 06-12-2018 12:05 PM

Thanks Guys...even if I forget the details again, I can 'search' on this thread and find it...hopefully.

Even with my relative digital connectivity, I find the need to have hard-copies or pseudo-hard-copies available.