Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Incredible eBay find that never materialized (newly discovered info on 6/26!!!) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256187)

sterlingfox 06-11-2018 12:53 PM

Incredible eBay find that never materialized (newly discovered info on 6/26!!!)

This happened a little while ago, and I never planned to post about it here, but after being encouraged by a fellow board member, I've decided to go ahead and share my story.

About a month ago, I spotted a dream card of mine on eBay for a price that I couldn't believe. A 1907 Dietsche postcard Cobb Batting PSA 2.5 for $1200. What luck, I thought to myself, as I purchased and paid for it via a Buy-It-Now listing. About 20 minutes later, I even got a shipping notice and a tracking number! I was excited beyond belief!

It was only 10 minutes later that reality struck and the seller cancelled the sale. I asked the seller why my order was cancelled, and the reply was that their kids jumped on and damaged both the PSA case, as well as the card itself in the process.

Of course I didn't believe a word of it, and had some choice words for the seller. Needless to say, I left negative feedback and just decided to move on, chalking it up to bad luck.

In my opinion, what happened was that someone contacted the seller immediately after I made the purchase and offered considerably more. After all, the card is probably worth north of $3000. Maybe even $4000. No matter - it's the seller's job to research and price the item accordingly.

This is why I'd like for everyone here to know that the seller, maxcollector69, is very dishonest. I do hope they are not a member of Net54. I'm sure the dishonest buyer will also not let themselves be known.

This also goes to show that outing an eBay listing that recently ended is a very bad idea. There are lots of greedy a-holes out there that will try their best to snatch that great deal away from you. As in my case, they sometimes succeed.

Link to the original listing, which sold on 5/12/18
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253618997568

6/26/18 UPDATE - the card was relisted on eBay by showpiecessports for $5995. Linked below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123214423640

bobbyw8469 06-11-2018 01:17 PM

Tough break on the card. I'll have to take your word that it's worth that much, because I'm looking on VCP and I don't see it being worth $4,000+.

Sean 06-11-2018 01:26 PM

This same thing happened a few years ago with a T206 Lenox and an a__hole seller on eBay. The seller had a store in Texas, I think it was called Battersbox.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost out on your card. I hate it when a third party jumps in and messes up a deal.

sterlingfox 06-11-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1785769)
Tough break on the card. I'll have to take your word that it's worth that much, because I'm looking on VCP and I don't see it being worth $4,000+.

A very recent REA sale of an SGC 20 with heavy creasing went for $3300.

bobbyw8469 06-11-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1785773)

And PWCC had a SGC 40 sale for $2,500 recently. The prices are all over the place on the card. But yes, someone shouldn't have messed with your auction.

sterlingfox 06-11-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1785774)
And PWCC had a SGC 40 sale for $2,500 recently. The prices are all over the place on the card. But yes, someone shouldn't have messed with your auction.

Agreed, but I do think that the market has shifted a bit on this card in the 3 short months between those 2 comps.

It seems to be taking a similar road as the '25 Exhibits Gehrig - becoming more accepted in the hobby as a rookie card (along with the fielding pose).

vansaad 06-11-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1785773)

Did the crease look like it had been caused by kids jumping on it?

sterlingfox 06-11-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansaad (Post 1785777)

They are 2 completely different cards. The REA sale happened before this card was offered for sale.

Republicaninmass 06-11-2018 01:43 PM

even worse when you find it was a friend (former) and N54 member (current) who contacted the seller

BLongley 06-11-2018 01:44 PM

A PSA Authentic sold in May REA's auction for $4200. I just paid $2k for an SGC 10... At any rate, that is not cool.... I'm sorry the seller did that, he screwed up, but that should be his loss and not yours. I won't be buying anything from him, so thank you for letting me know.

ALR-bishop 06-11-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

:)

brianp-beme 06-11-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Under no circumstances should anyone ever store graded cards on top of trampolines. However, raw is okay.

Brian

sterlingfox 06-11-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1785781)
even worse when you find it was a friend (former) and N54 member (current) who contacted the seller

I'm sorry to hear that you went through something similar, especially since it was a (former) friend of yours. If you don't mind, I'd like to know who this N54 member is via PM.

chalupacollects 06-11-2018 03:35 PM

Bad seller doesn't seem to be selling anything right now...

hcv123 06-11-2018 04:48 PM

Had this happen a couple of times

The worst at a Robert Morris show in Pittsburgh - I was a dealer - a guy walked up with a hell of a collection - mostly 1920's-1940's - Ruth's, Gerhig's, a few key autographs, postcards, etc. While I was negotiating a deal with the guy, a dealer set up across from me - Tony (I believe from a company named Superior sports - older guy back then - short, Skinny, black hair - very into trophies and memorabilia) walks over to my table and says to the guy "don't make a deal with him (me) until you talk to me". It was as close as I've ever come to jumping across my table and hitting someone. He ended up stealing the deal from me. Felt like hitting him the rest of the show - certainly shared w few choice words. Gets my blood boiling just remembering it. As it happened there was a small bit of Karma in the room and when Tony was packing up -he dropped and broke one of his trophies - couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Sorry this happened to you op.

orly57 06-11-2018 05:03 PM

A good rule of thumb is never buy from a guy who sneaks a 69 in their eBay handle.

A PSA 4 sold for $5,760 on Heritage in February.

Ronnie73 06-11-2018 05:16 PM

Similar thing happened to me. I was told the next day that the card sold on their website minutes before I made the purchase on ebay and paid right away. I still hold a bit of a grudge with the seller because I haven't come across another card since. That card was a T205 Collins Yellow Elephant.
http://www.comicplace.com/net54/yellowele.jpg

Chris Counts 06-11-2018 05:54 PM

I've been on both sides of this one, and you just can't put a price on integrity. I've left money on the table before because I've previously agreed to sell something for less, and a bigger offer came in. I once had a Net54 seller yank a deal out from under me under similar circumstances, and I will never deal with that seller again. There are just too many good sellers out there.

Republicaninmass 06-11-2018 06:28 PM

Deans cards has done it at least once to me as well. If so.eone pays he stupid price he wonders why. I wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire, and debated legal action. He sold th e card for quite a bit more, therfore damages could have been measured

vintagehofrookies 06-11-2018 06:40 PM

sorry to hear that happened to you but is that card really a $3k card??? It seems like only a couple years ago I bought a PSA 4 off ebay for UNDER $1K

vintagehofrookies 06-11-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1785834)
A good rule of thumb is never buy from a guy who sneaks a 69 in their eBay handle.

A PSA 4 sold for $5,760 on Heritage in February.

thats ridiculous!

BeanTown 06-11-2018 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its a new game for Cobb postcards including Dietsche.

Fballguy 06-12-2018 07:58 AM

Not nearly on par with the OPs experience....but just a recent "funny excuse" story. Last week I won an early 70's Pro Bowl pennant that I didn't need...but bidding was at $0.99 in the closing seconds so I said what the heck. I won the thing for $1.25.

A couple days later...tragedy struck. I get a message from the seller stating that just as he was packaging my pennant for shipment, his mother dropped a glass of water shattering it and spraying my pennant in the process. He was sure I would no longer want it in "that condition" (i.e....wet) and apologized for the inconvenience. I said no...that's fine. I still want it. Haven't received it yet.

bobbyw8469 06-12-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1785976)
Not nearly on par with the OPs experience....but just a recent "funny excuse" story. Last week I won an early 70's Pro Bowl pennant that I didn't need...but bidding was at $0.99 in the closing seconds so I said what the heck. I won the thing for $1.25.

A couple days later...tragedy struck. I get a message from the seller stating that just as he was packaging my pennant for shipment, his mother dropped a glass of water shattering it and spraying my pennant in the process. He was sure I would no longer want it in "that condition" (i.e....wet) and apologized for the inconvenience. I said no...that's fine. I still want it. Haven't received it yet.

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

sterlingfox 06-12-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Definitely an excuse to not sell an item that sold for an amount lower than the seller expected.

If a seller is expecting a certain amount, why not just list it as a Buy-It-Now and avoid these types of shenanigans? :confused:

Then again, I bought a BIN and the seller pulled the same crap...

Orioles1954 06-12-2018 12:01 PM

My cat actually did eat one of my cards (a 1952 Topps Feller) that was on ebay. Being that it happened with 6 hours left I only had an unbelievable story that made me look like a flake.

Ronnie73 06-12-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1786047)
My cat actually did eat one of my cards (a 1952 Topps Feller) that was on ebay. Being that it happened with 6 hours left I only had an unbelievable story that made me look like a flake.

I had a cat years ago that somehow knew what the valuable cards were and if I didn't play with the cat when he wanted to play, I would end up finding teeth marks on those cards. He was kinda like a little brother.

brianp-beme 06-12-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

After reading your various posts about issues with receiving pennants I have officially banned pennants and all their felt-like friends from my collection...they just aren't worth the hassle.

Brian (living a cardboard pure life for decades)

conor912 06-12-2018 01:51 PM

This is one of the many reasons I never get even a little bit excited about a purchase until it's in my hands. Easy come, easy go.

Republicaninmass 06-12-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1786076)
This is one of the many reasons I never get even a little bit excited about a purchase until it's in my hands. Easy come, easy go.

Unfortunately true

Fballguy 06-12-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1786068)
After reading your various posts about issues with receiving pennants I have officially banned pennants and all their felt-like friends from my collection...they just aren't worth the hassle.

Brian (living a cardboard pure life for decades)

Yeah...I've had more than my fair share of interesting experiences. But I've had great ones too. I think the size and shape of pennants leads to a lot of issues. People who don't sell them regularly, don't know how to ship them. And there's also no reference material so they don't know what to expect when they sell them. The good definitely outweighs the bad....but the bad is more fun to talk about. ;)

Leon 06-13-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 1786056)
I had a cat years ago that somehow knew what the valuable cards were and if I didn't play with the cat when he wanted to play, I would end up finding teeth marks on those cards. He was kinda like a little brother.

Teething cats and baseball cards are not a good combo. One time I found our Beagle (*RIP) with a Schapira Big Show HOF'er in her mouth. It was in an ultra pro holder with teeth marks but escaped injury itself. That was a close call.

As far as ebay finds, I have had several sales canceled due to board members spouting off about them here, before the cards were shipped. IT sucks.

BLongley 06-26-2018 05:16 PM

Guess what??? It seems the sale that never materialized has made itself back on eBay.... different seller, but same holder and it doesn't seem damaged at all. Current asking price is now a bit over $5k....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123214423640

Buythatcard 06-26-2018 08:13 PM

Similar things happen to eBay sellers. I had a buyer who won a high priced card from me. Less than an hour after he won the card, he told me that he no longer wanted it because he found it cheaper somewhere else.

bobbyw8469 06-26-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buythatcard (Post 1790126)
Similar things happen to eBay sellers. I had a buyer who won a high priced card from me. Less than an hour after he won the card, he told me that he no longer wanted it because he found it cheaper somewhere else.

Happens all the time with me....block and move on.

BLongley 06-26-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1790127)
Happens all the time with me....block and move on.

No the case on this one was that the OP won the card at a great price, paid and received shipping confirm. Then he suddenly receives an email from the seller ( maxcollector69) saying that the card case and card itself was damaged by his kids and canceled the sale.... this was obviously a lie, he had in fact sold the card for half of what was worth made up the lie, canceled the trade, and obviously sold it for a higher price to the new seller (showpiecesports) who must have contacted him to say he sold it too low and that he would pay more and is now attempting to sell the exact same card in the exact same case, no damage from the kids.... for $5995 (the OP had done buy it now for $1200)....lots of low morals here with these two sellers... maxcollector69 in particular....

sterlingfox 06-26-2018 09:47 PM

I have contacted showpiecessports, and they said they are not consigning this piece for anyone. That means they are almost certainly the buyer.

Does anyone know if showpiecessports is on Net54?

Here a link to the new auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123214423640

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLongley (Post 1790134)
No the case on this one was that the OP won the card at a great price, paid and received shipping confirm. Then he suddenly receives an email from the seller ( maxcollector69) saying that the card case and card itself was damaged by his kids and canceled the sale.... this was obviously a lie, he had in fact sold the card for half of what was worth made up the lie, canceled the trade, and obviously sold it for a higher price to the new seller (showpiecesports) who must have contacted him to say he sold it too low and that he would pay more and is now attempting to sell the exact same card in the exact same case, no damage from the kids.... for $5995 (the OP had done buy it now for $1200)....lots of low morals here with these two sellers... maxcollector69 in particular....

sterlingfox 06-27-2018 04:21 AM

The new seller is now claiming that he got the card in a trade for an expensive autograph, yet he won't tell me who he got it from.

He also claims he knows nothing of cards or Dietsche PCs, yet he has hundreds of graded cards for sale in his eBay store.

I'm now even more certain that showpiecessports is the one who bought the card from maxcollector69.

jimjim 06-27-2018 04:59 AM

I won’t be buying from them, ever. Especially since everything is waaaay overpriced. Lol You should let them know that people are boycotting the store due to their actions. Did you message the original seller with the new auction number and ask about condition of the holder?! Wonder what story they are going to come up with.

yanksfan09 06-27-2018 05:18 AM

Is there any way to block sellers on ebay? So i dont see their listings?

SMPEP 06-27-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1790160)
Is there any way to block sellers on ebay? So i dont see their listings?

I just wrote the seller and requested that they block me from their future auctions. I don't wish to deal with people like this, and don't want to accidentally forget who they are and bid from them.

Oh, and if you're an ebay seller and find this acceptable behavior ... feel free to ban me from bidding on your auctions too. Thanks!

Cheers,
Patrick

sterlingfox 06-27-2018 08:38 AM

Yes, I've sent a message to maxcollector69 with a link to the new auction.

Still waiting to hear back from them, but I don't expect a reply, as they never responded to me again after they sent me the story about how the PSA holder got broken and how the card got damaged.

I've also let the new seller know that their actions in this ordeal won't go unnoticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjim (Post 1790159)
I won’t be buying from them, ever. Especially since everything is waaaay overpriced. Lol You should let them know that people are boycotting the store due to their actions. Did you message the original seller with the new auction number and ask about condition of the holder?! Wonder what story they are going to come up with.

SMPEP 06-27-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMPEP (Post 1790217)
I just wrote the seller and requested that they block me from their future auctions. I don't wish to deal with people like this, and don't want to accidentally forget who they are and bid from them.

Oh, and if you're an ebay seller and find this acceptable behavior ... feel free to ban me from bidding on your auctions too. Thanks!

Cheers,
Patrick

Just a follow up ... I sent a very professional note jsaying that I read about his business practices on Net54 and wished to be banned from his future auctions.

His response: "Must be my lucky day" (Full and complete message)

VERY happy to not deal with someone like him in the future.

Cheers,
Patrick

KMayUSA6060 06-27-2018 09:20 AM

I think eBay would like to hear about this. They presumably lost guaranteed money buy a transaction on eBay being cancelled in favor of a transaction involving the same card off eBay.

sterlingfox 06-27-2018 10:00 AM

Funny you should mention this - I just got done reporting both of them to eBay over the phone for engaging in a transaction outside of eBay.

This is a direct violation of eBay rules.

I hope they both get banned!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1790223)
I think eBay would like to hear about this. They presumably lost guaranteed money buy a transaction on eBay being cancelled in favor of a transaction involving the same card off eBay.

the-illini 06-27-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1790233)
Funny you should mention this - I just got done reporting both of them to eBay over the phone for engaging in a transaction outside of eBay.

Unfortunately that will be a long shot, at best. Showpiecessports has 6500+ items for sale right now. Ebay isn't going to ban them for one transaction. All about their bottom line...

BobC 06-27-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1790223)

And also, wouldn't you potentially have a legal recourse against the original seller as well? I'm not a lawyer but, I know there is the possibility of a suit being brought for specific performance. But that is typically only for real estate transactions because of the specific and unique nature of such sales. Still, and you could confirm this with Ebay, I believe transactions executed using their platform are considered the same as a binding contract. If so, it sure sounds like you had completed the sale and offered adequate compensation for the item being purchased, and then got lied to as to what happened. And if in fact the Cobb postcard now for sale on Ebay at almost four times what you would have paid for it is the same card in the same PSA holder, you pretty much have him by the you-know-whats! At this point you probably can't force him to complete the transaction as he now longer has the card. But, you could at least ask for damages, which I believe should at least be the additional profit he made on screwing you and selling to this other guy who cut in on your deal.

It obviously is not worth it to formally go to sue this guy and pay an attorney to try taking him to court but, it couldn't hurt to threaten him with exposing what he did to Ebay and and also threaten to sue him for the difference he cost you, plus all the court costs and your attorney fees to go after him. From what you've said and shown, you have this guy dead to rights and can fairly easily prove he's guilty as sin of cheating you. Worst case scenario, he tells you to go pound salt, and you walk away knowing he's a jerk and never do business with him again. Better case scenario, he gives/pays you something so you don't go after him or report him to Ebay and you maybe have some money to at least go buy something else for yourself.

doug.goodman 06-27-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1790233)

Ha!

Ebay doesn't give a shit.

sterlingfox 06-27-2018 01:44 PM

I've already reported both parties to eBay, but I don't think it would be worth it for me to try and sue him for the difference between what I paid and what he sold it for.

He is also not responding to any of my messages, so I don't think a threat of a lawsuit will make any bit of difference to him.

My only hope from all of this is that maxcollector69 and showpiecessports both get exposed for what they did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 1790270)
And also, wouldn't you potentially have a legal recourse against the original seller as well? I'm not a lawyer but, I know there is the possibility of a suit being brought for specific performance. But that is typically only for real estate transactions because of the specific and unique nature of such sales. Still, and you could confirm this with Ebay, I believe transactions executed using their platform are considered the same as a binding contract. If so, it sure sounds like you had completed the sale and offered adequate compensation for the item being purchased, and then got lied to as to what happened. And if in fact the Cobb postcard now for sale on Ebay at almost four times what you would have paid for it is the same card in the same PSA holder, you pretty much have him by the you-know-whats! At this point you probably can't force him to complete the transaction as he now longer has the card. But, you could at least ask for damages, which I believe should at least be the additional profit he made on screwing you and selling to this other guy who cut in on your deal.

It obviously is not worth it to formally go to sue this guy and pay an attorney to try taking him to court but, it couldn't hurt to threaten him with exposing what he did to Ebay and and also threaten to sue him for the difference he cost you, plus all the court costs and your attorney fees to go after him. From what you've said and shown, you have this guy dead to rights and can fairly easily prove he's guilty as sin of cheating you. Worst case scenario, he tells you to go pound salt, and you walk away knowing he's a jerk and never do business with him again. Better case scenario, he gives/pays you something so you don't go after him or report him to Ebay and you maybe have some money to at least go buy something else for yourself.

sterlingfox 06-27-2018 01:46 PM

While that might be true, I still feel it was worth my 10 minutes on the phone to report the incident and let eBay investigate, even if nothing comes of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1790274)
Ha!

Ebay doesn't give a shit.