Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Falling further out of the loop (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267583)

Snapolit1 04-03-2019 05:22 AM

Falling further out of the loop

I used to feel like I had a solid grip on popular culture, particularly music, but now days some celebrity (or alleged celebrity) dies every other day and I’ve never heard of them. Not once. Ever. I wonder what age it is that someone shows up and quietly pulls your card and from that point on you are just officially out of the loop and perpetually unconnected.

Peter_Spaeth 04-03-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1867384)
I used to feel like I had a solid grip on popular culture, particularly music, but now days some celebrity (or alleged celebrity) dies every other day and I’ve never heard of them. Not once. Ever. I wonder what age it is that someone shows up and quietly pulls your card and from that point on you are just officially out of the loop and perpetually unconnected.

I was pretty out of touch by my mid 40s I would say.

frankbmd 04-03-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1867415)
I was pretty out of touch by my mid 40s I would say.

The great thing about Alzheimer’s is all the new people you meet every day.;)

commishbob 04-03-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867426)

I’m here in the Texas Senate gallery listening to them drone on about procedural stuff and I LOL’d. Showed my wife and she laughed even louder. I think we’re gonna get tossed outta here��

buymycards 04-03-2019 10:24 AM

Out of touch

Back in the 80's and 90's my kids told me that I was out of touch. Now my grandchildren politely giggle and tell me that I am out of touch. The last time I was "in touch" was when the Beatles arrived in America. Since then it has been downhill.

packs 04-03-2019 11:57 AM

Better to be out of touch than desperate to be young.

Leon 04-03-2019 12:14 PM

I was in touch in the 70s then I tuned out.

clydepepper 04-03-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1867468)
Better to be out of touch than desperate to be young.

Luke Appling wasn't and isn't the only one who should:

"Embrace Your Ole' Aches & Pains"

clydepepper 04-03-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867426)

...and Easter Egg Hunts!

todeen 04-03-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1867384)

Are you wondering who Nipsey Hussle is? I don't know either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

frankbmd 04-03-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1867502)

Isn’t he that dude in the empire of Chicago?

Snapolit1 04-03-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1867502)

LOL. But I know who Nipsey Russell was. Funny guy.

Butch7999 04-03-2019 10:14 PM

Relax, it all more than evens out. Most of us know of most everybody from ancient Greece to mediaeval England
to the Civil War to silent movies to the big band era to yesterday, politicians and writers and artists and athletes
and singers and actors. Ask most people under 40 and they've never heard of anyone from before 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6rPdtDwbE

ALBB 04-04-2019 05:25 AM

falling out

every time I see /hear this Nipsy Hussle thing ..I keep think ..Oh Nipsy Russell ? ..he died ?..I thought he was dead already ?..he was funny ??

Clueless !!!

Jim65 04-04-2019 11:18 AM

I'm glad I'm out of the loop, todays music and tv shows are pure crap.

Wow, I sound like my Dad when I came home sporting a mohawk listening to Black Flag records. lol

frankbmd 04-04-2019 02:26 PM

Out of the loop is synonymous with irrelevance from a generational perspective.

The nine stages of life

Diapers
Mobility
Schooling
Knowing it All
Knowing you didn't know it all.
Knowing you know less than you once knew.
Retirement
Immobility
Depends

Snapolit1 04-04-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1867708)
Out of the loop is synonymous with irrelevance from a generational perspective.

The nine stages of life

Diapers
Mobility
Schooling
Knowing it All
Knowing you didn't know it all.
Knowing you know less than you once knew.
Retirement
Immobility
Depends

I think Bill Shakespeare had a similar take on it.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-04-2019 05:49 PM

Saw a bumper sticker today:

"I use to be cool"

At first I thought "Nice grammar, moron"

Then I realized "Maybe they're just bragging about doing drugs."

insidethewrapper 04-05-2019 01:20 PM

I'm still in the loop. I listen to Siriusxm Channel 18 The Beatles Channel. Hard to listen to anyone else after growing up with The Beatles.

Huysmans 04-05-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1867659)
I'm glad I'm out of the loop, todays music and tv shows are pure crap.

Wow, I sound like my Dad when I came home sporting a mohawk listening to Black Flag records. lol

If you sported a mohawk and listened to Black Flag...
you can at least take solace in the fact that you used to be cool.

RTK 04-06-2019 08:56 AM

I lost it when rap & hip hop became the mainstream music that kids listened to. My musical tastes always leaned towards "Alt" whether it be rock or stripped down acoustic stuff. Then record/CD stores died off. Thank god for satellite radio. Then Netflix Hulu, streaming became a thing...meh. I'm not into science fiction, comics adaptations or horror and that also became a trend...more meh. Thank god for books ....that you now pretty much have to buy online because you can hardly find a bookstore...

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-06-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 1868060)
I lost it when rap & hip hop became the mainstream music that kids listened to. My musical tastes always leaned towards "Alt" whether it be rock or stripped down acoustic stuff. Then record/CD stores died off. Thank god for satellite radio. Then Netflix Hulu, streaming became a thing...meh. I'm not into science fiction, comics adaptations or horror and that also became a trend...more meh. Thank god for books ....that you now pretty much have to buy online because you can hardly find a bookstore...

The curmudgeon is strong with this one... :)

Jim65 04-06-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1868001)
If you sported a mohawk and listened to Black Flag...
you can at least take solace in the fact that you used to be cool.

In the years since, hardcore punk has become more mainstream but believe me, in 1980 we were considered freaks. :)

RTK 04-07-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1868072)
The curmudgeon is strong with this one... :)

:D comes with age

seanofjapan 04-07-2019 07:48 PM

I'm doubly cursed.

I'm in my 40s and I've spent most of my adult life living in Japan. So whenever I talk to a 20 year old from the US, I'm never sure if my lack of familiarity with contemporary pop culture that they know is because I'm old or if its because I have been physically distant from North American society for so long.

I'm a university professor who teaches mostly exchange students, so this is an almost daily conversation I have with myself. My pop culture references are only current to about the year 2000, which is actually before most members of the first year students were even born now.

Michael B 04-08-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1868083)
In the years since, hardcore punk has become more mainstream but believe me, in 1980 we were considered freaks. :)

Henry Rollins is still relevant. He is curating vinyl reissues for Sounds of Vinyl and recently published a book of his photography. I was listening to punk in the 70's. Heard the Pistols in 1976. I did not wear the 'uniform', but those at the shows did not care.

orioles93 05-01-2019 12:05 AM

I'm not even old yet, i'm 26, but I am a manager at a country club and a lot of my employees are in the 16-23 age range, and I sometimes feel out of touch. I'm only 4 years out of college and sometimes these high school and college kids talk about stuff and i feel really dumb not knowing what they're talking about.

darwinbulldog 05-02-2019 02:34 PM

It doesn't surprise me when I'm unfamiliar with the music my students are listening to, though I do like a fair amount of recent music for a middle-aged guy, but I am still surprised on occasion at how few of the students are familiar with certain celebrities from the last few decades. We asked like half a dozen students in the building the other day, and none of them had any idea who Alanis Morisette was. These are university students. I realize she wasn't on the same tier of fame with Madonna and Marilyn Monroe, but I think if I'd asked the same thing 10 years ago all of them would have known who she was.

Butch7999 05-02-2019 06:25 PM

You've actually met current college students who know who Marilyn Monroe is?

On a related issue: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252257

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1874533)
It doesn't surprise me when I'm unfamiliar with the music my students are listening to, though I do like a fair amount of recent music for a middle-aged guy, but I am still surprised on occasion at how few of the students are familiar with certain celebrities from the last few decades. We asked like half a dozen students in the building the other day, and none of them had any idea who Alanis Morisette was. These are university students. I realize she wasn't on the same tier of fame with Madonna and Marilyn Monroe, but I think if I'd asked the same thing 10 years ago all of them would have known who she was.

I doubt I could name 5 post-2000 songs.

Leon 05-04-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874680)
I doubt I could name 5 post-2000 songs.

I can barely name 5 post-1990 MLB'ers .....nor do I care.

pclpads 05-04-2019 11:23 AM

I messaged a friend this week that I couldn't believe Frau Blucher - AKA (Cloris Leachman) - had turned 93. He replied kids today have no idea who Frau Blucher is. Sad, but true. (For those here who don't know, google, or better yet, watch "Young Frankenstein.)

darwinbulldog 05-04-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1875063)
I messaged a friend this week that I couldn't believe Frau Blucher - AKA (Cloris Leachman) - had turned 93. He replied kids today have no idea who Frau Blucher is. Sad, but true. (For those here who don't know, google, or better yet, watch "Young Frankenstein.)

I think it's been a good 25 years since the kids got Frau Blucher references. Same goes for Lilly von Schtupp.

clydepepper 05-04-2019 09:27 PM

"What hump?"

=

Butch7999 05-05-2019 01:10 AM

"What's a 'gub'?"
"You bet your bippy!"
Maude Frickert.
Crazy Guggenheim.
Clem Kadiddlehopper.
Percy Dovetonsils.
Ish Kabibble.

Had an old movie on TV the other night, and the wife of one of the guys here
didn't know who Pinky Lee was. Jeez!

gopherfan 05-11-2019 01:34 PM

A friend of mine told me the other day that your memory is the second thing to go when you get old. I asked what the first was. His response, "I can't remember."

tedzan 05-12-2019 01:39 PM

Don McLean's lyrics in his 1971 song "American Pie" said it best...."the Day the Music Died". Of course he was referring to the accident that ended the lives of Buddy Holly,
Ritchie Valens, and Jiles Perry "The Big Bopper" Richardson in 1959.

In my opinion, "the Day the Music Died" occurred in the mid-to-late 1980's. The music ended when Hall & Oates, Marvin Gaye, Donna Summer, "Blondie", Tina Turner, etc.
were no longer the pop music scene.

TED Z

T206 Reference

barrysloate 05-13-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 1875219)
"What's a 'gub'?"
"You bet your bippy!"
Maude Frickert.
Crazy Guggenheim.
Clem Kadiddlehopper.
Percy Dovetonsils.
Ish Kabibble.

Had an old movie on TV the other night, and the wife of one of the guys here
didn't know who Pinky Lee was. Jeez!

Take the Money and Run
Laugh-In
Jonathan Winters
Frank Fontaine
Red Skelton
Ernie Kovacs
Musician with unkempt hair-when I was a boy and I needed to comb my hair, my mother would say Hey Ish Kabibble and I knew exactly what I needed to do.

P.S. And I didn't google any of them. I'm a bit of a trivia nut.

steve B 05-13-2019 12:27 PM

While I don't really have the sort of encyclopedic memory some have, I have always liked stuff that's older. I was talking about music with one guy I almost ended up having a card shop with, and after a few minutes he said he had just realized I was too young to know the 60's bands I did, and the songs.
I told him that's what records are for :)

We got along pretty well, I would have gone into running the shop, but the guy who was there decided not to go back to teaching. Long term, it worked out well, I was almost certainly not ready back then.

Butch7999 05-16-2019 10:42 AM

'Tweren't a trivia quiz, Barry, but nice goin'. We were just adding to the list of "what hump?" / Frau Blucher / Lily von Schtupp references...

We once worked with an editor -- and this was fifteen, almost twenty years ago -- an editor who didn't recognize the names "Perry Mason"
and "Godzilla." We're paraphrasing clumsily here, but the great Leslie Fiedler said something to the effect of "pop culture is the only real culture."