Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help with another possible scammer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290647)

Throttlesteer 10-19-2020 09:19 PM

Help with another possible scammer

I recently sold a card worth around $500 to an international buyer. I used Ebay's international shipping program and sent via USPS Priority Mail. The card sold on Sept 11 and was delivered Sept. 22. The buyer messaged me today that the Beckett holder was damaged on the corner and would now like to return. It's nearly a month later and the auction clearly states no returns. However, Paypal has now frozen the amount of the auction and I'm stuck.

If the corner of the Beckett holder (the most durable of all TPG companies) was truly damaged, this donkey would have let me know back in September. It screams of a scam or the guy is upset the value of the card may have dropped. What am I up against here?

ullmandds 10-19-2020 09:31 PM

What was the card? Sounds like you may be screwed as Ebay/Paypal always favor the buyer. I just hope you get the actual card you sent?

Throttlesteer 10-19-2020 09:36 PM

In this case, it was a 1986 Jerry Rice BGS 8.5. He claims the corner of the case was damaged. Even though the auction states no returns and I DID insure with USPS, I'm expecting to get a swapped card.

Sounds like I just need to be done with selling anything on Ebay. There's nothing to protect fraud anymore. What would it take to break a corner on a Beckett holder? The buyer lives in Canada and I have his address. But it's probably not worth pursuing.

Directly 10-19-2020 10:09 PM

No returns in listing?

No returns in the listing doesn't mean they can't return any item, for any reason, maybe they found one cheaper, the item went down in value, changed their mind, etc.

The last time I shipped a item out of the country was a Samurai sword the buyer took the wrapping off the handle and didn't find any marking on the tang so changed his mind and returned the item in pieces--he did pay the return shipping!

Throttlesteer 10-19-2020 10:17 PM

So even buying insurance and shipping through Ebay's international program does squat for protecting you. My best guess is the "damaged corner" will actually be the guy swapping the card and there won't be a darn thing I can do about it. I guess your cards aren't worth anything if scammers will be allowed to scam.

Is there a way to see the actual shipping address, even though they list the reference number and Erlanger, KY address?

philliesfan 10-20-2020 05:18 AM

Just another reason I will not sell expensive cards on ebay. I only sell what I am willing to lose. I would rather sell to members of this board at a lower price than deal with the thieves on ebay. Plus I usually never sell anything other than stamps overseas.

swarmee 10-20-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2027225)
So even buying insurance and shipping through Ebay's international program does squat for protecting you. My best guess is the "damaged corner" will actually be the guy swapping the card and there won't be a darn thing I can do about it. I guess your cards aren't worth anything if scammers will be allowed to scam.

Is there a way to see the actual shipping address, even though they list the reference number and Erlanger, KY address?

If it went through global shipping, they have to refund you. That's part of the agreement. Call eBay and keep calling until you get the right rep on the phone. The subcontractor in Kentucky opened the package, confirmed you sent the right thing, repackaged it and mailed it to Canada. Your liability is over once they confirm it. You just have to get the right rep on the phone.

bnorth 10-20-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 2027248)
Just another reason I will not sell expensive cards on ebay. I only sell what I am willing to lose. I would rather sell to members of this board at a lower price than deal with the thieves on ebay. Plus I usually never sell anything other than stamps overseas.

+1 I do the same on eBay, just sell lower end stuff. Luckily I have never had a problem on there and I have been on eBay since right after they started.

I have also made several hundred transactions(mainly buying) on here with no major issues.

Ben Yourg 10-20-2020 09:00 AM

33 Goudey Stars

I keep seeing "Lou Gehrig" cards and "Babe Ruth" cards,for $3000.
---$5000.And in auctions,for 20% additional.And these are Mid-Grade.
What the heck is a whole set worth? And I mean minus "Lajoie"?

Buythatcard 10-20-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2027250)
If it went through global shipping, they have to refund you. That's part of the agreement. Call eBay and keep calling until you get the right rep on the phone. The subcontractor in Kentucky opened the package, confirmed you sent the right thing, repackaged it and mailed it to Canada. Your liability is over once they confirm it. You just have to get the right rep on the phone.

John is right. Just keep calling until you get the right rep. I had an issue with a buyer a few days ago and the eBay rep took care of the issue in my favor. It's just a matter of getting the right rep.

Throttlesteer 10-20-2020 02:38 PM

Just in case anyone encounters ABurdo or Anthony Burdo, steer clear.

RL 10-20-2020 03:26 PM

if you used the gsp (you ship to Kentucky) you will win.

if you used ebay international shipping, you will probably lose.

Ricky 10-20-2020 04:51 PM

Take a photo on your phone of every card you sell if possible alongside the shipping address. Might help with swapped cards.

Throttlesteer 11-10-2020 10:59 AM

Update on this situation, since I think it's helpful to share yet another scam: I did finally get refunded the cost of the card since I used GSP. However, this has a greater potential for someone within the US.

The buyer received the card and waited nearly a month, claiming they "just opened the package to find it was damaged." Then, they filed a return with Ebay, removing the PayPal from your account until the issue is settled. The buyer then provided shipping information back to me, which all looked legit. I was anticipating receiving a different card back (lower grade) inserted into a tampered BGS holder. Instead, he sent the package to a different zip code within the same city I'm in. I never received the package, even though it was shown as delivered. This information was included with my dispute. My best guess is, he sent something (probably not even a card) to a bogus address to try and prove that the item was returned and received. Whoever received it realized it was nothing of substance and didn't do anything with it. If the guy had picked the same zip code, this scam might have had a chance. Assuming I didn't use the GSP or it was a domestic purchase, this could have gone sideways in a hurry. Sellers be aware!

Throttlesteer 11-14-2020 04:31 PM

And I thought it was over. Today, PayPal just took thr money back again with no warning. Ebay shows case closed in buyers favor due to showing the item was returned. I sent an appeal but am guessing I'm going to have to spend time sitting on the phone to fight this.

Ebay sucks

Directly 11-14-2020 04:55 PM

USPS Insurance

This might be a bad scenario concerning filing a USPS Insurance claim too?
You don't have the damaged card to surrender for proof of the damage to file a claim. You might try asking your local Post office for some suggestions if the wrong addressee had to sign for the card . Appears this possibly might be a manipulated process by the buyer to get the card free? ( at least when I recently filed a missing card claim, I did have a damaged compromised empty box to surrender to my local Post office for some proof --which I hope will help my claim case?)

cammb 11-15-2020 06:02 PM

By any chance, are you using a P.O. Box.

Throttlesteer 11-15-2020 06:52 PM

No, home address. Even though he supposedly sent the card back, the tracking showed the package being sent to a totally different zip code in the same city. Needless to say, no package ever arrived. But, Ebay closed the case and drained the money from my PayPal. The details claimed it was confirmed to have been delivered to my address, which is BS. I did everything I could, insured card to GSP, and they took it from there. When I received the "BGS holder is cracked and he's returning it" email 30bdaysbafter it was delivered, I knew i was in for a scam. I just can't believe Ebay is that easy to cheat. Im calling tomorrow.

Eric72 11-15-2020 09:55 PM

Isn't this mail fraud by the "buyer" of the card you sold?

chalupacollects 11-16-2020 06:50 AM

Time to put the guy on blast...here BO, FB IG everywhere...

Throttlesteer 11-16-2020 10:41 AM

I'm not on BO or the other forums. But, I support anyone that wants to run with it on my behalf. Anthony Burdo shouldn't be allowed to buy or sell on any site.

Ebay is still playing hard ball and they've made it near impossible to get to a live person. Now that they've magically taken my money and closed the case, I can't access the Canadian postal info to track on their site. I will need this to file a mail fraud claim.

maniac_73 11-16-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2027384)
Just in case anyone encounters ABurdo or Anthony Burdo, steer clear.

Anthony Burdo from Toronto? DM me if it is

jbbama 11-16-2020 11:32 AM

sorry....

Not to pile on, because that sux...but NEVER EVER leave funds in paypal when you are a seller, i learned my lesson years ago.

Throttlesteer 11-16-2020 03:04 PM

They just pull it from your bank if you don't have PayPal

bnorth 11-16-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2035800)
They just pull it from your bank if you don't have PayPal

Yes, if you also drained your bank account then you get that awesome overdraft charge. I am lucky and have never had a problem with eBay/PayPal. Others have told me PayPal doesn't have a problem quickly turning it over to a collection agency.

jchcollins 11-17-2020 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your situation. I've been in similar ones with eBay, and they can be agonizing.

Besides the main point perhaps, but I would disagree that Beckett slabs are the "most durable." They are the thickest, yes. But once you compromise the corners and/or the seal, they start to chip quite easily. The plastic they are made of is not bulletproof by a long shot. If not protected properly, the corners on a Beckett slab could chip quickly during shipment, I would think.

On the overall here, this is why I really shy away from selling on eBay anymore. You can mark "no returns" all you like all over your listing, but their notoriety for favoring the buyer at this point is well established. I sell in FB groups or places like the B/S/T here, and perhaps it's still not great, but if you only have to deal with Paypal G&S terms in a dispute - it's at least easier. I would also agree with what has already been said - don't leave cash from a sale like that just sitting in your PP account - although you have to have a credit card on file and if they decide to resolve something not in your favor - I suppose per the fine print they have the right to ding you that way as well.