Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toronto Sports Card Expo (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168032)

DoubleJ 05-01-2013 08:08 PM

Toronto Sports Card Expo

Is anyone else going to the Toronto Sports Card Expo this weekend (May 3-5)? I'll be there on Sunday. More hockey cards than baseball, obviously, but it's still a fun show.

Josh

auggiedoggy 05-01-2013 08:21 PM

Toronto Show

I haven't been to a card show in years and when I did they were just small local shows. If I decide to start going to shows again, that would be the one I'd go to. I'm just up the 401 in Ottawa.

Go Sens!!! :D

DoubleJ 05-01-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auggiedoggy (Post 1125660)
I haven't been to a card show in years and when I did they were just small local shows. If I decide to start going to shows again, that would be the one I'd go to. I'm just up the 401 in Ottawa.

Go Sens!!! :D

Go Leafs:(

auggiedoggy 05-01-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleJ (Post 1125662)
Go Leafs:(

Better luck Saturday!

7nohitter 05-02-2013 02:19 AM

Bruins and Red Sox enjoyed Toronto last night!!

auggiedoggy 05-02-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1125713)
Bruins and Red Sox enjoyed Toronto last night!!

This was "THE" year the Jays were going to make some serious noise with the off-season acquisitions they made. One of the best teams on paper. Too bad the game wasn't played on paper! Now they are seriously stinking out the joint! I'll have to watch old video of their back-to-back World Series wins in the meantime. Wait, I can't even do that! I don't have a VHS player anymore. :(

BradH 05-21-2013 02:32 PM

Card shop help?

About 4-5 years ago I found a great old sportscard/memorabilia shop in downtown Toronto. I loaded up on some 1950s/60s non-sports cards, a few tobacco baseball cards and about a dozen 1954-55 Topps hockey cards (overpaid a bit for the hockey, but they were NICE...)

I can't remember the name of it, but in doing an online search I think it might have been "Fastball Collectibles" (?). I spoke to a gentleman on the phone who said he closed his shop in 2010 to sell his items online only.

My question for our friends in Toronto - Does anyone know of any good card shops in the downtown area (that are open on weekdays)? I'm making a visit next week and have some free time on Monday.

Jim F 05-21-2013 03:25 PM

Unfortunately, there are no card shops in downtown Toronto that would interest a vintage collector.

cdn_collector 05-21-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH (Post 1134197)
About 4-5 years ago I found a great old sportscard/memorabilia shop in downtown Toronto. I loaded up on some 1950s/60s non-sports cards, a few tobacco baseball cards and about a dozen 1954-55 Topps hockey cards (overpaid a bit for the hockey, but they were NICE...)

I can't remember the name of it, but in doing an online search I think it might have been "Fastball Collectibles" (?). I spoke to a gentleman on the phone who said he closed his shop in 2010 to sell his items online only.

My question for our friends in Toronto - Does anyone know of any good card shops in the downtown area (that are open on weekdays)? I'm making a visit next week and have some free time on Monday.

It's possible the place you're thinking of is/was on the corner of King St W & John Street. I've only been there twice. The first time was probably 8-9 years ago and I was collecting 50s stuff, so it wasn't bad. The last time (maybe 5 years ago) I was there one half had been turned into a Tim Horton's coffee shop. No idea what the place looks like today.

Regards,

Richard.

DoubleJ 05-21-2013 08:51 PM

Legends of the Game

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH (Post 1134197)

The store (at King and John) Richard referred to is Legends of the Game. It looks much the same as it did 5 years ago (still beside the Tim Hortons). It has some vintage baseball and, although I don't usually look too much at the hockey cards, I think it has a decent hockey selection. If you're in downtown TO, it is worth checking out, although I would temper your expectations.

I don't know of any other card stores in downtown TO.

Josh

auggiedoggy 05-21-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleJ (Post 1134408)
The store (at King and John) Richard referred to is Legends of the Game. It looks much the same as it did 5 years ago (still beside the Tim Hortons). It has some vintage baseball and, although I don't usually look too much at the hockey cards, I think it has a decent hockey selection. If you're in downtown TO, it is worth checking out, although I would temper your expectations.

I don't know of any other card stores in downtown TO.

Josh

Its even worse here in Ottawa! The best place to find vintage stuff is via the Internet. I don't even go to local card shows anymore. Its a waste of time.