Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   First snowfall (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=261896)

bnorth 11-08-2018 06:33 PM

First snowfall

1 Attachment(s)
We got our first dusting of snow today. Didn't this stuff just melt from last winter. Time sure flies when you get older.:)

RedsFan1941 11-08-2018 07:01 PM

you got a lot of snow. totally covered fred and lamont's truck.

bnorth 11-08-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1825683)
you got a lot of snow. totally covered fred and lamont's truck.

LOL, the one in the pic is a 1950. Fred's a 1951. It is my brothers pickup, I am using it to move some stuff. It looks beat now but about 30 years ago it had a complete frame off restoration.

frankbmd 11-08-2018 08:50 PM

My gosh, you have paved roads.:eek:

KCRfan1 11-09-2018 12:29 AM

Tell more about the truck and post more pics! I don't care about the snow due to where I live. 🌅🌴

irv 11-09-2018 08:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1825680)
We got our first dusting of snow today. Didn't this stuff just melt from last winter. Time sure flies when you get older.:)

It just started snowing here today for the first time this fall. Other parts of Ontario have received some decent amounts but all has melted now.

Only suppose to be +2 to +3 celcius this weekend and I don't even have snow tires put on any of the vehicles yet! :mad:

Our fall, so far, has been colder, windier and rainier than most falls in the past which has really screwed me up for getting things done.

I managed to get the front lawn raked yesterday but my backyard is still full.
A lot of trees around here still haven't even shed their leaves yet!

Nice truck, btw, Ben. Is that a 4x4 or does it just sit higher than normal.

I have a 74 Monte Carlo that has sat in my garage for over 15 years now. I cooked the engine that long ago and never got around to looking at it again due to having kids and everything else associated with that.
I am hoping either next year, or the year after that, when I am fully retired to get back at it again.
It's going to cost some bucks but at least I should have the time, I hope?

Peter_Spaeth 11-09-2018 10:32 AM

The Springsteen line comes to mind: And I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car.

KCRfan1 11-09-2018 01:16 PM

Dale that's a fantastic Monte!

silvor 11-09-2018 03:59 PM

Snowed here, about and inch maybe 45 minutes south of Minneapolis. I guess people forgot how to drive in the snow, so there were lots of accidents. :rolleyes:

That '74 Monte is cool! I had a '75 in high school. Lots of fun in that car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1825764)
It just started snowing here today for the first time this fall. Other parts of Ontario have received some decent amounts but all has melted now.

Only suppose to be +2 to +3 celcius this weekend and I don't even have snow tires put on any of the vehicles yet! :mad:

Our fall, so far, has been colder, windier and rainier than most falls in the past which has really screwed me up for getting things done.

I have a 74 Monte Carlo that has sat in my garage for over 15 years now. I cooked the engine that long ago and never got around to looking at it again due to having kids and everything else associated with that.
I am hoping either next year, or the year after that, when I am fully retired to get back at it again.

bnorth 11-09-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1825719)
Tell more about the truck and post more pics! I don't care about the snow due to where I live. 🌅🌴

I will post a few pics this weekend. The truck is my younger brothers. I believe he bought the 2 trucks when he was a sophomore in HS. It took him about a year to do a complete rebuild in my house. Seriously, I lived in a crappy old trailer house with a wood addition built on the side of it. We cut a door into the front of the addition and he rebuilt the truck in there.

The body is a 1950 Ford and the frame/running gear is a mid-70's Ford 4X4 Camper Special. He put a new crate 351CI engine in it. Because the newer truck has a longer frame he built the storage box between the cab and box so the wheels lined up with the wheel wells. This thing was like brand new when he was done. He kinda drove it for a few years but mostly just sets in his driveway. It has just over 16,000 miles on it since the complete restoration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1825764)

Nice car Dale, one of my best friends had a blue 74 Monte Carlo in HS.

Peter_Spaeth 11-09-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvor (Post 1825856)
Snowed here, about and inch maybe 45 minutes south of Minneapolis. I guess people forgot how to drive in the snow, so there were lots of accidents. :rolleyes:

One of the worst blizzards I ever drove in was from Des Moines to Minneapolis going to the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight into anyplace closer than Des Moines. Wasn't too bad right out of Des Moines but quickly deteriorated. Blinding snow when it came straight at you. Trucks flying by, completely indifferent to the conditions. I was driving, my brother's sitting next to me drinking beer, I'm scared shitless, he says just go straight there's no curves in the road.

bnorth 11-09-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1825885)
One of the worst blizzards I ever drove in was from Des Moines to Minneapolis going to the 1991 Super Bowl. Could not get a flight into anyplace closer than Des Moines. Wasn't too bad right out of Des Moines but quickly deteriorated. Blinding snow when it came straight at you. Trucks flying by, completely indifferent to the conditions. I was driving, my brother's sitting next to me drinking beer, I'm scared shitless, he says just go straight there's no curves in the road.

Sounds like a fun road trip Peter.:)

I did something very similar. In 2000 I was making my first trip to Europe. It is a 300 mile drive from here to MSP to catch our flight. A blizzard come out of nowhere the night before we had our flight and was supposed to last for 12+ hours. So we left that night and it took us all of that 12 hours to drive 300 miles. It was scary as hell and really fun at the same time.:)

silvor 11-09-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1825885)

Should have stuck around a few months. Halloween '91 is one we still talk about.

Peter_Spaeth 11-09-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvor (Post 1825903)
Should have stuck around a few months. Halloween '91 is one we still talk about.

Boston is cold enough, thank you. I've never been so cold as every time I stepped outside that weekend. As I recall it was maybe a block from the end of that indoor walkway system (VERY cool by the way) to the stadium and it was a near death experience. I think I got frostbite going from the parking lot of the art museum to the entrance. LOL.

pokerplyr80 11-11-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

That happened every year in WI too. You'd think people would remember to slow down. I definitely don't miss the snow out here in socal.

frankbmd 11-11-2018 10:46 AM

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,

but more of the former recently.:eek:

KCRfan1 11-11-2018 10:50 AM

Jesse I believe the same rule of thumb applies in SoCal when it comes to driving in rain ( as opposed to snow ), as infrequent as rain may be here......

bnorth 11-11-2018 04:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1825719)

Here is 3 more pics.

KCRfan1 11-12-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1826363)
Here is 3 more pics.

That's so fun!

JollyElm 11-12-2018 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the left, what winter always was for me...on the right, what winter looks like now...

Attachment 334016 :D:D:D

bnorth 11-12-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1826563)
On the left, what winter always was for me...on the right, what winter looks like now...

Nice change Darren.:) I am a year or 2 away from doing the same.

pokerplyr80 11-12-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1826563)

Looks familiar. Although quite a few people I know out here are either leaving or want to leave due to CA politics and the high cost of homes. Idaho seems to be a popular destination of late.

irv 11-17-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1825827)
Dale that's a fantastic Monte!

Thanks Lou. :)

Quote:

Thanks Silvor. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1825877)
I will post a few pics this weekend. The truck is my younger brothers. I believe he bought the 2 trucks when he was a sophomore in HS. It took him about a year to do a complete rebuild in my house. Seriously, I lived in a crappy old trailer house with a wood addition built on the side of it. We cut a door into the front of the addition and he rebuilt the truck in there.

The body is a 1950 Ford and the frame/running gear is a mid-70's Ford 4X4 Camper Special. He put a new crate 351CI engine in it. Because the newer truck has a longer frame he built the storage box between the cab and box so the wheels lined up with the wheel wells. This thing was like brand new when he was done. He kinda drove it for a few years but mostly just sets in his driveway. It has just over 16,000 miles on it since the complete restoration.

Nice car Dale, one of my best friends had a blue 74 Monte Carlo in HS.

Thanks Ben, and thanks for sharing more pics of your truck. :)