Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Heritage Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268237)

groundskeeper 04-21-2019 04:56 PM

Heritage Auctions

Man, I bid and won a card on this site just recently. Thought everything was cool until they hit me with the invoice-- SALES TAX.

I'm totally bummed because I guess this is my fault but they keep that pretty secret. They tell you the price with the premium under every bid, but when you have 9% sales tax on top of THAT, then it kind of matters. I would never have gone so high on the card and now I am sad.

Every time I buy a card over $3000 I almost always get hit with some kind of "I was scammed" feeling.

Republicaninmass 04-21-2019 05:08 PM

Yep, a cruel world in which we live. I'd love to see the reciept of them sending it along to the state.

Leon 04-21-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1871970)
Yep, a cruel world in which we live. I'd love to see the reciept of them sending it along to the state.

That is ludicrous to say that. They do around a billion dollars a year in sales. I am guessing they have figured it out. That isn't the way smart people or companies make their money (scamming sales tax). It is quite crazy to say that unless you are joking and I don't see a smiley face. They have been in business around 30+ years too (in one form or another). All business in Texas know the State Comptroller doesn't play around. They carry guns.

k.crist 04-21-2019 08:56 PM

Also won my first Heritage item last night and was bummed with the sales tax and $35 shipping for one card. I suppose it’s my fault for not digging into the fine print but it definitely gave me a bad taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapolit1 04-22-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k.crist (Post 1872034)
Also won my first Heritage item last night and was bummed with the sales tax and $35 shipping for one card. I suppose it’s my fault for not digging into the fine print but it definitely gave me a bad taste.

Lucky it wasn't a more valuable card . . .you would have seen a line item for insurance I'm guessing.

All of this is disclosed clearly by Heritage. Sucks but it's all there. We forget many times caught up in the euphoria of try to "win an auction" in the middle of the night. Or morning. I live in Jersey. For LOTG, Goldin, REA I have to assume a 30% vig on top of what I am paying for anything I am lucky enough to "win".

groundskeeper 04-22-2019 08:19 AM

The world of auctions is usually pretty transparent about pricing-- that's why invoice charges are really sneaky. No other way to say it. Lesson learned. I'll just never EVER buy from them again-- I'll stick to the auction houses that somehow manage to operate without charging sales tax.

Leon 04-22-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundskeeper (Post 1872090)
The world of auctions is usually pretty transparent about pricing-- that's why invoice charges are really sneaky. No other way to say it. Lesson learned. I'll just never EVER buy from them again-- I'll stick to the auction houses that somehow manage to operate without charging sales tax.

At some point in the not too distant future, my guess is, they (AH's) will all have to charge sales tax. We just need to figure it into our equation. As far as being sneaky it is on the buyers ignorance for not knowing. I have made the mistake too but it wasn't the other parties fault, it was mine. To each their own....

dgtom 04-22-2019 11:12 AM

If you set up a vault account with PWCC, you can have the card shipped to them and placed in storage with them, and you’ll pay no sales tax, because Oregon is sales tax exempt.

1952boyntoncollector 04-22-2019 11:38 AM

its been long discussed on this board about sales tax with Heritage..people have asked which states does it apply too and the like

I know i dont bid on there anymore due to the tax

Yastrzemski Sports 04-22-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k.crist (Post 1872034)

You are in Connecticut and they don’t have a presence there. Why did they charge you tax?

groundskeeper 04-22-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgtom (Post 1872116)
If you set up a vault account with PWCC, you can have the card shipped to them and placed in storage with them, and you’ll pay no sales tax, because Oregon is sales tax exempt.

WOW good idea!

clydepepper 04-22-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundskeeper (Post 1872129)
WOW good idea!

Yet another sign of the apocalypse: Cardboard-Based IRAs.

Republicaninmass 04-22-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1872128)
You are in Connecticut and they don’t have a presence there. Why did they charge you tax?

the "voluntarily" collect it in some states where they don't have a presence

k.crist 04-22-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1872128)

As someone pointed out above me, I think they voluntarily do it on CT behalf. eBay also just started collecting sales tax this month for those living here, so I suppose it’s inevitable that this policy will continue to expand in the future.

Definitely makes me re-think the way I purchase cards moving forward. I think using the buy/sell boards here and other places might be the best bet.

pawpawdiv9 04-22-2019 01:10 PM

There was a update about a month or so ago on new cities that will be sales taxes. Georgia was one, so i am aware to be cautious. Just bid accordingly.

Mike Roche 04-25-2019 11:26 PM

I won an auction with them about two years ago. When I win the auction, I was living in Nevada but moved to New York shortly after. Three months after I won the auction, paid for it, and received the item they hit me up saying I owed sales tax because I was now living in New York. I exchanged a few choice words over email and haven’t used them since

Stonepony 04-28-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Roche (Post 1872921)
I won an auction with them about two years ago. When I win the auction, I was living in Nevada but moved to New York shortly after. Three months after I won the auction, paid for it, and received the item they hit me up saying I owed sales tax because I was now living in New York. I exchanged a few choice words over email and haven’t used them since

Should we assumed they’ve reimbursed sales taxes those those who have moved to non taxable states?:)

Republicaninmass 04-28-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1873357)
Should we assumed they’ve reimbursed sales taxes those those who have moved to non taxable states?:)

Of course, that ludicrous to say otherwise. They are a billion dollar company

bobbyw8469 04-28-2019 09:52 PM

I used to win stuff from them all the time. Since they implemented sales tax in my state, I won exactly ONE lot from them since them. With the sales tax involved, I have to pretty much get a super steal to win a Heritage item now. And with the competition from non sales tax states, that is few and far between now.