Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Old Football Helmet (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183254)

netennis 02-12-2014 08:32 PM

Old Football Helmet

2 Attachment(s)
I would like information about this old leather helmet that I believe is a spoke type football helmet. It came out of a hardware store that was originally ran by an 85 year old man's father. It has K&G 50 stamped into the top of the helmet. It could be K&C50, but I believe it is the former (see pictures). Have any of you see this particular helmet or do you believe it is an old, unused football helmet? Any help would be appreciated.

MGHPro 02-12-2014 08:40 PM

Doesn't look old to me
Matt

vintagesportflips 02-12-2014 08:59 PM

I am not familiar with a maker with those initials, but I have had an 8 spoke helmet made by a small Philadelphia area maker before, so an unknown maker wouldn't be a surprise. The one I had was sold by a local Philadelphia area hardware store, and marked with the hardware store's name. I agree with Matt that the leather doesn't look old. Any idea how it was found? Stored inside its original box? You would think it would still show drying, or some other aging. Can you show the padding in the interior? In the photo, the little of it that you can see looks like it has some age, but tough to tell in the photo.

pgellis 02-13-2014 06:14 AM

I agree, more photos will help, especially of the inside of the helmet. Photo of the back of the helmet and the chin strap will also be helpful.

iwantitiwinit 02-14-2014 12:16 PM

I don''t beleive this is a vintage helmet. Look at the grain of the leather it looks synthetic. Stitching too uniform and the edges of the leather spokes look too newly/sharply cut. I say its bogus.

Maddog 02-14-2014 12:43 PM

I agree. That is not vintage.
I think I have a good knowledge of football helmets & styles.
I have seen pretty much all styles & versions of leather football helmets and have never come across one exactly like this.
It does resemble in some was a few of the very early styles pre 1920 but the quality and condition is recent in my opinion. Looks like the leather hasn't even began to age yet.

I would suggest reaching out to Pasttime Sports- they do a LOT of recreations on the early helmets. You can also reach out to Helmet Hut for their idea's.

Charlie.

Maddog 02-14-2014 01:05 PM

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Sorry was actually thing of a different style helmet actually worn by Michigan in 1915. Similar except for the front.
The 8 spoke was used but sparingly and well before 1920. Here is an example of a 1910 version of the helmet. If this was indeed genuine (which I think not) it would command a nice price with vintage collectors. This particular style had a VERY short useful life span.

pgellis 02-14-2014 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my spoke helmet from my collection:

pgellis 02-14-2014 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another Photo:

perezfan 02-15-2014 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.... a black Reach model.

netennis 02-22-2014 05:19 PM

Additional information

4 Attachment(s)
I appreciate the information individuals have provided. I am providing additional pictures (front, back, and inside) of the helmet. The helmet came from a good friend of mine (85 years old from Pennsylvania) who has had it for years. It originally came from a hardware store in Philadelphia owned by a man over 80 years old and started by the over 80 year old man's father. Comments were made about the straight cutting of the leather. You will notice the pictures of helmets provided by individuals had very straight cut leather panels also. The helmet I am inquiring about additional information also is made of leather not synthetic material. It is rough on the back side as many pieces of old leather I have seen. The chin strap is shown in some of the pictures (as well as an old shoestring that was attached to it for some odd reason and has not been removed). I did check with the companies that make repo helmets and they felt it was original. Thanks again for all the help.

jpop43 02-23-2014 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Right up front, I'm not a vintage football helmet expert, but I really do like them and have seen a few in my time. I do have a bit more experience with vintage ball gloves, and sometimes, you do come across "new old stock", even really old, NOS. So, maybe its just possible that that's what we're seeing here. Again, I'll defer to those helmet experts out there and look forward to learning what we've got here after further dialogue.

To my point though, here is a glove that resides in our collection that fits the "new old stock" label even though its 90 years old.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com

MGHPro 02-23-2014 12:53 PM

I still have concerns - I would have to have it in had to change my mind -
Matt

rickybulldog50 02-23-2014 01:25 PM

Helmet

To me this looks like a repro that has been altered a little bit. I've had a couple of leather football helmets pre 20s and have owned an off brand spoked one (Biddle) before. What gives me the thoughts of it being a repro with possible older parts are: the newness of the leather and stamping, the liner appears to not match up with the spokes (bubbles out a little), the black elastic strap near the front looks similar to an executioner repro I once had. Most older helmets have the similar elastic strap that is on the chin strap of this one up near the visor. The ones near the visors are sometimes thicker than the elastic chin strap, but they look similar in appearance. The chin strap of this one looks old and very similar to the ones Mark and the other poster posted of their own spoked helmets, but the one on the visor looks too new for me.

Just my 2 cents, but there are a few things that just don't seem right. (Bubbling of the leather to the felt, stamping (unknown brand), black elastic strap.

Maddog 02-23-2014 06:02 PM

I agree with Matt. It's difficult to tell.
I know I have seen some repro's that looked great, they had the aged leather look and the patina.
Did you check with Helmet Hut? In my opinion, they are one of the top authorities in the area.

Good Luck,

Charlie.