Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A new PSA experience for me (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259680)

jhs5120 09-07-2018 07:33 AM

A new PSA experience for me

You guys have turned me into such a pessimistic grader.

Countless threads critiquing TPG grades have clearly taken a toll on me. A minor centering issue or even the slightest imperfection is now magnified and scrutinized. I have completely lost my ability to accurately grade cards.

Last month I bought a group of 1949 Bowman cards off ebay. In the group was a Jackie Robinson card that I intended to get graded. Looking at the card, I figured it would be a PSA 4 or 5 - it was extremely well centered, the registration was flawless, the front/back was clean, but the rough cut makes the corners look slightly worn. I sent it to PSA under the express service ($500-999 declared value) and declared the value at $999 (the approximate value of a PSA 4). Yesterday I received this email from PSA:

Hello Mr. Simonds,

I am writing on behalf of PSA regarding submission #XXXXXXXX (attached). This submission contains a card that does not qualify for the $50 fee due to its value. We understand that you had no way of knowing the grade; however, when the value does exceed the value limit for the fee you originally selected, we must make the proper adjustments.

Please see the attached printout of your submission with the correct fees noted in the right column.

In order to complete the process, I will need your approval to charge the correct total amount of $XXX. Please reply to this email at your convenience.

Thanks,

My first thought was "what the heck did they grade this card?" A PSA 8 NM-MT. I have never experienced a grade so different in my favor. Like I said, I have completely lost my ability to accurately assess the condition of a baseball card. I blame all of you ;)

ccre 09-07-2018 07:45 AM

Awesome story. Congrats! I still hate PSA.

bobbyw8469 09-07-2018 07:46 AM

A PSA 8!?!?!??!?! Scans please. And congrats!!!

swarmee 09-07-2018 07:58 AM

Have you looked at the standards for centering on PSA's website? A PSA can be up to 65/35 on the front *basically one border can be twice as wide as the other side* and 90/10 on the back *9 times the border on one side than the other*.

https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/

That being said, they are normally pretty lenient on rough cuts since that's the natural cut for the issue and means that the card hasn't been trimmed. I one day hope to get the same call of highly underestimating the value of my cards at PSA.

A2000 09-07-2018 10:57 AM

Congratulations! 🎉🎊

Lorewalker 09-07-2018 11:13 AM

Way to go! Not unusual for rough cuts on 49s. Nice to hear it went this way for you. Sounds like the ebay seller may have left a few bucks on the table. :eek:

jhs5120 09-07-2018 11:31 AM

Thanks all!

I will post a scan when I have the card in hand. It was certainly a pleasant surprise.

bobbyw8469 09-07-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 1810944)
Way to go! Not unusual for rough cuts on 49s. Nice to hear it went this way for you. Sounds like the ebay seller may have left a few bucks on the table. :eek:

LOL....You made me spit out my drink......yea.....one could say that.

cardsnstuff 09-07-2018 04:18 PM

that is awesome....CONGRATS

glynparson 09-07-2018 04:51 PM

A rough cut does not downgrade a vintage card in fact it often helps.

BruceinGa 09-07-2018 05:09 PM

Ding ding ding ding, a winner!!
Congrats:eek:

NiceDocter 09-07-2018 06:19 PM

Good news

You choked that one! Should have asked "How much would you need for a PSA 9?" LOL great story

NYYFan63 09-07-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhs5120 (Post 1810889)
You guys have turned me into such a pessimistic grader.

Countless threads critiquing TPG grades have clearly taken a toll on me. A minor centering issue or even the slightest imperfection is now magnified and scrutinized. I have completely lost my ability to accurately grade cards.

Last month I bought a group of 1949 Bowman cards off ebay. In the group was a Jackie Robinson card that I intended to get graded. Looking at the card, I figured it would be a PSA 4 or 5 - it was extremely well centered, the registration was flawless, the front/back was clean, but the rough cut makes the corners look slightly worn. I sent it to PSA under the express service ($500-999 declared value) and declared the value at $999 (the approximate value of a PSA 4). Yesterday I received this email from PSA:

Hello Mr. Simonds,

I am writing on behalf of PSA regarding submission #XXXXXXXX (attached). This submission contains a card that does not qualify for the $50 fee due to its value. We understand that you had no way of knowing the grade; however, when the value does exceed the value limit for the fee you originally selected, we must make the proper adjustments.

Please see the attached printout of your submission with the correct fees noted in the right column.

In order to complete the process, I will need your approval to charge the correct total amount of $XXX. Please reply to this email at your convenience.

Thanks,

My first thought was "what the heck did they grade this card?" A PSA 8 NM-MT. I have never experienced a grade so different in my favor. Like I said, I have completely lost my ability to accurately assess the condition of a baseball card. I blame all of you ;)

Wow awesome story! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drcy 09-07-2018 08:02 PM

"Can you lower it. I only have enough money to pay for a 7."

Leon 09-08-2018 11:03 AM

One of the few times people thank companies for charging them more for the same service. It's genius. And congrats. Regardless of my dry humor, if it is an 8? then that is greatness. They usually go the other way around, it seems.

swarmee 09-08-2018 12:29 PM

Is paying $10,000 worth of insurance the same as paying $2,000 worth of insurance on the package being sent back? Because there is a real charge requiring a submission change. I would presume the owner would like to be made full if the package was lost or stolen while in transit.
But this is one reason why many of us who submit to PSA recommend submitting at the lowest realistic submission level of the raw replacement value of a card in the same condition. Once it's graded and takes on an outsized value due to the grade, PSA will let you know if you need to get more insurance on the package.