Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1993 Jeter SP ... some questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228337)

Neal 09-09-2016 01:24 PM

1993 Jeter SP ... some questions

I am not at all familiar with this card, other than seeing it often on dealer advertisements in the SMR, so bear with me :)

What are the issues to look for?

Does the surface show print marks? It appears that on most every Jeter I have just looked at on eBay (PSA and BGS) there appear to be marks. I also recognize that these can simply be from a scan, as it appears the background of the card would emphasize even the smallest bit of "dust" on the scanner glass, or the slightest scuff to the holder ....

Does the actual image of Jeter at times be "unfocused" or out of registration?

I may be in the market for a PSA 8 level, so I figured to ask the good folks here as to what to look for

Thanks in advance

CW 09-09-2016 01:42 PM

Scratches, nicks, and marks on the foil surface is what it's all about, and one of the main reasons so few 10's exist. The problem is it can be tough to judge the surface of this card from a scan. It can be tough to get a good scan, plus dust on the holder and scanner bed can be deceiving. You'd also want to look for a lower left corner showing little to no white (same with the rear lower right corner).

Rookiemonster 09-09-2016 01:47 PM

It's like a piece of aluminum foil on a thin piece of cardboard . It scuffs very easy, the corner can get dinged just by looking to long . The scuffs are hard to see when not in hand . I once seen one that looked nice but on closer inspection
It looked pitted .

alfredoleal2001 09-09-2016 02:22 PM

yeah like they said the aluminum look to it can easily fall off the cardboard, its very hard to find a 10.......... And by the way, prices of this card have skyrocketed these past few months!!!

alfredoleal2001 09-09-2016 03:37 PM

wow they have kept going up since the last time I checked!!!! holy cow!!! I just checked PSA 9 and BGS 9 and cant believe what their going for!!!

swarmee 09-10-2016 05:16 AM

The other big thing to consider is that the card was regularly cut short from the factory, and PSA will send them back ungraded because of "MINSIZREQ" (it didn't meet the minimum size for this set). So people who try PSA and don't get a grade normally send it in to BGS. Many BGS cards that are 9s won't cross to a PSA 9 because of this.

Neal 09-10-2016 05:20 AM

Thanks fellas, I learned quite a bit .... great looking card!

If I buy one, it most likely would be PSA graded already.

chaddurbin 09-10-2016 09:19 AM

didn't know beckett was getting a bad rep with modern stuff, but it makes sense since the opc hockey sheet cut 9.5s has been going on for years...guess it trickled to other cards.

i'm still surprised at the surge in price of this card tho. his induction won't be for another 4 years, he's not making baseball news anymore, and most of his auto stuff has been lagging...this card is the outlier.

drcy 09-10-2016 09:00 PM

If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?

Neal 09-11-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1583692)
If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?

Not necessarily, and it doesn't really make sense to me why PSA won't grade them. They have the mylar insert for these examples, and they were not altered

I was not aware that there was a size variance on this issue like I am with other issues that have a size variance(SGC will grade those issues like 1957 Topps and PSA won't)

JustinD 09-11-2016 08:36 AM

I would wait to buy for at least a year on this one.

Jeter is still too fresh in people's minds for it to be a good time. Prices will drop by this time next year as the memory fades and then rocket the year prior and the year of his eligibility. Play the sweet spot on the modern cards.

bbcard1 09-16-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1583805)
I would wait to buy for at least a year on this one.

Jeter is still too fresh in people's minds for it to be a good time. Prices will drop by this time next year as the memory fades and then rocket the year prior and the year of his eligibility. Play the sweet spot on the modern cards.

Probably good advice on a card that is by no means scarce. I am trying to take that advice myself.

Neal 09-16-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1585447)
Probably good advice on a card that is by no means scarce. I am trying to take that advice myself.

agreed

Peter_Spaeth 09-23-2016 07:40 AM

I would buy a Beckett graded one with a high surface score. From what I can tell except perhaps at the ultra high end PSA doesn't really consider scratches and scuffs on the foil and it can be hard to see them on scans. Better yet I wouldn't buy one at all, for a fraction of the cost you can get better looking rookies like Stadium Club and Pinnacle.

Neal 01-12-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1587693)
I would buy a Beckett graded one with a high surface score. From what I can tell except perhaps at the ultra high end PSA doesn't really consider scratches and scuffs on the foil and it can be hard to see them on scans. Better yet I wouldn't buy one at all, for a fraction of the cost you can get better looking rookies like Stadium Club and Pinnacle.

Interestingly enough, I was looking at BGS 8.5s and 9s in recent days ... primarily at the surface subgrade. The difference in price between PSA and BGS is astonishing. Not sure if it is due to popularity or what has been mentioned here regarding factory cuts. Either way, I feel a purchase is imminent lol.

Certainly an iconic modern card for sure

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2017 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I partially took my own advice, on the surface score. :D

Neal 01-12-2017 04:04 PM

Nicely done

Rookiemonster 01-12-2017 05:46 PM

Great example peter

rp12367 01-12-2017 09:29 PM

X3 nice card

RayBShotz 01-22-2017 10:03 AM

Sweet Jete Peter!

Wannabeoldschool 01-23-2017 01:25 PM

That's nice! What avenue did you purchase the card through?

KingFisk 01-29-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1619865)
Well I partially took my own advice, on the surface score. :D

Given the staggering price differential between a PSA 9 and a BGS 9, any thought to trying for a crossover? I am asking because I have a BGS 9 with the same subs and I have been toying with crossover attempt..though still gun-shy after PSA killed my Ryan/Koosman MB, and this particular card is extremely delicate. Either way, beautiful card, Peter.

irv 01-29-2017 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't recall purchasing this pack of 93 Pinnacle's, but it was a nice surprise, when going through some older material that I purchased years ago, to find this Jeter RC. :)

KingFisk 02-05-2017 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1583354)
The other big thing to consider is that the card was regularly cut short from the factory, and PSA will send them back ungraded because of "MINSIZREQ" (it didn't meet the minimum size for this set). So people who try PSA and don't get a grade normally send it in to BGS. Many BGS cards that are 9s won't cross to a PSA 9 because of this.

I was never aware of this and it got me wondering if there is a particular red flag on the card for PSA, aside from an actual measurement. It seems the shortness is most pronounced on the ball and the NY on Jeter's cap. My two Jeters are in the pic. I can only measure about a 1/64th difference in the size of my cards, but clearly the ball is clipped off in my Beckett...which is the nicer overall card of the two I own (PSA 8.5 and Beckett 9). My PSA has an awful surface blemish that always bugged me so I ended up eventually getting the other one. Now I am bugged about the size, haha. I still think it is in the threshold of "acceptable" size, but who knows.

JoeDfan 02-05-2017 09:48 AM

I just got back 2 from PSA, and your photo made me look at mine. I see that I have both versions of the trim, and PSA graded both.
But now the versions are bugging ME. Hahaha.

swarmee 02-05-2017 11:15 AM

Well, if they both measure properly, that's just a case of off-centering. Not really a variation.

KingFisk 02-05-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 1627719)
I just got back 2 from PSA, and your photo made me look at mine. I see that I have both versions of the trim, and PSA graded both.
But now the versions are bugging ME. Hahaha.

Ha...did you submit them raw or were they crossovers?

bnorth 02-06-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1627872)
Ha...did you submit them raw or were they crossovers?

He submitted them raw.

RayBShotz 02-08-2017 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
eBay scan. Pulled the trigger on this today.
Just didn't seem right that this card wasn't in my collection.
Jeter has meant so much to me and my daughter in the trajectory of our lives as baseball fans.
Feeling at peace now.
RayB

Peter_Spaeth 02-08-2017 04:20 PM

Tough grade on that one.

Rookiemonster 02-08-2017 04:33 PM

I like that it has a half grade though.

Neal 02-08-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1628822)
Tough grade on that one.

agreed

Nice card, Ray .... SP set in the future? ;)

Neal 02-09-2017 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
followed Ray's lead, as well as my own thread .... eBay 10% last night called me lol

Attachment 260904

seller sent me a few more scans, so I believe it is a solid 8

RayBShotz 02-09-2017 12:29 PM

Atta Boy!

aconte 02-09-2017 01:21 PM

Nice Jeters.

KingFisk 02-10-2017 07:00 PM

Nice cards, guys! Surfaces look nice on those scans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk