Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cannibals are coming out because of stocks and virus (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=280633)

CMIZ5290 03-21-2020 05:38 PM

Cannibals are coming out because of stocks and virus

Don't know how many out there are experiencing this, but ridiculous offers are abundant on many items....

bnorth 03-21-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1963889)
Don't know how many out there are experiencing this, but ridiculous offers are abundant on many items....

They are just as bad as the idiots trying to get several times what they stuff is really worth. Both are easy to ignore.:D

Fred 03-21-2020 05:42 PM

What's an example of a ridiculous offer?

CMIZ5290 03-21-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1963891)
They are just as bad as the idiots trying to get several times what they stuff is really worth. Both are easy to ignore.:D

Sorry to hear Bison hunting and ice fishing is slow Ben.....

ullmandds 03-21-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1963891)

Golly, Ben...you and I is just a bunch of bumpkins...we gotsta get over to GA one of these days and see how thay do it in da South!

CMIZ5290 03-21-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1963900)
Golly, Ben...you and I is just a bunch of bumpkins...we gotsta get over to GA one of these days and see how thay do it in da South!

Isn't Broke back Mountain in your guy's territory? :D

scooter729 03-21-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1963892)
What's an example of a ridiculous offer?

I have a $249 BIN or Best Offer item I listed on eBay earlier this week - probably should sell for $175 - $200. I got a $10 offer on it yesterday.

CMIZ5290 03-21-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1963912)
I have a $249 BIN or Best Offer item I listed on eBay earlier this week - probably should sell for $175 - $200. I got a $10 offer on it yesterday.

Yep, there you go....

Tyruscobb 03-21-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

I’m sure that was a joke. I doubt the offerer seriously thought you would accept.

scooter729 03-21-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 1963918)
I’m sure that was a joke. I doubt the offerer seriously thought you would accept.

It was an eBay ID with something like 250 feedback, so not a totally newbie. I just declined, but do people have nothing better to do with their time right now than submit offers of 5% of value?

Tabe 03-21-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

You don't set auto-reject on super-low offers?

JollyElm 03-21-2020 10:14 PM

Couldn't the exact opposite be said? Since the Apocalypse could very well be at hand, and people don't want anything but staples such as food, water and toilet paper at the moment, wouldn't it be very stupid NOT to offer as little as possible for such a non-essential, bat-shit crazy item like a baseball card in this environment?? ;)

Johnny630 03-22-2020 06:02 AM

I believe most Non Auction Real Card Sale Prices will come down.

The god stuff won’t be sold, or won’t be sold cheap.....the meh so so stuff they everyone has or is easily available will come down.

Mike D. 03-22-2020 07:55 AM

Opposite (shiny) side of the same coin...I got a seller offer on a card I was watching for 37% off. Never seen one that big before.

Sadly I missed our to another buyer because I was out doing yard work without my phone!

Mark17 03-22-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1963963)
Couldn't the exact opposite be said? Since the Apocalypse could very well be at hand, and people don't want anything but staples such as food, water and toilet paper at the moment, wouldn't it be very stupid NOT to offer as little as possible for such a non-essential, bat-shit crazy item like a baseball card in this environment?? ;)

Right. Suppose the national emergency gets really bad, for a long time. What's that card's intrinsic value? In other words, what's it worth as toilet paper?

Exhibitman 03-22-2020 09:06 AM

I can see trying it if you have nothing better to do while stuck at home. I spent yesterday breaking down, cleaning and then rebuilding our range top; I would definitely have enjoyed trolling eBay and making lowball offers way more than that. Though it did make my wife very happy to see me cleaning something instead of buying "more damn cards".

cardsnstuff 03-22-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 1963960)

This; is the easiest way to deal with lowballers. Occasionally, I'll look at the auto declines and get a good chuckle.

Fuddjcal 03-22-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1964029)
Right. Suppose the national emergency gets really bad, for a long time. What's that card's intrinsic value? In other words, what's it worth as toilet paper?

I would wipe my Tuchus with the card but the plastic thingy has MySharona all over it...

Tyruscobb 03-22-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1964029)

We’ve had a bull market for over a decade. During this time, 401k and salaries have increased. This, in turn, has increased disposable income for investing or hobby purposes.

Investors and collectors alike have used this disposable income to purchase cards: high-end items for eventual profits, and mid-to-low end items for collecting purposes. This strong demand for cards has sky-rocketed prices.

If this virus continues and we enter an extended recession, 401k values will significantly fall. Moreover, people will lose their jobs. Those that do not have jobs will not have disposable income to spend on cards. Those that do not lose their jobs will save for a rainy day in case they do eventually lose their jobs. They will choose not to spend/invest their disposable income on cards. Cash is king during this period.

The demand for cards will significantly decrease across the board. However, the supply will stay relatively the same. Sure, some will ride it out any pull all their items from eBay, etc. However, those that make a living selling will have no choice but to continue selling. They have bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

Those that lose their jobs will also have bills to pay and mouths to feed. Unemployment insurance benefits only goes so far. To raise funds, these people will eventually sell their cards. They are not going to pay penalties and dip into IRAs and 401ks - or at least what is left of them.

Thus, with demand significantly reduced and supply only slightly reduced, prices will fall. How far is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how many bullets the Fed and government have left in the chamber. They fired a lot of them at the 2008 housing crisis. They have kept this economy propped up for a decade. Money has been cheap. I know the 20s just started, but it feels like the end of the roaring 20s of last century.

This is just a macro view. But, I personally made one last purchase yesterday (a few hundred bucks). I’ve decided to suspend all buying for a while. I suspect others will do the same. Wish everyone good luck during this uncertain time - health and financial wise.

RCMcKenzie 03-22-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 1964067)
Cash is king during this period.

If they print up 4 Trillion dollars and pass it out, won't we see inflation? Couldn't card prices go up, not so much in value, but keeping up with today's dollars?

About low offers...If I have $200 on a card, and you offer $10, don't I counter at $195? It's just business...Rob

Phil68 03-22-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1964035)
I can see trying it if you have nothing better to do while stuck at home. I spent yesterday breaking down, cleaning and then rebuilding our range top; I would definitely have enjoyed trolling eBay and making lowball offers way more than that. Though it did make my wife very happy to see me cleaning something instead of buying "more damn cards".

Funny! How's that range-top lookin'? It'll pay off.....at some point...or not:rolleyes:

Johnny630 03-22-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

We’ve had a bull market for over a decade. During this time, 401k and salaries have increased. This, in turn, has increased disposable income for investing or hobby purposes.

Investors and collectors alike have used this disposable income to purchase cards: high-end items for eventual profits, and mid-to-low end items for collecting purposes. This strong demand for cards has sky-rocketed prices.

If this virus continues and we enter an extended recession, 401k values will significantly fall. Moreover, people will lose their jobs. Those that do not have jobs will not have disposable income to spend on cards. Those that do not lose their jobs will save for a rainy day in case they do eventually lose their jobs. They will choose not to spend/invest their disposable income on cards. Cash is king during this period.

The demand for cards will significantly decrease across the board. However, the supply will stay relatively the same. Sure, some will ride it out any pull all their items from eBay, etc. However, those that make a living selling will have no choice but to continue selling. They have bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

Those that lose their jobs will also have bills to pay and mouths to feed. Unemployment insurance benefits only goes so far. To raise funds, these people will eventually sell their cards. They are not going to pay penalties and dip into IRAs and 401ks - or at least what is left of them.

Thus, with demand significantly reduced and supply only slightly reduced, prices will fall. How far is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how many bullets the Fed and government have left in the chamber. They fired a lot of them at the 2008 housing crisis. They have kept this economy propped up for a decade. Money has been cheap. I know the 20s just started, but it feels like the end of the roaring 20s of last century.

This is just a macro view. But, I personally made one last purchase yesterday (a few hundred bucks). I’ve decided to suspend all buying for a while. I suspect others will do the same. Wish everyone good luck during this uncertain time - health and financial wise.

+1 spot on

Exhibitman 03-22-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil68 (Post 1964092)
Funny! How's that range-top lookin'? It'll pay off.....at some point...or not:rolleyes:

It is so clean you could cook on it! Works a lot better too since I got all of the accumulated gunk off the igniters and leads.

Exhibitman 03-22-2020 01:38 PM

It is all about your timeline. Assuming you can isolate successfully and wait for a vaccine or viable treatment to emerge, the economy will eventually sputter back to life.

Dpeck100 03-22-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1964074)
If they print up 4 Trillion dollars and pass it out, won't we see inflation? Couldn't card prices go up, not so much in value, but keeping up with today's dollars?

About low offers...If I have $200 on a card, and you offer $10, don't I counter at $195? It's just business...Rob

Do the penny counter at $199.99.

They will get the picture.

gawaintheknight 03-22-2020 03:35 PM

+1.

Quote:

thetruthisoutthere 03-22-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 1963960)

I absolutely do that!!!

sreader3 03-22-2020 06:26 PM

This is anecdotal and specific to T206. I have sold cards at full list and received reasonable offers since this black swan started (of course my prices are pretty reasonable to start with). No price deterioration at all.

cardsagain74 03-22-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreader3 (Post 1964211)
This is anecdotal and specific to T206. I have sold cards at full list and received reasonable offers since this black swan started (of course my prices are pretty reasonable to start with). No price deterioration at all.

Same thing I've seen in ebay auctions across the world of post war vintage. You wouldn't even know anything was going on

4reals 03-23-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1964035)

Lol, this made me chuckle. We might be married to the same woman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk