Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Hobby Goals (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233142)

tonyo 01-01-2017 06:09 AM

My goal is to remain in auto-pilot on my current projects, pare down/organize my collection a bit more, and not actively look to start new projects.

here are my auto-pilot goals:
  1. Adjust the content of my t206 520 by replacing more common backs(P,SC) with less common backs (OM, Sov, Tols, etc) or with cards with backstamps or period writing
  2. t205 set : still need 28 commons, 14 short prints, and 3 minor leaguers. Staying on a strict price limit & Not going for any variations.
  3. early candy cards (e90-1, e92, and their brethren). Looking for all the unique poses across the 6 sets that share common fronts. My checklist isn't organized on that so I'm not really sure how many I still "need"
  4. 51 bowman football. started in June 2016, still need 7 commons.
  5. working on 2 mid 90's sets autographed. slowly chipping away. One I'm at 167/265, the other 310/540
  6. Once I get my collection more organized, I'll probably want to add 3 or 4 cards to make my display case look complete. 1 George C Miller HOFer and 1 Batter Up HOFer are 2 that I know I'll want.
  7. 49b Paige, 52t Wilhelm and Mathews to complete my bowman/topps HOFer base set run 49thru80

BTW my entire collection collector grade (F/G/VG)

That's it!

Happy New Year and Happy Collecting everyone!

ALR-bishop 01-01-2017 07:13 AM

i am just going to travel around the entire world and forget about cards for awhile :)

bnorth 01-01-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1615794)
i am just going to travel around the entire world and forget about cards for awhile :)

Sounds like the best plan by far. Take lots of pictures and make a thread in the off topic section to share them. Have a ton of fun.:)

pawpawdiv9 01-01-2017 09:35 AM

Hitting the 4-0 this year. Putting a few things ahead of baseball cards. Gotta think about my health and life insurance and future things around the household. Might make 1-2 purchases, but not seeing too much extra-curricular spending.

irv 01-01-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1615695)
Quite ironic, my goal is the same as Irv's...."slowly" pick away at the 52 set. So far I am 311 out of 407 plus about 75 pct of the way with having both copies of the red and black backs. Since many (72) hi #s remain, my goal is to cut the overall 96 remaining down to 48 by this time next year. My other goal is to restrain from collecting other things until my 52 Topps set is done. The latter will be the hardest to achieve.

Good Luck, SFMS. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1615777)
My goal is to remain in auto-pilot on my current projects, pare down/organize my collection a bit more, and not actively look to start new projects.

here are my auto-pilot goals:

[*]49b Paige, 52t Wilhelm and Mathews to complete my bowman/topps HOFer base set run 49thru80

Happy New Year and Happy Collecting everyone![/LIST]

2 cards I'd also love to add to my collection.

Good luck. :)

Mark70Z 01-01-2017 11:22 AM

Orioles

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbymarine (Post 1615722)
Been lurking here for a while. Great board full of information & good-spirited collectors.

I'm working on a few players sets, mostly Orioles, from a few different eras. Buying slowly & and focusing on buying the card, instead of the holder. I too work on a fairly limited budget and get a lot of joy in sporadic buys and getting good value for the card when I buy it.

1) Jim Palmer - Finished this one 9 years ago, when my idea of eye-appeal was less than what it is now. Been upgrading slowly for a year and a half now. I'd like to get 2-3 upgrades in the next year, specifically 1971 & 1974 Topps.

2) I'd like to buy 10-12 cards for the below sets that I've been working on.

Boog Powell - Currently 7/16
Frank Robinson - Currently 5/19
Brooks Robinson - Currently 12/24
Carl Furillo - Currently 6/12

Happy New Year, everyone!

Sounds like a cool collection and some nice goals for the year. I'm an O's fan as well and mainly collect Brooks Robinson even though I love all the other O's you've listed. Palmer was a great pitcher and will make for a good #1 goal. Would enjoy seeing some of your collection.

So Furio seems out of place even though a great player. Why the collection of his?

rugbymarine 01-01-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1615872)
Sounds like a cool collection and some nice goals for the year. I'm an O's fan as well and mainly collect Brooks Robinson even though I love all the other O's you've listed. Palmer was a great pitcher and will make for a good #1 goal. Would enjoy seeing some of your collection.

So Furio seems out of place even though a great player. Why the collection of his?

You're right, Furillo is out of place!

We moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I got the bug to collect cards again. I had always collected 1963 and newer stuff. I wanted to focus on player sets and key rookies. I also wanted to collect a player from the 50s. I've always loved the stories from that time. However, at my current point in life (30, with kids), most of the big guns of that time, Mantle, Berra, Mays, Jackie, etc would be tough with my current budget.

Then I found out Furillo was from a small town near Reading. I started learning about the type of player he was. Outstanding regular that was overshadowed by the stars and story lines of those great Brooklyn teams.

A few of his cards have become some of my favorites in my collections, even if they aren't the most valuable.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's link to my sets. As much as I can I try to scan everything I have.

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...othersets/2454

(p.s. Check out the Frank Robinson rookie. That's the newest addition and one of my 2016 highlights!!)

Exhibitman 01-01-2017 12:37 PM

For postwar baseball I'd like to do this w/o spending a ton:

--Add another 1968 Atlantic Oil SP; as long as it is a wish list, how about Banks?
--Finish my 1971 Topps Super set (14 to go)
--Finish my 1972 Kellogg's ATG set (4 to go but all Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb)
--Add a few more to/upgrade my Aaron, Koufax and Rosen collections
--Pick up a few more nice 1971 OPC stars
--Upgrade a few Nolan Ryan cards

Neal 01-01-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1615794)

Nice!

Mark70Z 01-01-2017 03:57 PM

Orioles

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbymarine (Post 1615903)
You're right, Furillo is out of place!

We moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I got the bug to collect cards again. I had always collected 1963 and newer stuff. I wanted to focus on player sets and key rookies. I also wanted to collect a player from the 50s. I've always loved the stories from that time. However, at my current point in life (30, with kids), most of the big guns of that time, Mantle, Berra, Mays, Jackie, etc would be tough with my current budget.

Then I found out Furillo was from a small town near Reading. I started learning about the type of player he was. Outstanding regular that was overshadowed by the stars and story lines of those great Brooklyn teams.

A few of his cards have become some of my favorites in my collections, even if they aren't the most valuable.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's link to my sets. As much as I can I try to scan everything I have.

(p.s. Check out the Frank Robinson rookie. That's the newest addition and one of my 2016 highlights!!)

Very cool on the Furillo. Nice to have background on why people collect what they do. You picked a good one.

Just went through all your PSA items and the cards are awesome looking. A couple that stand out to me are, of course the F. Robby rookie, but really like the '60 Topps Brooks and the '66 Vene Palmer. Those three are my favs.