Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just looking for a second opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272702)

Bill77 08-23-2019 10:28 AM

Just looking for a second opinion

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought this Titus about a month ago fully aware of most of the issues with it. When I got it I noticed someone had tried to peal off the scrap book paper and stopped before doing anymore damage than already done, so I just put it in my binder as is knowing nothing good would come from soaking it. Then just before I had to go to work yesterday I happened to pull this card out my binder and when the light hit it I noticed that the surface has a lot of crackling on the front. So I guess I just want confirm that the card is fake.

Bill77 08-23-2019 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok here are some better scans.

Econteachert205 08-23-2019 10:52 AM

I think it’s real

drcy 08-23-2019 11:23 AM

Interesting wrinkles, but it real.

Beyond that it's real, I've never heard of someone putting fake album paper on a reprint.

Bill77 08-23-2019 11:36 AM

It was just weird when I noticed it thought maybe a doctored or something. I've just been having really bad luck lately and thought it was spilling over into my card collection.

trdcrdkid 08-23-2019 11:38 AM

Looks real. I don’t think soaking would hurt it, if done properly, but it wouldn’t be guaranteed to get all the paper off the back.

swarmee 08-23-2019 12:05 PM

I think more of the front would flake off during a soak. I wouldn't do it, unless you don't mind losing more of the border (and possibly image). It would really only make sense if you think there's a rare back hiding underneath.

david_l 08-23-2019 12:07 PM

I’d be a little reluctant to soak it due to the chipping and flaking that you see. You might start to lose pieces of the cardboard and ink in the soaking process. I’m not saying it’s necessarily the case but I’ve soaked T206s before and had that happen.

trdcrdkid 08-23-2019 12:24 PM

Looks like either a Piedmont or Tolstoi back, based on what's peeking through the scrapbook paper, where you can see a "B" and part of a diagonal triple line in the upper left part, and part of the border on the middle right. Most likely a Piedmont.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-23-2019 12:30 PM

I'm guessing it was soaked poorly or with a solvent already which might account for the crazing as it shrunk. Even the exposed paper on the front, which typically turns dirty very quickly, is still whitish. I think a water soak is pointless, and in fact dangerous as the card is very fragile at this point and the backing paper is actually helping to hold it together.

rjackson44 08-23-2019 12:34 PM

Its good agree with scott

Throttlesteer 08-23-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1910907)
I'm guessing it was soaked poorly or with a solvent already which might account for the crazing as it shrunk. Even the exposed paper on the front, which typically turns dirty very quickly, is still whitish. I think a water soak is pointless, and in fact dangerous as the card is very fragile at this point and the backing paper is actually helping to hold it together.

This was my thought as well. Leave it be

Bill77 08-23-2019 03:47 PM

Yeah it's just a Piedmont back so nothing to gain.

Thank you to everyone for the help. The card is back in the binder where it belongs.

And on a side note I finally bought a blacklight this afternoon and checked all of my cards and aside from a few overly cleaned T218's nothing seems to look fake.

frankbmd 08-23-2019 03:56 PM

I thought you were going to say that when you took it out of your binder that you could see a faint UZIT image visible through the scrapbook paper that wasn’t previously visible.

Bill77 08-23-2019 04:04 PM

I wish, but I almost bid on a card that I thought I could make out a Carolina Brights back through scrapbook paper a few years ago, but the seller pulled the auction a few hours before I could bid crazy amounts for it.

Leon 08-26-2019 03:43 PM

Sounds like the seller found out too. :)

As for the card in question, real and I too would leave it be, (maybe). :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 1910980)
I wish, but I almost bid on a card that I thought I could make out a Carolina Brights back through scrapbook paper a few years ago, but the seller pulled the auction a few hours before I could bid crazy amounts for it.

Elderwood17 08-27-2019 05:53 PM

It looks real to me too but I would probably not risk soaking that one. Just my humble opinion.