Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How the Internet Changed Collecting (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239731)

clamendo 05-14-2017 09:15 AM

How the Internet Changed Collecting

Check out this article

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/ab...05/abu0402/s05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revmoran 05-14-2017 03:52 PM

I think what they said about recognizing supply has been true of the Giants program I've been collecting - at first they brought a premium on eBay and then when people saw those prices it seemed a lot more hit the market and the prices dropped. I haven't seen that in other areas I collect, but it was true of the regular season games from the 1930s.

jefferyepayne 05-15-2017 07:18 AM

Agree the internet has changed things but this article simplifies the effect too much in my opinion.

I would disagree that pricing for all collectibles is readily available and makes it more difficult to get good deals. While true for mainstream cards, pricing data for obscure sets and other types of memorabilia like programs, tickets, photos, etc. is often very hard to find. Also, many memorabilia items on ebay are still either misclassified or misidentified and you can get some really good deals if you have done your research.

You can also get good deals on mainstream items if you are patient. If you look at VCP, you will see that prices swing pretty substantially on most items within a year window. Bargains are available if you are willing to keep trying and not jump at the first auction that comes up.

jeff

clamendo 05-15-2017 07:31 AM

I had a dealer with multiple tables at the Strongsville show look me straight in the eyes after looking at the VCP and tell me that my 1964 Kahns HoF Alex Webster PSA 3 was worth $5.50. I sold it for $30 to a dealer two tables away. If a dealer has too look up a card in the VCP they are either (1) in experienced (2) trying to use it as a means to low ball you

jefferyepayne 05-15-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clamendo (Post 1661498)
I had a dealer with multiple tables at the Strongsville show look me straight in the eyes after looking at the VCP and tell me that my 1964 Kahns HoF Alex Webster PSA 3 was worth $5.50. I sold it for $30 to a dealer two tables away. If a dealer has too look up a card in the VCP they are either (1) in experienced (2) trying to use it as a means to low ball you

LOL, Carl. There was probably one VCP entry for that card from 2010 and he went with 50% of that.

Totally agree with you.

jeff

Exhibitman 05-15-2017 09:20 PM

I agree with Jeff. I pay more attention to the frequency of sale on VCP than the prices. If the item is plentiful I hold out for a bargain. If the only sale is years ago I will move on it.

Hot Springs Bathers 05-16-2017 08:49 AM

I can honestly say that the internet brought back into collecting. In 1992 I was fed up with several aspects of the hobby. The net solved most of those problems.

I was at a point where it was getting tough to finish sets like my T206's and the SP's from the 1952 Bowman large. You just couldn't find them and when they were in a SCD ad by the time my issue arrived and I would call they were already sold.

Another factor was that I really didn't enjoy many of the folks on the dealer side of the hobby, it had evolved into a quick buck, sleazy element it seemed. Not much fun to be around.

When I discovered eBay the only limiting factor was how much disposable income was on hand. Things seem to have evolved back to a much kinder, gentlemanly hobby or maybe I am just lucky these days with the people I deal with?

Volod 05-18-2017 01:44 PM

Agree with Mike that internet sales seem to have made dealing with "dealers" much more tolerable than it was twenty to thirty years ago. I wonder if that is due to people generally feeling less anxious and/or suspicious in an electronic transaction, as opposed to face-to-face. Either party can take their time, study the merchandise and make an informed judgement more easily in the former situation than the latter. On the other hand, I admit to a few guilty memories of buying stuff at card shows back in the early '80's, where a dealer or two may have taken a snack or smoke break, leaving his sig-other to watch the goods, and that person, due to ignorance or indifference, gave me a great deal on merchandise that I wasn't expecting. But, overall, I believe dealing has been greatly enhanced by advances in technology.