Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   MLB Fields;Stadiums named after Corporations: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227510)

clydepepper 08-25-2016 06:48 AM

MLB Fields;Stadiums named after Corporations:

This got old real quick, but they do pay the bills for the 'honor'.

However, today comes word that U.S. Cellular Field will become, starting in November, Guaranteed Rate Field - probably the worst (IMO) version of this type labeling.

Does anyone like that new name?

Comments?

frankbmd 08-25-2016 07:18 AM

Guaranteed Rate Field is better than Net Zero Field in my opinion.

bnorth 08-25-2016 12:52 PM

Stadium names are usually just who will pay the most. Although a stadium here is South Dakota just flat out said they would not put Dollar Loan Center on it. They advertise that they only charge $1 per day Per $100 dollar borrowed.LOL Not bad interest.:rolleyes:

They instead went with Denny Sanford Premier Center. Yes the guy that has the worst credit card ever.

Beatles Guy 08-25-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1576712)
This got old real quick, but they do pay the bills for the 'honor'.

However, today comes word that U.S. Cellular Field will become, starting in November, Guaranteed Rate Field - probably the worst (IMO) version of this type labeling.

Does anyone like that new name?

Comments?

I work with Guaranteed Rate on a near daily basis and a stadium named after them makes me sick to my stomach.

bravos4evr 08-25-2016 04:20 PM

Way I look at it, unless your team is one of the big market teams, any extra $$$ that they can generate is a good thing.

Tom S. 08-25-2016 08:59 PM

They can re-name it whatever they want...I still call it Comiskey Park. ;)

Tennis13 08-25-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom S. (Post 1577079)
They can re-name it whatever they want...I still call it Comiskey Park. ;)

So, sports fans on radio/internet are generally very touchy and willing to jump down your throat about any factual error. Like begging to argue. However when I post New Shea or New Comiskey or Giants Stadium, I find that's the one factual error they let slde. Nobody wants to play the role of corporate schill. on a scale od 1 to Darren Rovell on the corporate shill list, people are way closer to 1.

I never understood why broadcasters felt the need to parrot the corproate name, unless they had league or team broadcast right and had to. But Channel 8 doing a recap doesn't need to, unless they want to follow the letter of the law for factual journalism, which is like arresting Al Capone cor tax evasion at this stage with the modern media's current exhibition of proper ethics of journalism.

There was a crazy dude I used to work with -- Chris Thomas at WFLA-- who was the only guy I knew way back in 1997 that flipped the bird to this stuff. Undortunately, he is dead now.

RTK 08-26-2016 08:08 AM

Typical White Sox Fail.

RaidonCollects 08-26-2016 11:58 AM

I don't agree with ball-parks that use sponsored names, I just think it's better to name it after someone or something. Even "Great American Ballpark" isn't named after great American's, it's named after the "Great American insurance company."

Better names for ballparks just off the top of my head:

-Lincoln Stadium
-All-Star Park
-Franklin Field
-Golden Gate Stadium

-Owen

Tripredacus 08-26-2016 02:31 PM

I don't really care what a stadium is called, I just do not like the fact that they change names so often.

Tennis13 08-26-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidonCollects (Post 1577352)
I don't agree with ball-parks that use sponsored names, I just think it's better to name it after someone or something. Even "Great American Ballpark" isn't named after great American's, it's named after the "Great American insurance company."

Better names for ballparks just off the top of my head:

-Lincoln Stadium
-All-Star Park
-Franklin Field
-Golden Gate Stadium

-Owen

You know, all these years I thought it was named after the Six Flags Great America theme park. Learned something new tonight.