Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Teddy Atlas: Mike Tyson was not a great fighter (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260366)

samosa4u 09-26-2018 12:11 PM

Teddy Atlas: Mike Tyson was not a great fighter

I want you guys to read this article and tell me your thoughts. Please don't waste your time watching the YouTube video because it is long and boring.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/2...avyweight-news

bnorth 09-26-2018 12:35 PM

I completely disagree with you on the video. I actually recommend watching the entire podcast of 3:10:42 and I am not a Rogan fan. For once Joe just shut the hell up and let the guest speak and it was awesome.

As far as how Mr Atlas described Mike I believe he was spot on. I also know it is very hard for someone who has not participated in the sport to completely understand what Mr Atlas was saying.

Exhibitman 09-26-2018 12:49 PM

I've long held that belief. As I wrote on the subject of Tyson and the pound for pound GOAT debate: "I understand the intrigue of a Tyson but his career is dominated with "ifs": if Cus D'Amato had lived five more years, if Kevin Rooney had trained him, if he hadn't used a woman like a toilet seat. His record is not impressive. He beat an old, fat Larry Holmes. The two other HOFers Tyson fought beat him 3x. He clobbered tomato cans, bums of the month, blown up 175# and 200# fighters, and journeymen."

Rookiemonster 09-26-2018 01:01 PM

Teddy had held a grudge against Tyson for years. Tyson said some inappropriate things to his daughter .

Tyson’s career is filled with ifs. I still think he was a great fighter. Not the greatest ever but still I haven’t seen anything like him since.

clydepepper 09-26-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1815639)
Teddy had held a grudge against Tyson for years. Tyson said some inappropriate things to his daughter .

Tyson’s career is filled with ifs. I still think he was a great fighter. Not the greatest ever but still I haven’t seen anything like him since.

I have...Rhonda Rousey!

It's the old 'Emperor's New Clothes' thing

or

'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!' from the Wizard of Oz.

BearBailey 09-26-2018 05:59 PM

Teddy as usual is spot on. Once the fear went away he never adjusted. In his early years no one more exciting to watch but not a top 5 all time heavy weight.

Jim65 09-26-2018 06:16 PM

Tyson was very overrated. Ali would have picked him apart, a younger Foreman would have destroyed him. I would have loved to see a Frazier-Tyson bout.

Huysmans 09-27-2018 06:39 AM

The assessment was spot on. Tyson is considerably overrated, and not someone I'm a fan of in any way.

ronniehatesjazz 09-27-2018 08:32 AM

You guys are out of your minds! Teddy Atlas must have CTE with these outrageous claims!

steve B 09-27-2018 08:52 AM

It's sort of similar to why I never really liked Tyson. I was used to the guys I watched a few years before, Ali, Foreman, Frazier...… Lots of bluster, but a lot to back it up. And no dancing around stuff with too much politeness.

Tyson on the other hand... Knocks a guy out in under a round, and in the post fight tv interviews says "he fought a good fight," No, he spent a bit over or under a minute trying to make running for his life look sort of like boxing then got hit and that was that.

It was a very happy day for me when I heard Buster Douglas had beaten him.

vintage mesiah 09-27-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1815639)

It was actually his neice,

aaroncc 09-27-2018 11:38 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWJSvZKVWu0

Exhibitman 09-27-2018 11:49 AM

We already know what Tyson would do with Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield: lose. Let's go through the exercise for some better champions:

Muhammad Ali: would have made mincemeat of Tyson before they ever got into the ring. Ali's mental games were tailor made for guys like Liston and Tyson, and his style was perfect: look at what he did with Frazier, and Frazier had balls. Tyson is disqualified after 7-8 rounds of being cut to pieces and frustrated to the point of, I don't know, biting Ali on the ear.

Joe Louis: every bit as powerful as Tyson in his day (he broke Schmeling's back with a punch), cool as a cucumber under fire, would have beaten him down and knocked him out inside 10.

Jack Dempsey: Same outcome as Louis but way more fun to watch. The guy who shattered Jess Willard's face in 1919 could punch with anyone. Dempsey's vulnerability was to a master boxer, not a brute.

Joe Frazier: I would PPV this one, and I am a cheapskate, as it would be the war of the worlds. Tyson would quit or be KTFO.

Sonny Liston: This would have been a live one. Two intimidating brutes with emotional and mental deficiencies going at each other. Close but I give Liston an edge based on quality of opposition.

Rocky Marciano: same fight as Frazier. Marciano would walk through hell rather than lose; Tyson, not so much.

Jack Johnson: Similar to the Lewis fight. Uses his jab and defense to hold Tyson and bay and take him apart. One-sided and boring distance fight.

Dboneesq 09-27-2018 03:34 PM

Thanks for sharing. Was an interesting watch

I wonder what Teddy would say about Clayton Kershaw, considering how poorly he has pitched in the post season.