Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hostess Master Checklist (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253378)

4reals 04-04-2018 12:16 AM

Hostess Master Checklist

I've searched through the net54 archives and wasn't able to find anything. Can someone share a link to a master Hostess checklist if one exists? In particular, I'm looking for information on panel variations. It seems that the L-shaped panels were printed on Cup Cakes boxes but I'm wondering if there was an L-shaped panel variation for every panel in every year or only certain panels in certain years? For example, if there was a L-panel, I have always found the straight panel equivalent but there are some straight panels I have never seen an L-panel for.

Also, it is well documented that the individually wrapped Twinkies had black bars/bold print on the back but I have seen next to nothing documented regarding the individually wrapped Suzy-Q cards which also have a black bar on back but came on a much larger card stock. As an identifier, the black bar is much further away from the player's name and stats than on a Twinkies card. Does a checklist of the Suzy-Qs exist? The only one I have as an example is a 1977 Rick Monday.

4reals 04-04-2018 01:07 AM

Rick Monday example: Twinkies (left), Suzy Q (right).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7180397f9a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9f91817b27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savedfrommyspokes 04-04-2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 1764148)
I've searched through the net54 archives and wasn't able to find anything. Can someone share a link to a master Hostess checklist if one exists? In particular, I'm looking for information on panel variations. It seems that the L-shaped panels were printed on Cup Cakes boxes but I'm wondering if there was an L-shaped panel variation for every panel in every year or only certain panels in certain years? For example, if there was a L-panel, I have always found the straight panel equivalent but there are some straight panels I have never seen an L-panel for.

Also, it is well documented that the individually wrapped Twinkies had black bars/bold print on the back but I have seen next to nothing documented regarding the individually wrapped Suzy-Q cards which also have a black bar on back but came on a much larger card stock. As an identifier, the black bar is much further away from the player's name and stats than on a Twinkies card. Does a checklist of the Suzy-Qs exist? The only one I have as an example is a 1977 Rick Monday.

Joe, I do not know about a master checklist existing, but I have learned something already from your posts. For years, I have been trying to understand with 77s why I had some cards stained just as Twinkies cards very often are, but were missing the black bars that the Twinkies cards have. Suzy-Q cards would explain this. Is there a way you can post a picture of the back of these two cards also?

4reals 04-04-2018 07:39 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ff81e34e91.jpg

4reals 04-04-2018 07:44 AM

Hostess Master Checklist

Here’s one for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381574866838

It seems the Suzy Q panels may have only been released in 1977.

gzman 04-04-2018 08:32 AM

Gotta say, the 2018 Suzy Qs are basically Devil Dogs under the Hostess brand..nothing like the 1970s-80's versions which had a deep, moist texture and taste...the two pack was my favorite from the college dorm vending machine!

savedfrommyspokes 04-04-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 1764206)
Here’s one for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381574866838

It seems the Suzy Q panels may have only been released in 1977.

Thank you Joe, this is no doubt what I have run across with some(Suzy-Q?) cards appearing to be Twinkies but cut too close and not appearing to have the black bar.

My SCD VBC mentions that the cards were found not only on Twinkies, but on Hostess cupcakes also. It mentions that the numbering was as follows: 1-30 and 111-150 are Twinkies panels and 31-135 are Cupcake panels. So an overlap would appear to be from 111 to 135.

However, there is no mention of Suzy-Q in the VBC. I did find an image of a complete box of Suzy Qs and there are no black bars present.

http://theyountcollector.blogspot.co...-full-box.html

Still none of this explains why the two Monday cards have the bars in different spots.

darkhorse9 04-04-2018 08:45 AM

I've been battling the 1977 Hostess set since it originally came out. The problem is the individual cards. There are six different formats in which they were released. Some cards were issued in multiple formats base on the product (Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Cupcakes, Sno Balls etc).

My master collection is close to complete, missing some of the extra wide panels from the high number cards.

You can see the frustration in this thread
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...s+case+hostess

That being said, the L shaped panels are not for every panel. Only selected ones. I'll have to check what I have when I get home but I have the run of them from 1976. I haven't tried the later years. Off the top of my head I would say there are maybe a dozen panels that come L shaped. All of the L shaped are also available in straight panels.

I have not noticed either a premium or a markdown for the L Shaped panels. Set collectors hate them because they break up the symmetry.

Hxcmilkshake 04-04-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzman (Post 1764224)
Gotta say, the 2018 Suzy Qs are basically Devil Dogs under the Hostess brand..nothing like the 1970s-80's versions which had a deep, moist texture and taste...the two pack was my favorite from the college dorm vending machine!

Lol!!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JollyElm 04-04-2018 04:35 PM

Try being out here in California. All of the great stuff I grew up eating, like Yodels and Ring Dings, have completely different names in the supermarket. Things like Ho-Ho's and Ding Dongs and lord knows what else. I'm like, "WTF is going on???!!!!"

mybestbretts 04-04-2018 06:29 PM

Hostess

Also some came with what i call brown backs. Lettering was brown as i recall. They are mentioned in the catalogs but psa does not recognize them.

4reals 04-05-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1764226)
My SCD VBC mentions that the cards were found not only on Twinkies, but on Hostess cupcakes also. It mentions that the numbering was as follows: 1-30 and 111-150 are Twinkies panels and 31-135 are Cupcake panels. So an overlap would appear to be from 111 to 135.

This number outline is very helpful, thank you. Perhaps they were Cupcakes as the SCD says and not Suzy Q's. Not sure where the Suzy Q thing started but when I purchased my Rick Monday variation it is what was in the title like the one Probstein is selling.

Edit: But is the #s 31-135 for cupcakes from 1977? That wouldn't make sense for the Monday card because it's number 30.

Edit #2: Here's a thought...maybe BOTH of my Monday cards are Twinkies. Maybe there were packages wrapped with a single twinkie and packages wrapped with two? The stains on the one def look like chocolate though.

Exhibitman 04-07-2018 12:38 AM

The brown backs are seemingly random and they are tough. I basically stumbled across mine.

savedfrommyspokes 04-12-2018 08:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 1764807)
This number outline is very helpful, thank you. Perhaps they were Cupcakes as the SCD says and not Suzy Q's. Not sure where the Suzy Q thing started but when I purchased my Rick Monday variation it is what was in the title like the one Probstein is selling.

Edit: But is the #s 31-135 for cupcakes from 1977? That wouldn't make sense for the Monday card because it's number 30.

Edit #2: Here's a thought...maybe BOTH of my Monday cards are Twinkies. Maybe there were packages wrapped with a single twinkie and packages wrapped with two? The stains on the one def look like chocolate though.

I am still confused also about what is what with the 77s.

I recently bought a lot advertised as Twinkies, but I do not feel they are Twinkies, but Cupcakes. The cards from the lot all fall within the # range of 32-132, which matches what the SCD mentions about the Cupcake cards. Attached are the backs of 3 different Lou Brock cards ....all cards are the same width. The first is the back of the regular Hostess card. The second card is not a Hostess or Twinkies card (at least according to the #) but has the black bar visible on bottom edge, and staining on card. The final back appears to be the Cupcake lot...the bar is present, but the font size on the back is significantly smaller than the Twinkies or Hostess font.

So what is this Brock card...could it be a Cupcake with a different font, or from a whole other product?

So, your Monday card would not be a Cupcake card as it likely does not exist in a Cupcake version(based on the # ranges). It still does not match the back of the Suzy-Q cards present on the complete box....possibly a 5th product? (1. Hostess, 2. Twinkies, 3. Cupcakes, 4. Suzy-Q, 5. ????). As you mention, it could be a Twinkie product wrapped differently.

JTysver 04-12-2018 12:58 PM

The Bold Type cards are Twinkies for 1977, or to put it more simply, they had or have black bars on them.

From numbers 135-150, the only cards that exist are cards with the bars farther away from the cards. Because of this, when they are cut to size they are harder to find. Not exactly sure what product they were in, but I do Know that it wasn't widely distributed. If you find cards that are bold type from 135-150, those are the Twinkie cards and they have or had bars on them.

I also know that some of the cards from 1977 were included in Vending Machines as well. These are the ones which are vertical shaped. Often you can find strips of these with cards being placed vertically.

David W 04-12-2018 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the fronts and backs of 3 77 Hostess Brocks for comparison. There may be other differences but I frankly got tired of looking for them.

David W 04-12-2018 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just found some more scans, these have printers marks on them.

4reals 05-06-2018 11:08 PM

Interesting, thanks for the input thusfar.